Flew my stock P4 3.66 miles!

Reaction score
Completely calm conditions this morning. Max distance was 19,335.7 feet at ~175 feet. 3.66 miles!!! Is that a world record for stock P4? Total flight distance was 38,839.1 feet with a total flight time of 14 minutes 41 seconds. Landed with 30% battery.

Controller signal was full scale and HD downlink was -1 bar when I turned around. I believe I could have pushed it farther but didn't want to risk having to land in the water.

Completely stock P4 and controller running auto channel mode. Any questions? Just ask! Photo of me was after I completed the flight. :)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 1,067
  • image.png
    image.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 1,008
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 708
Here are a few pics from the flight. I was flying out into the sun so I didn't record the video. Flying out was the sun and a black screen. Haha.

The island is where I turned around. Out over the open water is looking back at the marina and the last pic is the marina.

Thanks again for looking.

All pics were default settings, no ND filter, and white balance set to sunny.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 740
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 678
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 671
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 657
Reactions: Pogopilot
Nice... I haven't gotten anywhere close but I was surrounded by houses.

What marina?

Great job! Maybe not a 'world' record yet, but definitely a PhantomPilots record!! Congrats.

Reactions: Kman
Callville Bay Marina on Lake Mead outside Las Vegas.

Largest inland marina in the United States.

That is so funny! I knew I recognized it! My grandparents had a houseboat there....

Did you buy from DJI or Apple? Also did you pre-order? Just looking to see if maybe there might have been a bad batch.

And that is the key to long range whether with the P4, P3, P2, etc.. An RF-clean environment makes all the difference in the world. A couple days ago I tried a 2 mile run from Port Covington in South Baltimore to downtown. Clear LOS all the way. I made it about 4900-5100' in three attempts at various altitudes (manual on channel 32 - will be trying this again in auto mode). Just too much RF interference to contend with due to all of the houses & businesses below. Great flight Kman! :cool:

Keep in mind, out at the lake there is no internet so there is no WiFi interference.

And that is the key to long range whether with the P4, P3, P2, etc.. An RF-clean environment makes all the difference in the world. A couple days ago I tried a 2 mile run from Port Covington in South Baltimore to downtown. Clear LOS all the way. I made it about 4900-5100' in three attempts at various altitudes (manual on channel 32 - will be trying this again in auto mode). Just too much RF interference to contend with due to all of the houses & businesses below. Great flight Kman! :cool:

I'm curious - why do you prefer running in manual mode? Auto mode should specifically look for the clearest part of the spectrum, and so I would expect it to perform better. I never attempted to dictate channel usage on the original LB unit that I have on the P2. Am I missing something?

Where in the APP is auto mode please. Still waiting for my p4 so I can't browse. Great results by the way

Sitting at work is brutal when you have a P4 at home....LOL

Completely calm conditions this morning. Max distance was 19,335.7 feet at ~175 feet. 3.66 miles!!! Is that a world record for stock P4? Total flight distance was 38,839.1 feet with a total flight time of 14 minutes 41 seconds. Landed with 30% battery.

Controller signal was full scale and HD downlink was -1 bar when I turned around. I believe I could have pushed it farther but didn't want to risk having to land in the water.

Completely stock P4 and controller running auto channel mode. Any questions? Just ask! Photo of me was after I completed the flight. :)
Very nicely done, and very nicely documented! Great job

Nice run! With all these people criticizing the range issues of the P4 without considering the ever changing conditions of the surroundings they are flying this is a good example of a optimal condition run! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Noble 1 and Kman
Unless DJI has changed things in the latest Go app in auto mode it appears you are limited to only 8 channels. In manual mode you have 32 available.

I'm curious - why do you prefer running in manual mode? Auto mode should specifically look for the clearest part of the spectrum, and so I would expect it to perform better. I never attempted to dictate channel usage on the original LB unit that I have on the P2. Am I missing something?

VERY curious how auto is for you. Please report back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik