Flew away

Reaction score
I was using my new phantom in a new location for the first time Saturday morning. I took it up to about 200' and was going to film the area below. It just ran itself up to about 500' and flew off over the horizon as fast as it could go. Not drifting, full speed away. I was next to a vast wooded area and looked as best I could, but it is just gone.

My question is WTF! I had my name, number and reward stuck on it just in case but I don't feel good about the outcome.

I have only had this a month. Is there any guarantees from company on this? If I decide to replace it (I really enjoy it) is there anyway to make sure this doesn't happen again? I really can't afford to have it and my GoPro fly away every month.

Any suggestions?

pestymegal said:
I was using my new phantom in a new location for the first time Saturday morning. I took it up to about 200' and was going to film the area below. It just ran itself up to about 500' and flew off over the horizon as fast as it could go. Not drifting, full speed away. I was next to a vast wooded area and looked as best I could, but it is just gone.

My question is WTF! I had my name, number and reward stuck on it just in case but I don't feel good about the outcome.

I have only had this a month. Is there any guarantees from company on this? If I decide to replace it (I really enjoy it) is there anyway to make sure this doesn't happen again? I really can't afford to have it and my GoPro fly away every month.

Any suggestions?
I had no red lights and was in GPS mode.

This is starting to get silly now with the number of flyaways being reported for the Phantom (and others equipped with the Naza).

Seriously thinking about ditching the Naza for an APM.

That totally sucks....were using a stock transmitter/receiver? I have had a flyaway as well....but it was on me because i had low battery...but it was scarey...luckily it was night and i saw about where it went down walked about 200 yards into the bush and saw the lights still on...i was very lucky to get it back and without much damage.....i fly with my FiLiFi on now....

Really sorry to hear about that. :( So far I've been lucky, but the stories have spooked me to the point that I fly with both the Garmin GTU 10 as well as the Skylark OSD with separate GPS, so I record the GPS coordinates in real time on my FPV monitor as well as being able to locate it on my smartphone with the Garmin app. I hope mine doesn't fly off, but I have two ways to find the little bugger if it does. :)

If you decide to go that route, please let this community know how you would compare and contrast these two technologies. I've never used APM FCs, but from what I've read, they require considerably more technical commitment. What is gained in return is more control and greater mission flexibility.

Not sure APM in its current form is really a viable option for many Phantom users. Look at the number of posts here regarding flight experiences (positive and negative) from pilots who haven't even read all of the Phantom online docs before their maiden flights. If one finds all the switch patterns, flight modes, and interpretation of LED patterns challenging, then APM might not be the solution. I suspect that if the Phantom pilot pool were started with APM, there would be far fewer satisfactory experiences. The number of fly-aways might be reduced to some extent, but perhaps only because so many more couldn't achieve flight in the first place.

However for those like yourself who are willing to make the commitment and possess the technical skills, the APM solution may be superior to the Phantom, which is DJI's attempt at a Multirotor for a much broader audience.

Steve

rilot said:
This is starting to get silly now with the number of flyaways being reported for the Phantom (and others equipped with the Naza).

Seriously thinking about ditching the Naza for an APM.

pestymegal said:

Any suggestions?

Sorry about your loss. It has happened to me too. I would buy a used one, or look at another platform.

Unfortunately, the only thing DJI and Colin guarantees is that this will happen to everyone eventually.

They refuse to acknowledge the issue, they have done NOTHING to fix it. Sometimes a dealer eats a replacement for a good customer, but DJI do nothing to support their users.

I would not buy from them again. When my current Phantom takes off again, that will be it for me. I'll move to another platform to see if there is any improvement.

Colin is sooooo busy counting his money and attending trade shows to care.

Sorry to be so negative.

Darren

justsomeguy said:
CameraGuy said:
They refuse to acknowledge the issue, they have done NOTHING to fix it. Sometimes a dealer eats a replacement for a good customer, but DJI do nothing to support their users.

My experience has been different. While I have not seen DJI publicly acknowledge any flyaway problem, they certainly supported me when they replaced my flyaway (although it took quite a while). No dealer involved.

My comment stands. Unless you care to post their email accepting blame for your flyaway.

DJI is not honorable. You are one of a few who received ANY support from DJI Worldwide!!!!!!!!

Enjoy what you were given. It was a gift. The rest of us got screwed, and more people continue to get fu$ked over by Colin and DJI

D

pestymegal said:

Any suggestions?

Okay some good news. This happened to me Saturday in Manhattan, KS about 1 mile away from Colbert Hills Golf Course. Yesterday I was there and a friend of my son who works there said he heard the KSU golf team found it and it was pretty messed up. They thought it was a kids toy and threw it in the trash (I'll make my if found stickers a little clearer next time). I sent my kid out there and he went dumpster diving and found my phantom. It is in pretty bad shape and I'm not sure how, where or if it is repairable. The GoPro was not on it. My son said something to the golf pro and he asked the KSU golf team if they new anything about the camera. They did not, but the golf coach had them go back to where they found it in the grass and search. I just got a call and they found the camera. I can't wait to get it back as it was recording when it flew off. Ought to be interesting.
Now i have to figure how to repair. One of the arms is half broke off. Is there a site for parts, can a guy send it in or do you just buy another and use the old one for back up parts?
If I ever get it going again flying it will scare the crap out of me. Makes me wonder if the GPS from the golf carts messed it up.

I'm really happy the OP got his Phantom back, even if it is a bit messed up, camera too ! there are parts available pretty freely, our local dealer in Toronto carries frames etc in stock, so I imagine most dealers do.

You know, I wish people who have axes to grind wouldn't take every chance to jump on threads to vent, it's just bloody tedious. I had a flyaway -blah blah blah- DJI are **** -blah blah blah- All phantoms will flyaway cos they are crap -blah blah blah- Colin Guinn hates me -blah blah blah-

Enough already, move on !!

justsomeguy said:

My experience has been different. While I have not seen DJI publicly acknowledge any flyaway problem, they certainly supported me when they replaced my flyaway (although it took quite a while). No dealer involved.[/quote]

My comment stands. Unless you care to post their email accepting blame for your flyaway.

DJI is not honorable. You are one of a few who received ANY support from DJI Worldwide!!!!!!!!

Enjoy what you were given. It was a gift. The rest of us got screwed, and more people continue to get fu$ked over by Colin and DJI

D[/quote]

Hold on there cowboy! You aren't you insinuating that I am lying or something, are you? Because that would be really weird. My emails with DJI are between them and me and aren't for your consumption. Sorry bub.

It sounds like you got a bad deal. The simple fact is that others (for whatever reason...they handled it differently, weren't abrasive, caught DJI USA on a good day, understood how to apply the appropriate amount of pressure in the right manner, etc.) have received replacement Phantoms working directly with DJI USA.

You seem to be really, really worked up over the loss of a toy.[/quote]

Where did I say you lied?

I simply statred and you didn't choose to change or challenge that DJI doesn't support the MAJORITY of people who have flyaways.

Be happy. You were perfect, got more than the rest of us.

D

marcus_canada said:
I'm really happy the OP got his Phantom back, even if it is a bit messed up, camera too ! there are parts available pretty freely, our local dealer in Toronto carries frames etc in stock, so I imagine most dealers do.

You know, I wish people who have axes to grind wouldn't take every chance to jump on threads to vent, it's just bloody tedious. I had a flyaway -blah blah blah- DJI are **** -blah blah blah- All phantoms will flyaway cos they are crap -blah blah blah- Colin Guinn hates me -blah blah blah-

Enough already, move on !!

Marcus,

If you are not happy with my unhappiness with DJI, that's too sad.

I'll post what I want. I think DJI and Colin are not honorable. My f,ing right.

D

pestymegal said:
pestymegal said:

Any suggestions?

Okay some good news. This happened to me Saturday in Manhattan, KS about 1 mile away from Colbert Hills Golf Course. Yesterday I was there and a friend of my son who works there said he heard the KSU golf team found it and it was pretty messed up. They thought it was a kids toy and threw it in the trash (I'll make my if found stickers a little clearer next time). I sent my kid out there and he went dumpster diving and found my phantom. It is in pretty bad shape and I'm not sure how, where or if it is repairable. The GoPro was not on it. My son said something to the golf pro and he asked the KSU golf team if they new anything about the camera. They did not, but the golf coach had them go back to where they found it in the grass and search. I just got a call and they found the camera. I can't wait to get it back as it was recording when it flew off. Ought to be interesting.
Now i have to figure how to repair. One of the arms is half broke off. Is there a site for parts, can a guy send it in or do you just buy another and use the old one for back up parts?
If I ever get it going again flying it will scare the crap out of me. Makes me wonder if the GPS from the golf carts messed it up.

I hope you can post the full flight video it should be interesting to see what happened.

It's more likely to be a problem with the compass.. If it can't work out its position it will tend to dart around but if the heading is bad it will just accelerate off in the wrong direction thinking its fighting with a strong wind.

stargazer75 said:
It could be interference, but not from GPS. GPS uses a lower frequency than the TX.

You can't get interference from GPS devices regardless of frequency, GPS units are receivers, they do not transmit anything.

justsomeguy said:
CameraGuy said:
Where did I say you lied?

I simply statred and you didn't choose to change or challenge that DJI doesn't support the MAJORITY of people who have flyaways.

Be happy. You were perfect, got more than the rest of us.

D

First off. You need to learn how to use the quote function. It's not that hard and it makes following your emotional rants a little bit easier.

Secondly, when someone (you) posts something like this:

"My comment stands. Unless you care to post their email accepting blame for your flyaway." most rational folks will consider that passive-aggressive nonsense as calling someone out for their truthfulness. If it wasn't intended that way and you were merely being awkward again, you have my apologies.

I get it. You're butthurt about DJI and your inability to get resolution to your problem. That explains this gem, about a lost toy, no less:

"You were perfect, got more than the rest of us."

I wasn't perfect nor did I ever claim to be. That's you being irrational (again).

Reading your posts it sure sounds like you need some therapy or at least need to find a "DJI has been mean to me and I be so angry at everyone" support group.

First, I have posted more helpful posts than my - "rants on DJI customer service"

Second, I am entitled to my opinion that DJI does not support their customers. NO ONE HAS DISPROVED IT.

I'm thrilled for you. Couldn't be happier that DJI looked after you.

Lastly, I didn't attack you personally, your attacks on me were personal. The one of us who has stepped over the line is apparently "Justsomeguy"

Record set straight.

D

CameraGuy said:
First, I have posted more helpful posts than my - "rants on DJI customer service"
Second, I am entitled to my opinion that DJI does not support their customers. NO ONE HAS DISPROVED IT.
I'm thrilled for you. Couldn't be happier that DJI looked after you.
Lastly, I didn't attack you personally, your attacks on me were personal. The one of us who has stepped over the line is apparently "Justsomeguy"
Record set straight.
D
That's all fine buddy, but can you do ALL of us a favour and simply not jump on any chance you get to bash the Phantom, DJI and Colin.... ?
I get you're unhappy with your experiences, I'm sure everyone on this forum gets that and we have sympathy but please, for ours and your sanity, move on....

martcerv said:
pestymegal said:
pestymegal said:

Any suggestions?

I hope you can post the full flight video it should be interesting to see what happened.

I got to the office this morning so excited to see what happen to my phantom. Plugged in the camera discovered I did not have the go button pushed when it flew off. When it crashed the camera case button was on the bottom and turned on the camera. I have 20 minute of video of grass before the battery went dead.
My inexperience with GoPro and RC Phantom is even amazing to me a this point. I didn't even get the satisfaction of seeing it crash.
Time to move forward!

pestymegal said:
I got to the office this morning so excited to see what happen to my phantom. Plugged in the camera discovered I did not have the go button pushed when it flew off. When it crashed the camera case button was on the bottom and turned on the camera. I have 20 minute of video of grass before the battery went dead.
My inexperience with GoPro and RC Phantom is even amazing to me a this point. I didn't even get the satisfaction of seeing it crash.
Time to move forward!

hahaha, classic. How many times have I switched off the record instead of switched on? Well, at least the camera is working, now go fix the Phantom and get back up on the horse ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers