Flew away! Strange circumstances this time

I have (or had rather) 2 P3P's actually 3 if you count the one i bought from a friend to help him out and resold the other day. I even bought the 2 year square trade warranty on this one that flew off. If I had crashed it i wouldn't be making up a story because square trade would just replace it no questions asked. This sucker went into a full power state and took off! This is the first I have ever heard of something like this as well.

BTW I am seriously considering not flying the only remaining one I have until my flytrex arrives in 2 weeks. If I had it I would have found it.

What happenned to your first P3P, may i ask ?

I had a similar,however not exact, situation with the p2v+.
I flew it at one place, landed it at a different place, turned the motors off however the battery was still on (I didn't realize). Walked with it while on then put it on the ground for a new launch. Turned on the motors and it went up ok, when I tried to land it, it was about 1 ft off the ground. It suddenly took off and flew away without me having any control. As it turned out, it was doing an RTH to my first location.

Maybe what it did in yours was similar. It had a different home point, you moved to the new location while it was on, so the battery drained. Then you started the motors. One thing to note is that when you move your drone when it is on, it always gets compass calibration issues. Could be that in conjunction with a different home point, and off it went.

I now make sure that if I move between two different locations, to turn off the P3 completely.

You said that you turned of the remote, but did you launch the DJI app on your mobile device before you turned on the P3P power?

Holy cow. That is horrible. I feel so bad for you. I just bought a P3 and haven't received it yet but this freaks me out. I just ordered a Trackimo due to this thread.
This is the one and only occurrence that I have ever heard on this forum regarding this type of flyaway. and that is from thousands on this forum with many flights. -- so don't take it for fact j and panic yet, till everything flushes out. -- please correct me if I wrong-- this fly away leaves room for doubt and begs for the facts which are pretty sparse at this time. The last sentence in the original post is troubling to say the least.

I just followed up on this on RC forum with Blade Strike and Ed, A few flags were raised? Did you respond to DJI yet?
The 3d party App you had on your Nexus 6 seems to be drawing attention to possible cross contamination of the software.
This "MITE" be something others should be aware of if using other Apps.
Sorry for your loss.

Do you have a link to the other thread you're referring to so I can put my mind at ease? If it was truly down to interference from a 3rd party app then I'm no longer worried

Do you have a link to the other thread you're referring to so I can put my mind at ease? If it was truly down to interference from a 3rd party app then I'm no longer worried

Here is the link for the RC Groups that you should check out..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2384430

Mind you this group moves very fast....
Use search to your benefit.
I found the threads about 4 days back from the last page this morning it could be another 20 pages by now deep.... Am I going to spend time doing it again.. NOPE

fishy.jpg

Last edited:
What happenned to your first P3P, may i ask ?

Sitting in my basement with cracks in the arms and a gimbal with severe horizon tilt issues. Bought this new one to use while I sent my first one back to dji but i didnt get a chance to do that yet. BTW my first one got cracks around a couple motors. My friends had cracks on 2 arms near the motors and this new one with only a couple flights had a small piece missing at one motor bolt hole. Tell me dji doesnt have a shell issue!

This is the one and only occurrence that I have ever heard on this forum regarding this type of flyaway. and that is from thousands on this forum with many flights. -- so don't take it for fact j and panic yet, till everything flushes out. -- please correct me if I wrong-- this fly away leaves room for doubt and begs for the facts which are pretty sparse at this time. The last sentence in the original post is troubling to say the least.

Agreed but what was I to do? The app would not connect and neither would the remote. The light stayed red meaning no connection to the craft. Enter camera was greyed out.

These are the apps that were in the background

This shows my last flight was earlier that day on the 13th

These are the only flights on this new craft. I notice all the info is wrong for some reason?

That does suck. Very odd. Do you think it was your unit, or pilot error? A high percentage of events can be put down to pilot error.

Always turn on the remote and open the app before turning on the aircraft. You're only asking for trouble if you turn on the aircraft before anything else. That goes for any rc model.

Reactions: S5S5G6 and bobmyers
Agreed but what was I to do? The app would not connect and neither would the remote. The light stayed red meaning no connection to the craft. Enter camera was greyed out.

These are the apps that were in the background

This shows my last flight was earlier that day on the 13th

These are the only flights on this new craft. I notice all the info is wrong for some reason?

Thanks for posting, something for everyone to look at and try to help.

Always turn on the remote and open the app before turning on the aircraft. You're only asking for trouble if you turn on the aircraft before anything else. That goes for any rc model.
Check list! we get too lax sometime-- me included

That does suck. Very odd. Do you think it was your unit, or pilot error? A high percentage of events can be put down to pilot error.

I dont think it was pilot error in this case. Remote was on and app were open. Bent down to turn p3p on and a second later it went full blast. I frantically tried to get the remote and app the connect but the remote indicator stayed red and the app enter camera view stayed greyed out. I think it was just a freak of nature and a circuit malfunctioned sending full power to the esc's. That is the only logical explanation i can think of. I am sure the dji techs that really know these things inside and out would have a better idea I would hope. I would be thrilled with a new bird and battery but I would accept a steep discount. The next one will have flytrex on it. They are now shipping pre orders and I should be very early in the line. They expect to get all pre orders shipped out with in 2 weeks.

I dont think it was pilot error in this case. Remote was on and app were open. Bent down to turn p3p on and a second later it went full blast. I frantically tried to get the remote and app the connect but the remote indicator stayed red and the app enter camera view stayed greyed out. I think it was just a freak of nature and a circuit malfunctioned sending full power to the esc's. That is the only logical explanation i can think of. I am sure the dji techs that really know these things inside and out would have a better idea I would hope. I would be thrilled with a new bird and battery but I would accept a steep discount. The next one will have flytrex on it. They are now shipping pre orders and I should be very early in the line. They expect to get all pre orders shipped out with in 2 weeks.
Three questions: What version of the DJI GO APP and do you know the firmware version on the controller.. and what firmware version on the Phantom?

I agree I have been flying rc for many years always transmitter on first before the model.
Always do the same with my phantom.
Of course glitches can still occur. I always thought auto takeoff was a bad idea!

Sounds like you are thinking he is not telling the truth?
Been into RC for more than 2 decades and NOTHING would surprise me when it comes to these things having a mind of their own at times.
Give the guy the same benefit of the doubt you would want.
As for his last sentence, what's wrong with it? I think it is just a figure of speech, no? I do not think he is going to fly to China and burn down DJI buildings or anything like that. I'd be just as pissed if they did nothing to help in this situation. DJI has a bad reputation that they have well earned when it comes to customer service.

Sounds like you are thinking he is not telling the truth?
Been into RC for more than 2 decades and NOTHING would surprise me when it comes to these things having a mind of their own at times.
Give the guy the same benefit of the doubt you would want.
As for his last sentence, what's wrong with it? I think it is just a figure of speech, no? I do not think he is going to fly to China and burn down DJI buildings or anything like that. I'd be just as pissed if they did nothing to help in this situation. DJI has a bad reputation that they have well earned when it comes to customer service.

Agreed. Plus the OP has been a member for a lot longer than most posting in this thread and has made a number of posts. Not simply a new member that has an axe to grind.

Very unusual. I'll think twice now before turning on the P3 before the RC - I've been doing that so it has plenty of time to get a good SAT lock.

I just followed up on this on RC forum with Blade Strike and Ed, A few flags were raised? Did you respond to DJI yet?
The 3d party App you had on your Nexus 6 seems to be drawing attention to possible cross contamination of the software.
This "MITE" be something others should be aware of if using other Apps.
Sorry for your loss.
App cross-contamination...classic. Sounds like a cop-out. He stated the RC wasn't even linked with a red light before the fly away...how can any app be involved.

Reactions: Dadcat

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj