Flew away! Strange circumstances this time

Are you certain you turned on your remote first? Did you try the simulator to see if maybe your controller is defective?
What simulator?

now that's the true definition of a "fly away". sorry to hear it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This video come to mind.... It's not a rare thing.. its happening....

I believe in iOS there is a flight simulator. It's not in the android app though. I'm running android, so I don't know much about it.

I run android as well but I don't think DJI ever shipped the simulator.

@prostreetcamaro Sorry for you loss buddy. Afraid you are going to have double pain pretty soon. First the loss of bird and then when your Flytrex shows up.

I have one that is very puzzling for you guys. Turned my remote on, bent over and turned p3p on and turned around to walk away and it came to life, shot up and away as fast as it could and would not respond to the remote. I frantically tried to open and get the app connected while trying to get it to respond to the controls but the app also would not connect. Very quickly it was gone out of sight. Since the app would not connect it did not create any logs at all. This thing was only maybe 2 weeks old with just a few flights on it. Bought it along with the 2 year square trade warranty from BH photo. Gotta get in touch with DJI and square trade today and see if either of them can offer a solution. I have my doubts about dji since there are no logs and I dont think square trade will cover it if I cant retrieve it to send it to them? Everybody cross your fingers for me.

If DJI wont do anything I will be DJI's worst nightmare.

Bizzar story. Would be good if hi could have also included info on your Phantom such as firmware version etc. I guess your Phantom 3 wanted to go bald to China. Hope you get some resolution and hope it didn't land on anyone.

Did it just fly straight up? Did it fly up for a bit and then horizontally? Did you try turning the remote off?

Went full blast up and away so i dont think it went into RTH mode. That mode goes straight up then in the direction of home point. It was silent for a couple seconds then went full blast.

Went full blast up and away so i dont think it went into RTH mode. That mode goes straight up then in the direction of home point. It was silent for a couple seconds then went full blast.

I know you fly from home often. Had you flown somewhere else recently. Different home point? Not even sure that is possible but if you had I would go look there as long it wasn't Florida :)

Very odd, sorry to hear this.

I always attach the props last, just before take-off, have done this since I got into the game. Also much easier to do a compass cali. without props in the way.

Reactions: Colorado68
My guess is that it lost connection to the RC. My suggestion is to re bind the craft to the RC after these firmware updates.

Don't get too stressed over "all these stories" - I'm not saying that weird stuff doesn't happen - but you have to remember that human nature is to report abnormalities.... so for each crash/fly-away story you read - think about the 1000's of successful flights that people don't bother posting anything about. It's called the availability bias - people always get more afraid to fly when a plane crashes than when they haven't heard about a crash in a long time. Don't let these very specific instances ruin your enjoyment of the hobby... just see if you can learn from them or help the poster....

You are of course correct, but omg I would probably just sit down on the ground for an hour if such a thing were to happen to me. I am at the computer making a kick-a$$ check list to put inside of my carry case so it will be in my face every time I open it. :)

Sounds pretty weird-- a little too weird to buy into and the first one recorded on this forum that I know of. I hope this isn't just another DJI sabotage story.

If that actually happened, really sorry about that. Hope you find it soon or get it replaced.

Reactions: BenDronePilot
So it flew without the bird arming the props and binding woth the rc first? Thats really weird

Reactions: Trumple
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This video come to mind.... It's not a rare thing.. its happening....

The scenario he is describing is where the quad lands then, after a short time, takes off to try and fly "home" due to low battery.

The scenario prostreetcamaro is describing is that the RC was turned on, then the quad, then with no input it simply flew away without warming up or arming the motors (the little revving up it does at the start)

prostreetcamaro, did it fly off towards the location you last flew at? What it sounds like is that the quad turned on and resumed its last state - meaning, it wasn't connected to the RC and it thought it was very far away from home point, so tried to RTH.
You're certain it was turned off between flights? Did you remove/replace the battery between flights?

I just followed up on this on RC forum with Blade Strike and Ed, A few flags were raised? Did you respond to DJI yet?
The 3d party App you had on your Nexus 6 seems to be drawing attention to possible cross contamination of the software.
This "MITE" be something others should be aware of if using other Apps.
Sorry for your loss.

The scenario he is describing is where the quad lands then, after a short time, takes off to try and fly "home" due to low battery.

The scenario prostreetcamaro is describing is that the RC was turned on, then the quad, then with no input it simply flew away without warming up or arming the motors (the little revving up it does at the start)

prostreetcamaro, did it fly off towards the location you last flew at? What it sounds like is that the quad turned on and resumed its last state - meaning, it wasn't connected to the RC and it thought it was very far away from home point, so tried to RTH.
You're certain it was turned off between flights? Did you remove/replace the battery between flights?

Yeah it was a fresh battery. It did head in the direction where i last flew it earlier in the day.

Sounds pretty weird-- a little too weird to buy into and the first one recorded on this forum that I know of. I hope this isn't just another DJI sabotage story.

If that actually happened, really sorry about that. Hope you find it soon or get it replaced.

I have (or had rather) 2 P3P's actually 3 if you count the one i bought from a friend to help him out and resold the other day. I even bought the 2 year square trade warranty on this one that flew off. If I had crashed it i wouldn't be making up a story because square trade would just replace it no questions asked. This sucker went into a full power state and took off! This is the first I have ever heard of something like this as well.

BTW I am seriously considering not flying the only remaining one I have until my flytrex arrives in 2 weeks. If I had it I would have found it.

Holy cow. That is horrible. I feel so bad for you. I bought a P3 and haven't received it yet but this freaks me out. I just ordered a Trackimo due to this thread.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31