Flew away! Strange circumstances this time

Reaction score
I have one that is very puzzling for you guys. Turned my remote on, bent over and turned p3p on and turned around to walk away and it came to life, shot up and away as fast as it could and would not respond to the remote. I frantically tried to open and get the app connected while trying to get it to respond to the controls but the app also would not connect. Very quickly it was gone out of sight. Since the app would not connect it did not create any logs at all. This thing was only maybe 2 weeks old with just a few flights on it. Bought it along with the 2 year square trade warranty from BH photo. Gotta get in touch with DJI and square trade today and see if either of them can offer a solution. I have my doubts about dji since there are no logs and I dont think square trade will cover it if I cant retrieve it to send it to them? Everybody cross your fingers for me.

If DJI wont do anything I will be DJI's worst nightmare.

Sorry about your loss... that's definitely one of the weirdest stories I have heard. Had you just updated or something?

Please tell me you received your Flytrex and it was installed.

I have one that is very puzzling for you guys. Turned my remote on, bent over and turned p3p on and turned around to walk away and it came to life, shot up and away as fast as it could and would not respond to the remote. I frantically tried to open and get the app connected while trying to get it to respond to the controls but the app also would not connect. Very quickly it was gone out of sight. Since the app would not connect it did not create any logs at all. This thing was only maybe 2 weeks old with just a few flights on it. Bought it along with the 2 year square trade warranty from BH photo. Gotta get in touch with DJI and square trade today and see if either of them can offer a solution. I have my doubts about dji since there are no logs and I dont think square trade will cover it if I cant retrieve it to send it to them? Everybody cross your fingers for me.

You've been flying for a while now, was this a backup P3 or a replacement?

Sorry about your loss... that's definitely one of the weirdest stories I have heard. Had you just updated or something?

I had maybe 3 flights on the most recent update. I flew it once earlier in the day. This flight was a little over 15,000' away. Everything worked fine here.

Certainly a strange one.
Did your P3 go through the engine start up we typically see when performing a CSC or did it just up and fly away?

Are you saying the motors started themselves?
image.jpg

Reactions: GlennG
First of all, so sorry to hear this bad news. Second, I am starting to hold my breath through flights now due to all of the stories of flyaways I have heard. I've been fine through 25 flights and an upgrade so far, but omg it sounds like a random "could happen to anyone at any time" sort of thing. It actually has me considering limiting my flights ahead of a one-month road trip out west this fall.

I'm sorry your phantom flew away. All these stories makes me think twice before taking off.. Will it be my last flight?

I'm interested in knowing the answer to Colorado68 question: Did the drone did the usual startup routing? (2 Thrust acceleration to tighten the props)

Are you certain you turned on your remote first? Did you try the simulator to see if maybe your controller is defective?

That got to be a first! Wow.

So, your bird maybe at the first home location, or somewhere between? Man, that sucks!

That is a new one. Hope you had a phone number on the run a way. She had to land somewhere.

First of all, so sorry to hear this bad news. Second, I am starting to hold my breath through flights now due to all of the stories of flyaways I have heard. I've been fine through 25 flights and an upgrade so far, but omg it sounds like a random "could happen to anyone at any time" sort of thing. It actually has me considering limiting my flights ahead of a one-month road trip out west this fall.

Don't get too stressed over "all these stories" - I'm not saying that weird stuff doesn't happen - but you have to remember that human nature is to report abnormalities.... so for each crash/fly-away story you read - think about the 1000's of successful flights that people don't bother posting anything about. It's called the availability bias - people always get more afraid to fly when a plane crashes than when they haven't heard about a crash in a long time. Don't let these very specific instances ruin your enjoyment of the hobby... just see if you can learn from them or help the poster....

What was your fail safe mode set to?

Does anyone know if that mode setting & others are saved/persistent on the aircraft, or if it downloads them from the RC upon each power up?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub