Flew at a Public Park, got stopped

Chicago tried to pass a law this week saying that you have to get permission and pay a fee to fly in any Park. So many drone pilots showed up and told their side, they had to table the vote for more study. It's all about the money here.

When you have to get permission AND pay, it doesn't feel like the Land of the Free so much.

Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker no this forum and finally decided I am capable to fly a phantom to enjoy and record some beautiful aerial views. Flew my first flight today at a public park, got many people's attention all positive asking me where I got one, how high it can fly, and it being awesome and cool. Until, a park security came over while I was bringing her down telling me I can't fly without a aviation permit due to invasion of privacy and endangering kids.

To my knowledge public parks are just that, public, and me doing most of my flying out in the lake was not endangering anyone. I politely asked him to show me a pamphlet for the park's rules and policies stating the rc quadcopter (he kept using the word drone) is not permitted and I would gladly stop and advise my fellow rc friends as well. He failed to deliver of course, and stated that it is not formal and not written, but rules are always changing. I advise him I was flying in the lakes and kids are everywhere no matter where I'm flying (there was literally 3 kids at this huge park), at least I'm not flying around congested neighborhoods and peoples' backyards so I don't see where there was an invasion of privacy. He said I can speak with his supervisor to which I replied, "Yes please, I would love to learn about the rules so as to not overstep my boundaries", but he failed to give me that number as well. He asked if he could take a photo of it with the remote and asked for my number, which I was more than pleased to do and again I added, "I'm here to help and this is recreational, so definitely show me the park's guidelines and restrictions so I know to educate myself and my fellow rc friends." He said it's no issue, no problem..and just walked away.

Sorry for the long first post, I just wanted to defend our grounds and rights as recreational flyers that are abiding by the law and I'm well aware to not fly in no-fly zones (airports or governmental buildings) and national parks, but seeing that no one there had a problem except this park security really picked at my skin. What do you guys think? Did I do the right thing?

Not wanting to denigrate anyone's job, but a lot of these "security" officers are in the only job they qualify for. There's little training, but they feel somehow they have to "protect". Nice handling. Instead of challenging his authority, you just asked to see the rules he was hired to enforce -- actually respecting his authority. Pretty good.

Ah yes a litigious society, too many laws that are misconstrued, too many enforcement people trying to interpret them. There are already laws on the books such as disturbing the peace, rules and regs at parks etc, peeping toms blah blah,blah.
I talked to a friend in Canada and he's not aware of these kinds of worries, but Canadians are not prone to take everyone and their grandmother to court.
We all need to relax, be respectful until this fad where's off. Then people will get tired of only flying these things over their house, and eBay will have many for sale.

Just edited my link. Going over the previous one it did pertain more to large drones. What we need is more info for the area we fly in. CA AZ etc. laws and attitudes are different than those in the Northeast. Not praising my region and knocking the others. We have a lot of stuffed shirts in the northeast. LOL

Ah yes a litigious society, too many laws that are misconstrued, too many enforcement people trying to interpret them. There are already laws on the books such as disturbing the peace, rules and regs at parks etc, peeping toms blah blah,blah.
I talked to a friend in Canada and he's not aware of these kinds of worries, but Canadians are not prone to take everyone and their grandmother to court.
We all need to relax, be respectful until this fad where's off. Then people will get tired of only flying these things over their house, and eBay will have many for sale.
Yes, I think respect for others is the key. I am retired and on the road, and ocassionally will hook up my fc40 or hero camera to a flyover of an rv park, beach, or beautiful scenery for my own viewing enjoyment, or to post a review of a facility or area so others can see what its all about.

Most of the regulations I see are related to aerial filming. What about those of us who enjoy flying a quad just for the pleasure of flying without an attached camera?
In the UK it seems the laws which exist for each of these classes will eventually be merged into one. No real distinction is made for commercial quads.

Hey OP I wonder if the little Hitler would have left you alone if you were wearing a HiViz vest?
Here in NZ a hiVIZ vest pretty much makes whatever your doing legitimate!
Smartguard_Hi_Vis_Vest-600x600.jpg

Reactions: AerialPhantom
Those who have a level of paranoia need to be politely informed they have much more to fear by what they don't see than by what they do see. A visible quadcopter is much less a threat to their well-being than the myriad of eaves-dropping tools the authorities can utilize -- let alone those whose intent may be to observe them for whatever reason they believe they are such an interesting subject.

Totally agree with Farmer. Just wear a Fluoro jacket and you can do anything... lol

This park you were flying in, or for that matter, any park that was a fly zone, what say there was a free concert, ie non paying entry, could you have flown over that with a Go Pro, recorded and filmed the part of the gig. Hows the ruling there?

Farmer - haha I was actually thinking about wearing one of those, I would seriously get away with so much just because of that vest!
Mooky - I believe regardless if you're flying from the outside in or lifting off from the inside of the park, the same rules still apply. Your heli would still be inside the park and the park rules would apply. However, I would say trying to find you if you're flying somewhere from outside the park is not as easy and by the time they do pinpoint your location you're already gone. I would worry about fly aways.

Maybe a tie clip is important when leaning down over the spinning rotors.

I got my tie caught in a paper shredder once. Being pulled in close to spinning blades was a bit unsettling.

I was stopped twice by LE one day while filming around town for a video I wanted to make about where I live.

First time was by a animal control officer when I took off from their parking lot to film a water tower with the town name on it. She asked what I was doing and that I couldn't fly on city land. So I simply landed and left.

Second time was by a police officer and a detective in a park across from my home. I was flying in a park and to the school across the street (200 ft up). They approached me from different directions and told me to land so they could talk to me. The detective informed me it was a misdemeanor to harass children. I politely informed him of my plans to make a video about the city, and asked what I could do to make it right. The officer took down my info. Both where very polite - as was I.

I think if we are courteous, thoughtful, and apply a little common sense we can fly and not get into trouble or make people feel uncomfortable about UAV's. Just like firearms, it will just take a couple of incidents to ruin the freedom to fly for everyone.

I wish I was as tolerant as you - why did the detective open with such an aggressive line? He's just an idiot with a badge, people like that only get respect because you cannot afford to argue with them.

.....The detective informed me it was a misdemeanor to harass children......

Reactions: LuvMyTJ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik