Flame Throwing Drone!

Reactions: Dounin Front
".......... The idea is to use the balls to set and monitor controlled burns in order to get rid of invasive species and combat wildfires......"

A great idea!! We're still in the infancy of the growth of the commercial applications these drones can be used for!

ETA: we fight invasive species down here at the wildlife refuge with shovels and hoes. Well, controlled burns too, but still lots of work with that hoe and shovel!

Reactions: Dounin Front
I have to say I think this is a VERY positive article and the potential for getting POSITIVE press exposure (don't think the media won't try to spin this into a negative as they will TRY if allowed). The second part of the second sentence should be emphasized

"Now, thanks to a research team from Nebraska, there is a drone that shoots fire balls. But don’t freak out—it’s for a good cause."

I would love to have had something like this on some of our "Controlled Burns" over the last couple of years. It still won't remove the manual aspect but it really ups the COOL factor for a prescribed burn.

Reactions: Jogle
Hey, you're all right. I hadn't fully read the article as I only had a moment to glance it over. My apologies. I'll amend the title if possible. I was thrown off mainly by the title of the article.

Anyway, still that's the perception for a lot of people of drones. 'What if they get in the hands of the wrong people?' We should be conscious of that perception at all times. A drone that drops balls of fire, even if for a good cause, is going to be seen by some as yet another way drones can be dangerous and should be strictly regulated away from the hands of hobbyists.

It's amazing how quickly students doing research for a good cause gets turned into 'FLAME THROWING DEVICE THAT FLIES', even if it is just a click bait kind of title for an online article.

PS - I can modify the title for you if you wish.
Please do to something more appropriate

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl