Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

Are you talking about solely in GPS Mode in that example or in ATTI mode? This further convinces me my P2 is defective. My footage in wind is unusable.

ianwood said:
The Phantom does very well dealing with the wind generally. Once the Phantom spends several minutes learning to fly straight, I can put it into a 30mph crosswind and it will track perfectly straight. Wind may influence the issue but it is not dependent on the wind. It happens in zero wind just as much.

I've pinged Tahoe Ed. Waiting to hear back.

adanac said:
Are you talking about solely in GPS Mode in that example or in ATTI mode? This further convinces me my P2 is defective. My footage in wind is unusable.

ianwood said:
The Phantom does very well dealing with the wind generally. Once the Phantom spends several minutes learning to fly straight, I can put it into a 30mph crosswind and it will track perfectly straight. Wind may influence the issue but it is not dependent on the wind. It happens in zero wind just as much.

There's no issue in ATTI as neither the GPS or the compass are being used in ATTI. The issue comes about as result of a disagreement between the compass and the GPS as to which way is forward. The discrepancy comes about as result of the magnetic declination in the region you are flying in. Where are you, BTW?

I wouldn't go as far as to say defective. Compromised might be a better way to put it. Either way, we are going to get it fixed! I am sure DJI is already on the case. We just need to get some reassurance from them that they know about it and are trying to fix it.

I fly in NY, NJ and MA so far. I haven't tested per your video but I'll try when I get a chance.

ianwood said:
adanac said:

ianwood said:

There's no issue in ATTI as neither the GPS or the compass are being used in ATTI. The issue comes about as result of a disagreement between the compass and the GPS as to which way is forward. The discrepancy comes about as result of the magnetic declination in the region you are flying in. Where are you, BTW?

I wouldn't go as far as to say defective. Compromised might be a better way to put it. Either way, we are going to get it fixed! I am sure DJI is already on the case. We just need to get some reassurance from them that they know about it and are trying to fix it.

Hello all. My P2 drifts to the left while hovering on takeoff, but straightens up after 1 or 2 mins of hover. It seems to drift left as well while flying even after a few mins. I'm I South Carolina. Not sure if this is related but it feels wrong.
Bill

Put me down and count me as 2. I've tried two different, brand new P2s and they both exhibit exactly the same problem. I'm in Southern California. The issue exhibits itself in crowded suburban areas as well as isolated desert and mountain locations (just in case anyone at DJI tries to say its from local interference).

Thanks for taking the lead on this.

hey all, Flying my P2 in New York (-13 declination) and i will report back with flight behavior testing today (weather permitting).
Did DJI at least acknowledge the problem. I wounder if NAZA could learn to fly with the Declination faster as many here have stated.

Hi my first post here. I've only flown my phantom2 3 times.
I'm think my p2 has this compass problem also but I'm not sure what's accepted as normal or not.

When my phantom flys up from the ground it starts to turn away from the the direction it was launched. It doesn't hover in place sometime and will move off course.

It will flight in straight lines consistantly but when I stop thats when it will slightly rotate it's course sometimes.

I'm flying in Southern California. Orange County

Finally had the time yesterday with the weather cooperating to run a test.

Flying in NJ. -12 declination and experiencing the drift when trying to fly straight. I got GPS lock and calibrated. Took off, hovered for a few seconds at about 8 ft. It hovered well, compensating for the light wind, holding position. Flew forward about 50 ft and with the last 20 ft, it drifted to the right and stopped at about 15-20 ft off of straight path it should've followed. I pulled it back and it did the same thing on the way back except it drifted in the opposite direction.

Does that qualify as having the problem? If so, add another to the list.

poostik said:

Drifting to the right is consistent with where you are. So yes, technically you have the problem. But, answer me this question: Does that drifting undermine your confidence in being able to control where your Phantom goes?

You can still fly your Phantom between the trees or down a scenic street but it's a stressful experience of constantly adjusting the trajectory because the Phantom just won't fly straight. It eventually gets better half way through the flight but the adjustments compromise most of your footage (if you care about such things).

If your answer is yes, you are number 60 on the list.

Flying in New YorK. -13 declination and experiencing the drift when trying to fly straight. I got GPS lock and calibrated. Took off, hovered fine.Flew forward about 50 ft and with the last 20 ft, it drifted to the right and stopped at about 15-20 ft off of straight path it should have followed. I pulled it back and it did the same thing on the way back except it drifted to the left.

Naza Seemed to correct this behavior after awhile. Naza in my test "learned" GPS mode with 70%-60% battery remaining.
I think that Naza should be able to "know" not "learn" around this error/correction GPS -bug

please add me to list. This Error results in a direct lack of confidence in DJI and their Flight Control system

Side note : called DJI and asked if they heard of similar reported behavior and they said no. They also recommended degaussing the compass with a magnet. I tried this method and still behaved in description above.

I bought a Phantom 2 from Helipal about 6 weeks ago. I live in Christchurch, NZ. Out of the box it exhibited the TBE which caught me off guard because I have two Droidworx Wookongs and a Naza F550 and this same problem was fixed with the version 2 compass which DJI supplied. I did a lot of flying around my home area in ChCh and notice that the TBE was sometimes there, sometimes not. About a month ago I took the Phantom to West Bengal in India. Same machine, same settings, different location. It performed perfectly with no TBE or hooking problems. I flew many times in West Bengal getting some really amazing aerials, and never had a problem or crashed.
In 2011 I built a Droidworx XM4 for a friend in India. I installed a Wookong flight controller. While testing it in ChCh I had major TBE issues and, while trying to do a return to home, it took off, narrowly missing a major crash with a tree. It flew between two branches at the top of the tree, catching a small branch which ripped off one of the landing gear bottom rails. It was a heart stopping experience as I thought I'd just lost an $8,000 machine. Once I regained control and landed, I packed it up and didn't fly again till I got to India. There, it flew perfectly with no TBE or GPS issues at all.
I join the call for DJI to address this issue.
How many Phantom users have lost their machines or crashed due to this technical fault?

ianwood said:
poostik said:

Drifting to the right is consistent with where you are. So yes, technically you have the problem. But, answer me this question: Does that drifting undermine your confidence in being able to control where your Phantom goes?

You can still fly your Phantom between the trees or down a scenic street but it's a stressful experience of constantly adjusting the trajectory because the Phantom just won't fly straight. It eventually gets better half way through the flight but the adjustments compromise most of your footage (if you care about such things).

If your answer is yes, you are number 60 on the list.

I'm #60 then.

I'm trying to gain more confidence in flying fpv in more tight situations but can't trust it because I can feel it going in directions I'm not flying. I find myself correcting most of the time. I understand that flying fpv, using the gopro as my 'eyes' is sketchy due to the wide angle but I'd like the gps mode to be dialed in so I can only blame myself for the inevitable crash.

So, yeah. Jot me down. Great work you're doing here.

Northern UK.

Drifts to the left no matter what I do. Annoying!

ianwood said:
adanac said:

ianwood said:

Your earlier suggestion, that rotating the compass (-2 x declination) might not be curing the problem entirely because the error may be in some, but not all of the Naza programming that uses declination correction, is a compelling hypothesis. If that is the case, however, then it should afflict all units with the affected software version(s) operated in regions of significant declination, but the number of reports, of what looks like a serious and hard to miss problem, still seems to be rather low, which tends to suggest a hardware issue. Very puzzling.

I live and fly in Southern California. I had not noticed the drift before since I usually am flying pretty fast. I went to the park on a very calm morning. I saw a 6ft diameter TBE immediately after launch. I let the bird hover for one minute and the TBE stopped. I flew about 100 yards away and hovered, the TBE returned but went away after about 45 seconds. I returned to the original hover position and this time no TBE. I was about 7 minutes into the battery at this point. I did not detect any drift during straight line flight. I will make a video flying down the street and see if I can detect the drift. I powered down the phantom and then restarted on the same battery. I got the same results as the initial flight. I conclude that powering off resets any correction made and the compass malfunction returns.

Seattle WA

Same problems with drift, also Failsafe is triggered more often now. Anyone experiencing unexpected Failsafe episodes even in close range?

Count me in!

Two week newbie here and it's been windy in Southwestern Ohio so I was writing it off on that. Tonight there was no wind and I experienced all these behaviors, the TBE, the "J" effect. It got steady after a while but the TBE also came back at times. I have all the latest firmware updates and everything has been calibrated.

And now we wait for a fix. :-\

Thanks for bringing this to the forefront, it didn't seem right that I was having to make so many corrections all the time!

Image of my IMU calibration page...

http://imgur.com/nUfUHBL

I live in Bertie County, NC area code 27924 and have found the same problem, mainly in IOC mode. Being a sort-of noob, I thought it was my lack of understanding of IOC. Now reading this, I see that there was a problem. If it ever stops raining I'll try again and report back.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4