Fixable Phantom 3 Pro?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. Excited to start participating in the community. So about 2 months ago, I bought my first quadcopter/drone, the Phantom 3 Pro and I've loved it. Already logged 121 flights! :)

Sadly, a few days ago, I had a flyaway. The DJI Go app force quit, the controller lost connection, and the drone didn't return home. It decided to descend altitude and fly in a circle until it crashed into a tree. Exterior damage isn't too bad. DJI was really interested to know why it crashed and requested I send it in; however, when told them I had modded the controller with DBS Mods they said they wouldn't service it under warranty (understandable). So I started to repair stuff myself. Physical damage looked pretty minor, but it was a little more extensive than I initially suspected.

One of the gimbal arms was bent, but I ordered the 3D printed replacement kit on eBay and it's back working 100%. Everything else seems to be in working order, the drone connects to the RC and app. I get full gimbal control, VPS is working, but no battery percentage is displayed and even though the app says everything is fully functional, I can't fly it. Why? Because this:

[file]Side view flight controller|none[/file]
[file]Flight controller top p3|none[/file]
[file]P3 flight controller|none[/file]

To my understanding, this is the flight controller, gyroscope, and on the underside, the IMU—in other words—pretty much everything expensive on the board. LOL. It seems kind of poorly designed to sit directly against the GPS module on the upper shell because it takes direct shock upon a crash (and it is only held to the main board with solder, but w/e, I won't criticize the design because I'm sure they know better). From what I can tell, everything is still in tact, the main solder points broke and pushed the secondary board through the main board.

Has anyone experienced a similar incident? Am I crazy to think that I can just have it re-welded to the main board? Anything I need to be particularly cautious about? Trying to avoid having to replace the MCU if possible. Thanks for your help! Glad to be a part of the community.

I'll work on uploading footage too. The crash is seriously bizarre. Haha.

Well Come On In, to the forum And Phantom 3 family. Sorry to hear about your crash. That's a painful experience and I hope you can repair all damage. Sounded like as if it had lost it's GPS coordinance and went into a toilet bowl effect flight with that ark or revolution.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
That is going to be a tricky solder job - if you need to get the IMU to sit flush on the board, but you cannot push it down in its state without damaging the solder contacts that are still there. Your best bet would be to de-solder everything and resolder or if you hot air rework station heat the solder points and slowly move it around.

That is going to be a tricky solder job - if you need to get the IMU to sit flush on the board, but you cannot push it down in its state without damaging the solder contacts that are still there. Your best bet would be to de-solder everything and resolder or if you hot air rework station heat the solder points and slowly move it around.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will take it to someone in town who is good (I'm an amateur at soldering). You suggest desoldering all the contacts and then redoing them?

Thanks for your suggestion. I will take it to someone in town who is good (I'm an amateur at soldering). You suggest desoldering all the contacts and then redoing them?
If you don't have a rework station and only a soldering iron, that may be one of the paths that will result in the least headaches/further damage to the IMU. Otherwise if you heat all the pads up, it will slide into position.

Yes.. I would suggest vac off existing solder and re-do... not just add to existing. Most electronics shops can do that for you and they can help you assess the damage... probably would be happy to see inside your drone anyway :)

Yes.. I would suggest vac off existing solder and re-do... not just add to existing. Most electronics shops can do that for you and they can help you assess the damage... probably would be happy to see inside your drone anyway :)
Thanks for the suggestion! Going to go to a shop tomorrow. Will update with the results. :)

Can you make a follow up post? I have the exact same issue. My colleague is soldering the IMU. But I am curious if I need to be aware of anything else?

Interested in whether the fix worked or not too. I'm surprised such a thing wouldn't either pull the pin out of the IMU or pull a trace off the PCB so I'm not sure it would be a simple resolder job.

Mike

Interested in whether the fix worked or not too. I'm surprised such a thing wouldn't either pull the pin out of the IMU or pull a trace off the PCB so I'm not sure it would be a simple resolder job.

Mike
Maybe that's the bad new I will hear from the tech at my office who is supposed to solder mine on. He told me today he wants to "show me something". :-(
It looked fairly straight forward to me.

Can you make a follow up post? I have the exact same issue. My colleague is soldering the IMU. But I am curious if I need to be aware of anything else?
If you read thru some of the OP's other posts, it appears that he never got it working correctly and then bought a P4.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My insanely talented colleague fixed mine. Resoldered and it is now flying again.
416dff4e7e14f3e549007b61983f4496.jpg
bb7a686f91ee9e9383d7ccf7a7860980.jpg
309841059e2b61cd3496a6e516738fd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

For $268 you can buy a brand new ESC replacement board. Don't know if that's an option or not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4