Fix or Replace Engine

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie. Just got my Phantom today and love it.
I set her down a bit too hard and one of the props dug into the ground. Now one of the motor smells burnt and the prop still spins but barely; not enough for lift off.

Do I need to replace the motor? Or maybe just the bearings? Or maybe just put some oil on it?

Disappointed I hurt it after only about 10 minutes of flight.

Thanks for the help!

Claydoh

replacing the motor is probably your best bet.

But once you've got the old motor out, perhaps try to take it apart and clean it, ..it might be useable as a backup.

Keep in mind if you've got a Phantom 1.2 (I just got one last week and it's a Phantom 1.2) that they've changed the motors and prop screws / nuts, so that two have right-handed threads, and the other two have left handed threads. The older phantoms just used to have 4 right-handed thread motors / screws. I haven't seen any left-handed screws or motors on-line yet.

So check which ones you need - I've been going all over the place looking for left-handed nuts for the stock one I lost when the prop came off (the black screw ones are left-handed threads, the grey ones are right-handed).

berkut said:
Keep in mind if you've got a Phantom 1.2 (I just got one last week and it's a Phantom 1.2) that they've changed the motors and prop screws / nuts, so that two have right-handed threads, and the other two have left handed threads. The older phantoms just used to have 4 right-handed thread motors / screws. I haven't seen any left-handed screws or motors on-line yet.

So check which ones you need - I've been going all over the place looking for left-handed nuts for the stock one I lost when the prop came off (the black screw ones are left-handed threads, the grey ones are right-handed).

ah wow,. I think I heard about that.

..but find it a bit ironic that you lost a prop nut considering they changed it to prevent such things from happening in the first place! :eek:

It could be the esc too? Remove the shell and you may be able to spot the burn mark on the board, if this is the case.
If it happens to be the motor, when you replace it try to cut the wires from the esc board (leaving an inch from the board intact) in stead of removing the whole wires from the board by desoldering the spots. Many had ruined the contact spots on the board by trying to remove the whole wires!

tanasit said:
It could be the esc too? Remove the shell and you may be able to spot the burn mark on the board, if this is the case.
If it happens to be the motor, when you replace it try to cut the wires from the esc board (leaving an inch from the board intact) in stead of removing the whole wires from the board by desoldering the spots. Many had ruined the contact spots on the board by trying to remove the whole wires!

Be careful with those ESCs. If the motor slows down too much, due to debris restrictions or whatever, the current draw in the ESC becomes excessive. I had one do that and the ESC not only smoked, it caught fire and burned with flames about 6 inches high. Luckily I had the top off and no props as I was testing it. If the case had been covered I would be replacing it as well. Turns out I had used the wrong size screw on the bottom of the motor and it kept it from turning. The damage was almost instantaneous. The burning smell is probably the ESC. Those motors are extremely robust and it would take some serious current to burn one up, which would have to pass through the ESC.

Be careful with those ESCs. If the motor slows down too much, due to debris restrictions or whatever, the current draw in the ESC becomes excessive. I had one do that and the ESC not only smoked, it caught fire and burned with flames about 6 inches high.

I had a ESC catch fire also. When I replaced my motors, I thought it would be nice for the wires to lay across the ESC,
instead of coming straight up. I didn't want them to get pinched, where the screw goes through the arm.

The wires were laying across the FETs, and when I plugged in the battery, and started the motors to check rotation, the FETs caught fire. Luckily, ESC's are inexpensive. :)

E xcuse me. I am new. M y DJI. crashed today. One motor smell burn and the drone do not turn on.
What means. ESC?

Thanks,

Jackye

jackye said:
E xcuse me. I am new. M y DJI. crashed today. One motor smell burn and the drone do not turn on.
What means. ESC?

Thanks,

Jackye
ESC is Electronic Speed Control. There is one per motor, it controls the speed (rpm) of the motor. The ESC's are controlled (managed) from the Naza flight controller.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.