Fix for shaky video?

OK...so I got inspired to be creative and found a cheap, easy and apparently very accurate way of balancing the DJI self-tightening props for NO money.

I took three laboratory glass rods that I had lying around, and set two of them parallel to each other on my level drill press deck a couple of inches back from the edge. I then used electrical tape to build up the end of the third glass rod so that it was a press-fit into the prop(s) to be balanced. I then set the glass rod/prop "lollipop" perpendicularly across the two parallel glass rods for a nearly frictionless "roll". In two out of four instances, the stock props needed NO sanding or adjustment. Two definitely benefited from a light sanding. WOOHOO!!

I hope to shoot a video with the GoPro tomorrow morning in relatively still air (it's blowing ~ 13 mph today). to see if that made a difference. Can't tell just by flying, which I did do after the balancing despite the wind. Of course, the motors themselves have not been balanced, but that has to be for another day.

If the description of what I did is confusing, or someone just wants a pix, I can post one.

PF

Studiowise said:
ToddSmi said:
PhantomFan said:
My videos with the stock props suffered HORRIBLY from jello. Here is a video shot with balanced CF props. You be the judge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_T80U-n ... e=youtu.be

PF

Have you seen this video yet showing a Dubro balancer being used for the Vision stock props? I'm thinking of ordering the Dubro unit and giving it a try. Looks like just need to find the right diameter of fuel line to use to make sure the prop is perfectly secure and not susceptible to movement. What do you think...does it seem to you like this could be a good solution?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... VdVa0jWowI

ive ordered the Dubro (and fuel line) for the props and im going to look at maybe also using it to balance the motors as well

http://youtu.be/UYqtwd4xXYo

Got my Dubro today and found that 3/32 (inside diameter) x 3/16 (outside diameter) fuel line is a good fit for the tip area of the prop. But the prop entrance area is wider and so there seems to be way too much axial movement to get consistent results. The guy on youtube didn't mention this as being a problem but in my opinion it does seem to be an issue. Problem is, I've not found a good solution yet. I'm thinking I could add a 3/32 x approximately 11/32 fuel line or hose if I could find it, to add to the Dubro rod, but so far I haven't been able to locate that size. If anyone else comes up with a solution, I would love to hear the details!

Also, thanks for the video of the motor balancing. I'll have to look into that as well. I've heard some people say that if you get the props balanced, that 90% effective and not to worry about the motors, but that may just be hearsay. Anyone else have an opinion on that?

PhantomFan said:
OK...so I got inspired to be creative and found a cheap, easy and apparently very accurate way of balancing the DJI self-tightening props for NO money.

I took three laboratory glass rods that I had lying around, and set two of them parallel to each other on my level drill press deck a couple of inches back from the edge. I then used electrical tape to build up the end of the third glass rod so that it was a press-fit into the prop(s) to be balanced. I then set the glass rod/prop "lollipop" perpendicularly across the two parallel glass rods for a nearly frictionless "roll". In two out of four instances, the stock props needed NO sanding or adjustment. Two definitely benefited from a light sanding. WOOHOO!!

I hope to shoot a video with the GoPro tomorrow morning in relatively still air (it's blowing ~ 13 mph today). to see if that made a difference. Can't tell just by flying, which I did do after the balancing despite the wind. Of course, the motors themselves have not been balanced, but that has to be for another day.

If the description of what I did is confusing, or someone just wants a pix, I can post one.

PF

I wasn't able to fully envision what you did...a picture of the setup would be great! And also let us know if you think it improved your stability once you have a chance to test. As you may have seen from my other post, I'm trying to find a solution with the Dubro balancer I have, but I'm having trouble finding the diameter of tubing for the makeshift solution to work.

I already had a Du-Bro balancer, but I could not find any suitable hose with both
ID and OD that seemed to suit.

I noticed the internal of the Vision prop had an area before the threads, it
measured up at 7.94mm or something close, so I tried some decent quality
8mm carbon fibre tube I had (equal wall thickness throughout) and sanded
it down slowly with some wet and dry until it was a perfect fit.

Not sure if the larger diameter of the rod is an issue with balancing, but it
spun up very well, and all the props with the exemption of one were quite
well balanced from the factory.

A few pics

I was JUST going to order a Du-Bro when I noticed that there were 55 reviews on Amazon. Some of them showed quite a bit of irritation with the quality of the product, primarily crappy threads. Being a product designed, built and sold as an aid to precision flying, it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy knowing that the manufacture of the item appears to be far from precise...

You guys that own one... Care to weigh in? I'm on the fence here...

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
I was JUST going to order a Du-Bro when I noticed that there were 55 reviews on Amazon. Some of them showed quite a bit of irritation with the quality of the product, primarily crappy threads. Being a product designed, built and sold as an aid to precision flying, it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy knowing that the manufacture of the item appears to be far from precise...

You guys that own one... Care to weigh in? I'm on the fence here...

Thanks...
-slinger

I had one thread that was a little too tight for the nut, but I just manhandled it a bit, and all was fine. For the price, I think this product is hard to beat given its versatility.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav