Five things I learned from crashing and losing my Phantom 2

Reaction score
I had 5 days to think about the things that went wrong and things I did wrong as I was searching for it in the woods.

In the video, you can see my crash and I hope the reason is obvious when you see it. It's kinda embarrassing.

I was using Black Pearl monitor and it was a nice sunny day.

What's interesting is that my OSD was saying that the quad is 33 feet up after the crash, but I'm pretty sure it fell to the ground. (and there is no big difference in elevation in this area.)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB4SM1ZCtFU[/youtube]

1. Know your EXACT home point.
2. Know your OSD and exactly what Azimuth, declination, distance, mean.
3. Monitor DVR
4. Tracker
5. Spotter

Re: Five things I learned from crashing and losing my Phanto

Sorry for your loss...but the lessons you're bringing forward are good. Given the 33 ft elevation, I bet it's up in a tree. They can be hard to spot looking up into a dark tree against the sky.....Good luck! ;)

EDIT: Watched the rest of the video and see that you found it. Good news!

Yup, and the strange thing is that while Azimuth angle was very close, it was not 33 feet up. It looks like it fell from the tree immediately after the crash. But I spent 90% of my time looking up the trees and 33 feet up is very high...

Glad you found it, but watching your video made me feel rather sea-sick :). It would be a lot easier to watch if you held the camera still!

HarryT said:
Glad you found it, but watching your video made me feel rather sea-sick :). It would be a lot easier to watch if you held the camera still!

I am experimenting with the new Sony AS100VR and the optical stabilization is pretty good on it. Unfortunately, I had it off for this video. :oops:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers