Fitting the Flytrex Core

Reaction score
Guys.. just thought I would share this. If you are thinking of fitting the Flytrex Core to your PV there is no need to hole the PV body, if you are careful using a very small screw driver or anything that is small enough to push the little tabs down on the supplied PV Y lead connector you can now use the same hole as the camera leads uses, then carefully bend up the tabs on cable ends and the plug will snap back on... makes for a neater fix I think.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 573
  • flytrex 1.jpg
    flytrex 1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 576
That was an option Amit at Flytrex and I looked at, but they understandably didn't want to recommend anything that might damage the cable and mean you had to order another one - might have smacked of profiteering!

But you are right, if you are careful and prepared to take the risk of damage it's a neater solution. As is the other option we looked at which was to cut the plug end off and solder the wires to get the same end result. Another option I have seen is to cut a strake out of one of the belly cooling vents to get the plug out. In the end it's whatever you are comfortable with - craft knife to make a small notch, this method, soldering, hack your vents, whatever.

If the board was slightly smaller it could have fit inside the belly, to the right of the battery bay which would have been the perfect neat job, but it wasn't to be. :)

Pull_Up said:
That was an option Amit at Flytrex and I looked at, but they understandably didn't want to recommend anything that might damage the cable and mean you had to order another one - might have smacked of profiteering!

But you are right, if you are careful and prepared to take the risk of damage it's a neater solution. As is the other option we looked at which was to cut the plug end off and solder the wires to get the same end result. Another option I have seen is to cut a strake out of one of the belly cooling vents to get the plug out. In the end it's whatever you are comfortable with - craft knife to make a small notch, this method, soldering, hack your vents, whatever.

If the board was slightly smaller it could have fit inside the belly, to the right of the battery bay which would have been the perfect neat job, but it wasn't to be. :)

I thought long and hard about popping the connector off and snaking the wire down the one leg of the landing gear that, stock, isn't being used. But... A short job with a sharp X-acto and I'm using the same method as Pull_Up. Maybe not the neatest job, but I kind of like the custom look of that cable snaking out of the body. Looks like a hot rod... And that's kind of up my alley...
:D :D :D

http://3kgt.com

-slinger

I spent way too much time reading up on Flytrex & Dashware (its 'Slinger's fault) and was worried about poking holes in my Vision. Glad you posted this. Pull_Up... how 'bout Flytrex simply issue the Phantom Cable with the connector shell unattached? This way the end user can fish the leads thru the camera lead grommet, or go ahead and attach the shell and do it his own way.

iDrone

iDrone said:
I spent way too much time reading up on Flytrex & Dashware (its 'Slinger's fault) and was worried about poking holes in my Vision. Glad you posted this. Pull_Up... how 'bout Flytrex simply issue the Phantom Cable with the connector shell unattached? This way the end user can fish the leads thru the camera lead grommet, or go ahead and attach the shell and do it his own way.

iDrone

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, it's Pull_Up's fault. He got ME hooked... :D

<---- passing the buck

-slinger

iDrone said:
iDrone

Worth asking Flytrex. I don't work for them, just wanted a Flytrex and they didn't know if it would work with a Vision as they couldn't get hold of one. I must have sounded desperate so they asked if they got one to me would I test one to see. It did, so then it was how to get it fitted and the notch cut was the "least worst" option to recommend as the "official" method.

There might be scope for them to stock a Phantom v2 version of the cable without the pins inserted - I suspect it depends on demand and how much their supplier wants to charge for changing the production line for a percentage of units! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20