Fitting propellers - the nuts - two black, two silver?

Reaction score
Hi all,

After dismantling and putting back together my Phantom, I figured out it's super important to understand which nuts go where, as props spin in two opposite directions. I looked at pics on the net, but many show all nuts in silver coloring - on my phantom two are black, two are silver. Do the black ones go where the motors have a black dot on the top?

The only way it could possibly make any difference, was if the threads on the motors were reversed. left/right.

I think they did it just because so many newbies put the props on wrong, and it won't lift off. They are probably overwhelmed
by people who don't pay attention, or read instructions prior to trying it out.

The threads on the motors ARE REVERSED

So now if you replace a motor, or even a prop nut, it has to match, CCW, or CW.

I wish they would put as much effort into their firmware, and software bugs.

I saw the black, and silver prop nuts in one of their instructional videos, and it looks dumb, like they couldn't find 4 that matched.

I would think it's better than using screws in the same direciton and one falling off mid-flight:)

What software/firmware bugs?

They've started selling phantoms with reverse threaded motors? Since when? Mine are all normal. That means you'll be stuck using their crap metal ones on the reverse threaded posts.

Their nuts are too soft for me and lack the nylon locking insert that regular non slip nuts have.

You see, this is DJI acknowledging one of the issues. Releasing a fix for new customers, and treating the rest of us like crap.

They don't even tell us, or offer us the option of upgrading our units.

I guess I am going to start to look at an alternative to DJI.

What are the alternatives - and I know about the Blade product, but what are the true alternatives.

Darren

I don't think this is the right way to look at it.

I would like to point our attention for a sec at another product that is doing just the opposite, that being the Ar.Drone guys from Parrot. The do NOT acknowledge any of the many faults of the unit; they've released ONE unite and BOOM that's it - forever, no matter what consumer reports come in, nothing. I hardly stand against that - shooting off a product and leaving it all to the consumers to make constant mods, trying to fix the flaws.

And there always will be flaws. Let me tell you. I am a quality assurance professional and can ensure you that in every product, forever, there will be flaws.

So what is DJI to do? Apparently they put a LOT of thought into the Phantom initially, it's far from a stupid product that does not operate, but yes, there were flaws. And there were consumer reports on them - so they had to choices - to a) not care, or to b) fix the upcoming products and keep upgrading not their software/firmware, but also the hardware. Let's also assume they don't have the money and productivity for so to offer for free the fixes for all consumers, including shipping and handling.

So, knowing that, as a relatively small company, once again, they were left with two possibilities - to hide that there is a flaw and keep producing more flawed units; or to acknowledge it and make an improvement based on consumer reviews and reports.

I stand for the latter. That's just my opinion, they are rather GREAT for doing this. And not because I am lucky here; we will all crash one day AND another... but I like the policy of DJI to the max.

IceFireSoul; I don't think "QA professional" has the same level of commitment, the whole world over. DJI is in China, where
QA professionals are "corrupt", and allow things like Melmac plastic filler in baby food.
To them, QA professionals, are probably snobby bosses, who smell like cigarettes, and dock their pay.

They do "NOT" acknowledge problems. They simply come out with a change, like a spring loaded center acting throttle lever,
then implement a software/ firmware change. Afterwards, persons who do not have a spring loaded throttle, have their
Phantom fall out of the sky, when they move the throttle below 50 percent. Again no acknowledgement, just a firmware change
shows up on their site. That firmware change effects other operations, which prompts more changes. etc, etc.

Motors have been available with CW / CCW threads a lot longer than the Phantom has been around. Those prop nuts are near impossible to find by themselves, let alone with reverse threads, or certain color scheme.
Why couldn't they have just used some of that plastic they are putting in food supplies, and make locking nuts.

Before, you asked "crap, what crap, the motors, or the prop nuts" Take your pick.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj