First Video flight rookie mistake

Reaction score
It's been way below zero in Minneapolis for a few weeks, so what's someone with a new Phantom going to do? Fly inside of course. All went well the first three short flights, then I turned on the video and captured the following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqaUm81cnlw

no damage done, just a little green on my props. Poor Plant :lol:

PhantomDave said:
It's been way below zero in Minneapolis for a few weeks, so what's someone with a new Phantom going to do? Fly inside of course. All went well the first three short flights, then I turned on the video and captured the following.

I was going to try that but I can't get any satellites while in my house. Been cold and just plain crappy weather here so I'm sort of chomping at the bit to get outside again.

I was able to get 8 locks, so I took her up and back down and back up again....... :D I can get satellite locks consistently in my house. I don't think I've had less than six time. However, after that flight I think I'll stick to the outside

PhantomDave said:
I was able to get 8 locks, so I took her up and back down and back up again....... :D I can get satellite locks consistently in my house. I don't think I've had less than six time. However, after that flight I think I'll stick to the outside

I get 8 outside but none inside although I have a metal roof so that might be some of the problem too.

You don't need satellite to fly indoors. It will use non-GPS attitude mode and will use its baro for height hold and the gyros to keep it sitting straight and level sticks off. You will though need to watch out for it drifting around due to it's own wash. It's not an indoor flyer, though, and my house is way too small to even try it (I've got my Hubsan X4 for that). However I know some of you in the former colonies have rather palatial dwellings so if you feel you have the room... ;)

PhantomDave said:

Hey Dave - That put a smile on my face!

I'm in a similar boat... new phantom, itching to get the thing flying, and it's been too cold or rainy when I've had time to get out... but to my credit, I've been able to resist the urge to fly the Phantom inside. ( I have run up the motors a few times, but only had one accidental airborne hop). I also picked up a Hubsan X4 to practice inside with. It's a blast to fly around the house. If you decide to get your own hubsan, get some extra props and motors, and you'll probably want to get more batteries too. I just replaced my first motor failure yesterday, and have gone through several sets of props since Christmas. Still waiting on the additional batteries...

Happy flying!

D.T.

PhantomDave said:

PhantomDave! That one made me chuckle to myself and smile.... I think it was the excellent music mix choice and little green fragments fluttering down everywhere.

Thanks for taking time to put that together, we all know that posting video is not a one click experience.

:)

PhantomDave said:

lol!

Your girl and the dogs seem to be ready for what's coming though :mrgreen:

As a fellow Minnesotan - I can relate to the indoor urge - (I have flown it inside ballroom at Mpls Hilton) I still fly outside above 0 degrees.
On a sidenote - you can start an indoor landscape co...

I'm consistently chewing leaves off one of my wife's hanging plants with my Hubsan. I've taken to turning the damaged portion to the wall when I'm done flying... and then turn it back out when I fire up the Hubsan again... :eek:

I actually snagged her hair with it last week. I landed it on the top of her computer chair and it slid down onto her back. I was laughing when I went to pick it up, my finger hit the throttle and... It was extremely difficult to untangle her hair with all that cussing and slapping going on...

-slinger

Thanks for the comments. My girlfriend is still laughing at me. I will teach her when my indoor landscaping co, takes off :lol:

Pull_Up said:
You don't need satellite to fly indoors. It will use non-GPS attitude mode and will use its baro for height hold and the gyros to keep it sitting straight and level sticks off. You will though need to watch out for it drifting around due to it's own wash. It's not an indoor flyer, though, and my house is way too small to even try it (I've got my Hubsan X4 for that). However I know some of you in the former colonies have rather palatial dwellings so if you feel you have the room... ;)

FYI even in GPS mode it's only using GPS to hold the position not the altitude. At least that's what I get from watching the video from colin explaining and demonstrating GPS. He first pulls the phantom to the left and then the right and says the GPS hold brings it back but when he demos the altitude hold he only says it's the barometric pressure sensor and not GPS. So it's anyone guess then it it's using both when in GPS mode or if it's as Colin stated.

BenDronePilot said:
Pull_Up said:

FYI even in GPS mode it's only using GPS to hold the position not the altitude. At least that's what I get from watching the video from colin explaining and demonstrating GPS. He first pulls the phantom to the left and then the right and says the GPS hold brings it back but when he demos the altitude hold he only says it's the barometric pressure sensor and not GPS. So it's anyone guess then it it's using both when in GPS mode or if it's as Colin stated.

Kind of what I said in red above, then! :D The stated spec for accuracy on altitude hold on the Vision is +/-0.6m which is barometer (baro) territory. Standard GPS altitude accuracy is measured in +/- several metres.

gunslinger said:
I'm consistently chewing leaves off one of my wife's hanging plants with my Hubsan. I've taken to turning the damaged portion to the wall when I'm done flying... and then turn it back out when I fire up the Hubsan again... :eek:

I actually snagged her hair with it last week. I landed it on the top of her computer chair and it slid down onto her back. I was laughing when I went to pick it up, my finger hit the throttle and... It was extremely difficult to untangle her hair with all that cussing and slapping going on...

-slinger

Funniest thread I've read on this forum yet- thanks!

"Indoor Mishaps"

:lol:

I honor of this video, I have decided to name my Phantom "The Triminator" which I plan to put the the front. On the back it will say "I'll Be Back" for the "Return to Home" feature :D

PhantomDave said:

No offense, I would never judge a fellow pilot but I would be concerned about hurting someone by flying inside such a small space!

nashvillephantom said:
PhantomDave said:

No offense, I would never judge a fellow pilot but I would be concerned about hurting someone by flying inside such a small space!

First and last time. Being from Nashville you probably don't understand waiting until spring to fly. There are only a few decent days in the winter where you can go out and fly in Minnesota. So we improvise

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic