First Try at Drone Video

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a video guy who just finished my first weekend playing with a p3p. I showed up to a normal shoot to get some dirt bike footage and the client handed me a big padded backpack. Apparently the CEO bought a drone and decided to let me learn how to fly it and get some footage with it.

So....

2 hours later its finally done updating and ready to fly. Over the weekend I probably put 5 batteries through it. While they were charging we were doing shooting with normal cameras. So I had no idea what I was doing, and no experience with drones. I am posting some of the better shots here hoping to get some feedback from more experienced shooters and flyers. I had a lot of fun and can easily see the power and variety these things bring to a shoot. So I want to get better.

Couple of questions, trying to pan smoothly while moving was killing me, I figured out that I needed to roll the right stick from the starting direction to the ending direction while panning the left stick. IE start flying forward, then transition to flying right while rolling the pan to the left. Is this the easiest way to do this? Was I making it WAY to hard on myself? Also, is there any advice on getting smother into and out of my pans? I saw a goofy device on eBay that had rubber bands wrapped around the stick to sort of "slow you down", do these work? Or do I just need to practice practice practice. Last question for now, I kept getting weird shutter noise, the only thing I can think is prop shadow on the lens. Is this really what is happening?

So thanks for watching, appreciate any advice.

"please forgive the ugly footage, I haven't color corrected or edited anything yet"
"also, I know now to shoot everything in 4k, sadly I learned that halfway through the day"
"please forgive the riders, we know they aren't pro's or anything"

"
"

Hey everyone,

I am a video guy who just finished my first weekend playing with a p3p. I showed up to a normal shoot to get some dirt bike footage and the client handed me a big padded backpack. Apparently the CEO bought a drone and decided to let me learn how to fly it and get some footage with it.

So....

2 hours later its finally done updating and ready to fly. Over the weekend I probably put 5 batteries through it. While they were charging we were doing shooting with normal cameras. So I had no idea what I was doing, and no experience with drones. I am posting some of the better shots here hoping to get some feedback from more experienced shooters and flyers. I had a lot of fun and can easily see the power and variety these things bring to a shoot. So I want to get better.

Couple of questions, trying to pan smoothly while moving was killing me, I figured out that I needed to roll the right stick from the starting direction to the ending direction while panning the left stick. IE start flying forward, then transition to flying right while rolling the pan to the left. Is this the easiest way to do this? Was I making it WAY to hard on myself? Also, is there any advice on getting smother into and out of my pans? I saw a goofy device on eBay that had rubber bands wrapped around the stick to sort of "slow you down", do these work? Or do I just need to practice practice practice. Last question for now, I kept getting weird shutter noise, the only thing I can think is prop shadow on the lens. Is this really what is happening?

So thanks for watching, appreciate any advice.

"please forgive the ugly footage, I haven't color corrected or edited anything yet"
"also, I know now to shoot everything in 4k, sadly I learned that halfway through the day"
"please forgive the riders, we know they aren't pro's or anything"

"
"

You almost smashed your bosses phantom in to trees a few times. Be careful and pre-plan your shots so you don't have to make crazy maneuvers to get your desired footage.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj