First TOUGH crash and some Qs

Reaction score
Hey All again

Today i had my first crash. my friend told me to go for a hike, on a mountain nearby my area, so i thought to take a P3S with me. Went for a hike, went pretty high on this mountain, near the cliff. The wind was around 10ms which i saw on accuweather, but gusts were pretty tough. So the wind would go away for couple of minutes, so ithought i'll fly a bit. THE WORST IDEA.
It warmed up and i took off, and the moment i did, a crazy gust came up, and i couldn't control the birdie at all, it was heading away from me TOWARDS THE CLIFF! I panicked, but didnt have enough time to do the CRC, so i just pulled the throttle down, and it crashed right on the ground in some small dry grass. 1-2 meters away, and it would fall down the cliff.
I had protectors on for props, but one of them got broken, and also did one propeler. Attaching the photo here. Other props seem fine, they are just a bit dirty and greenish from the crash.

So this is the story of my first major crash.

I have a question regarding props. Should i change ALL of them, or change only the one that is broken?
I also ordered the gimbal protector, that is mounted on the landing gear, does that do any good?

Tomorrow there is no wind announced, and if its really no wind, we are planning to hike there again, so should i retry flying there? :( #paranoidquestion

Attachments

• 12366815_10208372429291902_1494324238_n.jpg
    12366815_10208372429291902_1494324238_n.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 429
Just replace damaged props.
Accuweather can only give you a very generalised forecast or observations that can't account for exactly the conditions you find yourself exposed to.
You have to be your own weather man in deciding to fly/not fly.
btw .. prop guards are like sails and catch the wind making your Phantom less able to handle windy conditions.

Reactions: Jesse_M
Just replace damaged props.
Accuweather can only give you a very generalised forecast or observations that can't account for exactly the conditions you find yourself exposed to.
You have to be your own weather man in deciding to fly/not fly.
btw .. prop guards are like sails and catch the wind making your Phantom less able to handle windy conditions.
So i'll change the one that is broken only. I inspected others, i dont see any breaking signs on them. Only dirt.

Today i had gut ffeeling not to fly, but i still stupidly did, which i really do regret.

So youa re saying if i EVER decide to fly again in the windy day, i should take off the guards?

So i'll change the one that is broken only. I inspected others, i dont see any breaking signs on them. Only dirt.

Today i had gut ffeeling not to fly, but i still stupidly did, which i really do regret.

So youa re saying if i EVER decide to fly again in the windy day, i should take off the guards?

I know the feeling. Gotta trust your gut bro! Good luck and thanks for sharing.

The gimbal protector is a hit or miss. There r many fakes that r bendy and don't protect. Luckily I ordered one on eBay with a gimbal lock and camera sunshade for 10$ and got a great gimbal guard. The sellers name is flying-xys

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj