First time Quad flyer here....Phantom 3 Advanced coming tomorrow

Reaction score
I purchased a cheap $100 quad about a week ago and had a lot of fun with it, but became interested in something better. I initially purchased the Phantom 3 Standard from Amazon that is actually scheduled to be delivered today. Yesterday in a moment of weakness/clarity, I decided to go ahead and step up and purchase the Phantom 3 Advanced from Amazon....which will be delivered tomorrow....I will return the Standard to Amazon. Here are some specific questions I have:

I will be using a iPhone 6s when I fly the Phantom.....will it do well with the Lightbridge system and I know it wont be as easy to see/use as an iPad.

I plan to keep the Phantom within sight for a few weeks until I get used to the controls...the thought of flying out of sight frightens me at this point! Are there any considerations for when I do fly out of sight regarding the treeline, hills, other obstructions that may interfere with the signal?

What wind conditions should I stay away from. 10 mph plus?

I really want to fly this over a lake that we frequent in the summer, so I will have plenty of time to practice before then.

I live in north Georgia, USA....so our winters arent bad usually. What outside temperatures should I stay away from flying in?

Any other tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on your purchase. You def made a good choice getting the advanced over the standard. Believe me I had the standard and.... Well.... Took it back and got the advanced lol. As for the light bridge that's all to do with the remote and the drone. It has nothing to do with the actual phone. The remote sends the signal to the phone for live streaming with the USB cable connected to the phone and remote (so no need at all to turn wifi on) what you need to do is on the settings make sure it says "return to home" where it loses signal (other option is to hover which you don't want, ESP if it's far sway and you lost signal) and depending on your area make sure you got a decent height for the return to home function set. If you lose signal the drone will raise to a certain height that you set, then return to you, then when it gets to your location it will lower.

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Webby
And of course... Calibrate the drone and also the compass before you go and fly. No need to download any firmware as of yet. See how it flies... Then you decide if you want to upgrade or not to the latest firmware [emoji4]

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
I started similarly. Learned on a HAK 909, and then had to get a Phantom. I decided to concentrate on my flying, so I didn't even use a mobile device / phone / tablet / app for the first couple weeks. Just the controller and the aircraft in an open field.

I suggest reading the manual from top to bottom slowly and carefully at least twice. I also recommend perusing this forum for threads that interest you at least once a day.

Enjoy!

Are there any considerations for when I do fly out of sight regarding the treeline, hills, other obstructions that may interfere with the signal?
All that you mentioned will block your signal, so you'll need to stay above them to stay in control. Also, as noted earlier your RTH altitude should be set to a level higher than anything in the area. Keep in mind that RTH height is in relation to your starting point, so don't forget to consider the distant terrain elevation.

Reactions: JoBe
I use iPhone 6SPlus to fly my P3P with both DJI Go and Autopilot, no complaints. The device you plan to use to fly your P3A is more than capable to handle it.

When you first activate the Phantom you may a message that you need to update the firmware. I would recommend, and this is only a recommendation only take it for what it is worth, do not perform the firmware update until after you have flown the aircraft a few times.
We all in this forum have different opinions in terms of fw updates. Some of us are going to tell you to go ahead update the fw, some of us like me are going to tell you not to do it.
I have been flying my Phantom 3 Professional with an old firmware (1.7.X I believe) and can't be happier.
You are going to read stories in this forum of Phantom Pilots having issues flying after a fw update.

Congrats! I was not even in the market for a P3A when I got mine (Weakness? Maybe) because I got a steal of a deal on it but I could not be happier with it. I have 4 other quads that I built and enough parts to start a hobby shop.

I still like flying my other quads for different reasons but for AP and way point the P3A is mt go to.

The amount of wind you are comfortable with has a few factors. Skill level, craft stability and can it return against the wind. I have flown in 30mph with my powerful modified "Flame wheel" and it does fine but there is no way I would put a Phantom up in 30 Mph.

And read the manual. Doesn't come with the bird, but you can download it from the DJI webpage.

Reactions: Falcon900

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik