First Time Pilot

Reaction score
So I just got my P3A, which is my first drone and my first time piloting anything.

I now see why it's recommended to find a nice open field to practice - very disconcerting flying over houses when I don't have a lot of time at the controls. Hopefully in the next few days I will get some time flying in an open area.

Any recommendations around Windermere (or west of Orlando).

Make sure your take offs are decisive. Don't just slowly apply power or you may tend to move with it not off the ground causing tip over.
Same with landing. Get it within a foot of ground and put it down,

After landing. Shut the motors of by pulling the left stick fully down for 3 seconds. This is the only way to shut off the motors after landing.
Any other method causes tip over.

When you get it up to 8ft or so. Gently nudge the sticks and see the reaction. They are quite sensitive.

Good luck.

Reactions: johnrobbfl
So I just got my P3A, which is my first drone and my first time piloting anything.

I now see why it's recommended to find a nice open field to practice - very disconcerting flying over houses when I don't have a lot of time at the controls. Hopefully in the next few days I will get some time flying in an open area.

Any recommendations around Windermere (or west of Orlando).

I have found that just about any school will have plenty of room. They have large parking lots, baseball, soccer, football fields, and this time of year, no one is around to injure! Just take your time and do your preflight. Pay attention to your GoAPP and calibrate compass if it says to. Give it a chance to warm up before taking off. Once taking off, let it hover and check flight controls for about 1/2 a minute before flying around the area. Make sure your antennas are pointed upward and are at a 90 degree angle to the bird as you're flying away. Just know that you will intermittently lose signal when any obstacles are between you and the bird. If you get disoriented, look on the lower left of the screen at the virtual "radar". If you want to bring it home, simply aim the little arrow toward the center of the "radar" scope, push the right stick forward, and you're good to go! Also you can lower the sensitivity of the sticks by unscrewing the sticks some, which will lengthen them.

Reactions: johnrobbfl
I thought it was just the opposite with the sticks. Doesn't lengthening them make them slightly more sensitive, and therefore more accurate?

Please do, Correct my thinking, if I am mistaken.

RedHotPoker

So ( why do people start sentences with"so"?) I have a great tip. Do not, repeat, do not fly over houses! Can you imagine losing control and hitting on somebody barbecuing in the back yard? Or hitting a car driving down the road? Go over to green swamp wilderness and fly.

Why So? Try having a limited vocabulary, and poor reading skills, for starters.
Shall I go on? Hahaha
Perhaps do much more writing too, broaden your scope and lengthen your vast horizon of words and phrases. English language can be quite complicated, but if you're at all fluent, and can speak eloquently, you get much more respect from this Phantom drone Pilot. ;-)
Buy a thesaurus.. Hehe

Say what?!??! Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Be careful in the Orlando area. Lots of airports, lots of controlled airspace. Best to (as said above) get to less populated areas. It's also a good idea to pick something to photograph. This helps acclimate you to keeping the bird oriented, and understand just what you're supposed to be doing with the P3!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using PhantomPilots mobile app

I thought it was just the opposite with the sticks. Doesn't lengthening them make them slightly more sensitive, and therefore more accurate?

Please do, Correct my thinking, if I am mistaken.

RedHotPoker

The resolution and fine tuning of movement is better, yes. It is less touchy, more control. I don't think I have ever went full range on either stick, except maybe full throttle up a time or 2, but its rare. Very small movements is all that's needed, and lengthening the sticks will make it less jumpy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers