First time hand catch.

I agree! I'll take a few hours in ER to prevent a few blades of grass or heavens forbid some dust in my P3... :) Plus it's a great way to deliver beers to guest's! Great practice too! :) Ahahah Oh what fun when these threads pop up.
ER? Really? Are you that clumsy? :) I have hand caught about 300+ (between a P1,P2, and now P3) times and never even came close to getting sliced & diced, all it takes is a little coordination and common sense. But then again, that IS is short supply these days :)

Reactions: envisionabove
ER? Really? Are you that clumsy? :) I have hand caught about 300+ (between a P1,P2, and now P3) times and never even came close to getting sliced & diced, all it takes is a little coordination and common sense. But then again, that IS is short supply these days :)

It's the 301! :) No here is catching with a drone! :)
dronefishingstill.jpg

Attachments

• dronefishingstill.jpg
    dronefishingstill.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: Reed L
I've always hand caught beginning with the P1. One landing mishap and you've ruined a good set of props. With proper concentration and procedure hand catching is an easy fix.

I guess if you don't know how to land on the ground properly, hand-catching is okay.

:p :p :p

It doesn't matter to me how you land her, as long as it's done without damage to you or the bird.

i always land it on the ground.
less chance of going to the E R.
i have been bit by props many times
several stitches not fun.

I usually remove my P3 from the air with my hand. It really is extremely easy but, hey, do what you are comfortable with. I also hand catch my camera plane when necessary due to lack of an adequate landing spot. Now that actually takes some skill. Plucking the P3 from its stationary spot 7 feet in the air does not.

I hand catch by hovering 7' off the ground, walk to it, grab the leg with one hand and power down with the left stick all the way down.

I landed on the ground once and flipped the machine and broke my blades.

Clumsy no I believe not. 100% pilot error. Left hand up (left stick needed to power down) grabbed it fine and then it went all to hell. Bird spun and hit my arm the it tried to correct itself and then powered down. Clumsy no. Stupid yes. Now have understood the process however I have 1 question. When I hold down the left stick and the bird is in the air (say 50 metres) I hold the stick down for more than 3 seconds and bird does not power down. When grounded and hold stick down it powers down. When I hold it does it drop or power down?

Clumsy no I believe not. 100% pilot error. Left hand up (left stick needed to power down) grabbed it fine and then it went all to hell. Bird spun and hit my arm the it tried to correct itself and then powered down. Clumsy no. Stupid yes. Now have understood the process however I have 1 question. When I hold down the left stick and the bird is in the air (say 50 metres) I hold the stick down for more than 3 seconds and bird does not power down. When grounded and hold stick down it powers down. When I hold it does it drop or power down?

The P3 senses downward motion. In flight pulling the stick right back just makes it come down. As soon as it stops descending the power goes off after 3 seconds.
If you are holding the P3 it will power off.

I walk up to the drone hovering at eye level, put the controller between my hip and forearm, reaching over the top with my left hand, pressing it against me while putting fingers on both sticks, grab one leg securely with my right hand, then push the sticks together and down for a CSC instant stop. I've never even been close to getting injured. I know some use a lanyard to hold the controller, and others go stick down for 3 seconds, but my method is pretty reliable if your hand is big enough to reach over the top to grab both sticks and hold the controller against your body.

myself i built a landing table. always land on it and its 1 meter above the ground so i get no dust in my phantom [emoji4]

Hand catch is misleading. You are not catching the drone . That would imply it was moving which it shouldn't be. Mslinger video below is the way to do it. The only way in fact.

Wow didn't know such a simple action would generate such a response. Sorry about the scars, getting sliced is no fun. But it doesn't seem like hand catching should need that much explanation, I do it on windy days all the time. Just reach up, grab the legs and power down. I do have big hands though so that could be why I don't see an issue.

Hand catch is misleading. You are not catching the drone . That would imply it was moving which it shouldn't be. Mslinger video below is the way to do it. The only way in fact.

It IS moving. Just as fast as I am. And in the same direction. Which, for most of us silly humans, is west to east.

i always land it on the ground.
less chance of going to the E R. i have been bit by props many times several stitches not fun.
Landing on the ground is fine as well. However, if you are catching and cutting yourself several times then you are doing something wrong. Hover slightly downwind at about 1' above your head. Walk up to the drone and grab one landing leg right where it meets the body. Don't move that hand. With the other hand, press down on the left stick until the motors stop. Done deal.

I suspect most people get into trouble as they move the drone before the motors are shut down. Keep in mind, grabbing and shutting the motors down takes 3 seconds.

I sit in a chair with the remote in my lap throughout the flight. Then bring the P3 to me with my right leg crossed to hold the remote, reach up and grab the right front leg as it is facing me every time with my left hand and then power down with my right hand on the remote, simple, clean and works well in Attitude also.

Your truly, hand catching.

Me%20Hand%20Catching.jpg

Notice I am reaching UP, not OUT. If the thing drifts due to a wind gust, it will ALWAYS drift away from me. It will have to move away, then drop, then back towards me to have a chance of slicing and dicing me.

Once I have a firm grip on the skid, I left-stick-down until the motors stop. THEN I move the bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj