First time going to the beach. Considerations?

Reaction score
I have about 30 or so flights under my belt. I have flown over bodies of water as well but it has been calm and with no people to keep from flying over. I will be going to Rehoboth Beach, DE tomorrow and will be taking my P3A with me. Other than the normal considerations and keeping it and others safe. Anything else i should worry about? Sand, waves throwing visual sensor off, etc... Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Beware of 250 pound women who think you are breaking the law.

This is honestly one of my fears. I am going with my wife and her friends so i'm hoping I will be ok. I usually carry around the MD SB 370 passed saying that no local laws/ordinances are valid and are superseded by FAA regulations but since I am in DE i don't have that. Might need to look to see if they have something similar.

I have the best reception over the ocean, and have flown it in wind up to 15-20mph without issue.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I love flying over the coast. I have never had a negative encounter. A lot of people show interest and ask how much they run and how fun that looks. The only thing to watch/listen out for is low flying coast guard helicopters...

I love flying over the coast. I have never had a negative encounter. A lot of people show interest and ask how much they run and how fun that looks. The only thing to watch/listen out for is low flying coast guard helicopters...
Also I am assuming banner planes that frequent beaches. I also figured i might encounter a interested person as well.

How does everyone take off? I figure directly from the sand is a bad idea. I am thinking about bringing a table along specifically for this.

Take off from the sand isn't so bad if you pop up quickly, but landing slowly and careful may raise loose sand. Get one of your companions to hand catch it for you, Sometimes I take off from a little table. You could also land on a beach towel. I usually tell nearby people that I will be flying for fun and not spying on them.

Take off from the sand isn't so bad if you pop up quickly, but landing slowly and careful may raise loose sand. Get one of your companions to hand catch it for you, Sometimes I take off from a little table. You could also land on a beach towel.
Thanks. I haven't done a catch landing yet, beach towel sounds like a good idea though.

Also I am assuming banner planes that frequent beaches. I also figured i might encounter a interested person as well.

How does everyone take off? I figure directly from the sand is a bad idea. I am thinking about bringing a table along specifically for this.

I take off from tables along the park area next to the beach, but you can also take off from sidewalks, walkways, etc. I usually hand catch when returning.

I carry a 14" square peice of 3/16" plywood as a launch pad and hand catch. Never had an issue with sand. I use the plywood to screed of a level area of sand before placing the plywood down.

Try and launch from an area well away from people and fly in a way that it is obvious you dont have a particular interest in filming people. I carry an sd reader and OTG cable so i can show the video to someone if they suspect their privacy has been compromised. They tend to be amazed when they see they are unidentifiable in the footage. This has only happened on one occasion.

Go early or late in the day when less people are out. The light is.much better then anyway.

Be prepared for an audience and especially mindful of kids that will gather around you like you are an ice cream vendor. I ask people to give me space when landing, often the best solution is to walk away from them and hand catch on return.

Just a update. I did not fly at all unfortunately. I went to Delaware's Cape Henlopen state park's beach which stated in the rules model aircraft flight was prohibited. When we finally made it over to the boardwalk area i had a bit of anxiety due to the sheer amount of people. It would have been extremely hard to avoid flying over someone even if just briefly and trying to find a quiet area to actually launch and land would have been a pain. I just scrapped the idea which was very disappointing but i would have felt horrible if i injured someone or lost my craft just because i wanted to get some pictures.

Just a update. I did not fly at all unfortunately. I went to Delaware's Cape Henlopen state park's beach which stated in the rules model aircraft flight was prohibited. When we finally made it over to the boardwalk area i had a bit of anxiety due to the sheer amount of people. It would have been extremely hard to avoid flying over someone even if just briefly and trying to find a quiet area to actually launch and land would have been a pain. I just scrapped the idea which was very disappointing but i would have felt horrible if i injured someone or lost my craft just because i wanted to get some pictures.
Well judgments like that is what will keep the sport strong!

The large woman comment reminded me of this about the trip. Dolphins showed up about 15-20 yards away from the beach at most which I almost decided to attempt to break the rules to get on film. I have never seen them come so close to shore before which was pretty awesome.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic