First time Drone owner - Bought Phantom 3 Advanced

Nice bet you have awesome footage of the Petons. Had my honeymoon there wish I had a drone then (sigh)
Yes i cant wait to get back
Home to film it i hope i can reach the height with the 500m limit[emoji37]

i have seen on the internet people using some kind of foil reflector to boost signal. does this really work? also i have seen people opening the controller and doing some mods and putting a much more powerful antenna to get more distance. Please advise

I would also invest in some prop guards because I can almost promise you they will save you a lot of heartaches and quite possibly your phantom itself. some people on this forum say they are a waste of money but I think they're a wise (but small) investment especially with new fliers.

these are the removable kind so you can take them on and off as needed. for example, you can remove them when you need to transport your aircraft then put them on when you're ready to fly.

http://www.amazon.com/Summitlink®-P...53330&sr=8-3&keywords=dji+phantom+prop+guards

Unless you will be flying in confined quarters I recommend not using prop guards. For two reasons, one being they show up too easily when taking picture and video and second they add unnecessary weight and wind resistance or drag which is mainly a problem when flying in winds above 15 mph.

As a first time flyer you should be flying in an open area away from power lines and trees or above them to avoid accidental collision.

Some will advocate prop guards to help with accidental tip overs when landing or improper take off but mainly landing. As long as you let the phantom self stabilize a couple of feet off the ground before landing then using only the left stick pulled all the way down and held for a couple of seconds to shut off the props vs using a CSC command you will be fine and no worries about w tip over. Please skip the prop guards but if you must, the I suggest using quick disconnect prop guards to use mainly when flying in tight spaces or near obstacles.

also if someone calls my mobile would i loose connection to the drone?

No, but DJI's safety guidelines state this about it:

2) If you are using a phone as your mobile display device, be sure to continue flying safely when the phone receives an incoming call. Do NOT accept phone calls during flight.

Here are some links for you, they make a good read while you're waiting for your Phantom to arrive:

Quick start guide: http://download.dji-innovations.com...antom_3_Professional_Quick_Start_Guide_en.zip

Manual: http://download.dji-innovations.com...hantom_3_Professional_User_Manual_v1.2_en.zip

Safety Guidelines: http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Safety_Guidelines_Disclaimer_en.zip

Welcome to the club!

Have another question. My drone is being sent via Air freight to Trinidad and Tobago where i live. Due to shipping and handling it may be shaken up a bit. Do you all recommend i do a IMU calibration before i fly? i have seen some youtube videos saying its a good thing to do. Please advise

i have seen on the internet people using some kind of foil reflector to boost signal. does this really work? also i have seen people opening the controller and doing some mods and putting a much more powerful antenna to get more distance. Please advise
No need to do anything to get more range.
the P3 out of the box will go further than you have battery power to bring it back.

the P3 out of the box will go further than you have battery power to bring it back.
I flew 3000ft out and was getting weak video signal and this distance isn't very far as to the capabilities of the p3a

I flew 3000ft out and was getting weak video signal and this distance isn't very far as to the capabilities of the p3a
That doesn't mean that your P3 will only fly 3000 ft under other conditions.
There are many variables that affect range and it's quite possible it will fly much further if you experiment with it.

That doesn't mean that your P3 will only fly 3000 ft under other conditions.
There are many variables that affect range and it's quite possible it will fly much further if you experiment with it.
I was above a railway with a train flying at 65ft. Could that be a factor?

That's not necessarily true. Range of the P3 is HIGHLY dependent on where you fly. You will get No Where near the range in an urban environment as those people flying crazy distances in the middle of nowhere or over the ocean with no RF near them or the Phantom.

Absolutely!!! Make sure it's on a flat surface (Check surface with a level in all directions) and if you can, do it when it's the coolest temperature. Have your control all fired up before you turn on the phantom so that as soon as you power up the phantom you can go right into the IMU calibration. Then walk away from it and let it do it's think for awhile. When it's finished immediately do a gimbal calibration also.

I was above a railway with a train flying at 65ft. Could that be a factor?

Wow, you flew above 3000 ft worth of railway track before getting a weak signal?
At 'only' an altitude of 65 feet?

That's quite impressive.

Try flying a bit higher if you want better range. The better ranges require flying at 300-400 feet. Also make sure you direct your atennas the right way. (Long side facing the Phantom)

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers