First time Drone owner - Bought Phantom 3 Advanced

Reaction score
Dear forum members,

I am a first time drone owner. I ordered the phantom 3 advanced and will be getting it next week. I am from Trinidad and Tobago in the caribbean. I don't know anything about drones but after looking at all the videos recorded with the P3 i had to buy one. I got a Samsung galaxy s4 phone and downloaded the pilot app. it installed successfully - does this mean i can use my phone to pilot the drone? also if someone calls my mobile would i loose connection to the drone? I would really appreciate some advice as i am a novice to this.

Thank you

Well, you really won't be controlling the aircraft from your smartphone. You'll be seeing the telemetry on the smartphone but the actual controls are from the controller. You should however put your smartphone in airplane mode if you plan on using it as your display for the aircraft. Trust me, you don't want to be solely depending on your phone to see all your aircraft's vitals when all of the sudden you get a call.

The best route would be to buy yourself a good tablet like an iPad Mini 2 instead. They've been proven to work very well with the Phantoms.

Reactions: Jagdesh Samaroo
Great thank you phantom3menace. And one else has some good advise for me? as i mention i knows nothing about drones. This is my first time owning one.

Great thank you phantom3menace. And one else has some good advise for me? as i mention i knows nothing about drones. This is my first time owning one.

Yes before you get it or fly it go to DJI web site and download the newest version of the full manual. Read the whole thing over before flying. If you have a friend with an iOS device take advantage of using the flight simulator first. The simulator is only available in the iOS version of the DJI Pilot app. First time flyers should stick to keeping the nose pointed away from you so you get used to the orientation of the Phantom vs the controls without getting confused when the nose points in and right becomes left and left right. And one last thing. The Phantom is technically a quad copter. :)

I would also invest in some prop guards because I can almost promise you they will save you a lot of heartaches and quite possibly your phantom itself. some people on this forum say they are a waste of money but I think they're a wise (but small) investment especially with new fliers.

these are the removable kind so you can take them on and off as needed. for example, you can remove them when you need to transport your aircraft then put them on when you're ready to fly.

http://www.amazon.com/Summitlink®-P...53330&sr=8-3&keywords=dji+phantom+prop+guards

Thats to lock the camera when i store it away rite/? where can it be purchased

Yes but it's also a dust cap for the lens. I bought mine on ebay from ""Droning on" I got a red one. It's also very easy not to forget to take it off because it's on the front of the phantom. I prefer this silicon rubber one to the hard plastic ones you see.

With your Android device it important to realize the app won't connect with your phantom 3 controller for vision unless the USB in your S4 is put in debug mode. Sometimes that is hard to enable in some Android devices. It's located under SETTINGS>SYSTEM> DEVELOPER OPTIONS> DEBUGGING> USB DEBUGGING. Check the box for USB debugging. If you don't see DEVELOPER OPTIONS under SYSTEM, let me know, I can tell you how to enable that, but most the time is visible.

With your Android device it important to realize the app won't connect with your phantom 3 controller for vision unless the USB in your S4 is put in debug mode. Sometimes that is hard to enable in some Android devices. It's located under SETTINGS>SYSTEM> DEVELOPER OPTIONS> DEBUGGING> USB DEBUGGING. Check the box for USB debugging. If you don't see DEVELOPER OPTIONS under SYSTEM, let me know, I can tell you how to enable that, but most the time is visible.

i will check that tonight. if my s4 can would i would use it as it would save me from buying a tablet.

btw should i update the firmware that comes in the P3 and controller? or can leave it stocked?
IMO -- Leave it for now-- there is a newer update coming soon-- some have had some issues with 1.2.6 and 1.2.8. You can search the forum on this, there is a lot of discussion on this issue.

If your phantom works perfectly fine i suggest dont update the firmware as some people encounter problems. I got mines 1 week now and works like a charm btw im from st. Lucia

If your phantom works perfectly fine i suggest dont update the firmware as some people encounter problems. I got mines 1 week now and works like a charm btw im from st. Lucia

cool next year i will be visiting on vacation. maybe we can meet in person and do some flying lol

Hi Jagdesh,
Well come on in, to the forum and extended Phantom family.
You have a lot to learn young grasshopper... Very much.
Reading the PDF manuals is a great way to brush up on your basics and get a general understanding of how these awesome Phantoms operate. As well it helps beat back the boredom of waiting for the Phantom to arrive. Also strongly advise you to read up at a few of the instructional first pilot webpages, here's a few to get you and others started...
http://dronebuff.com/how-to-fly-a-quadcopter/
http://myfirstdrone.com/how-to-fly-a-quadcopter/
Jamie and Adam even have a helpful page as well, (& they fly DJI)...
http://www.tested.com/art/makers/466372-how-get-hobby-rc-learning-fly-quadcopters/
Where they explain specific things to practice in the very beginning, as you get more used to the controls, and gain muscle memory in your fingers or thumbs. You going to be "stick thumber or finger pincher" when you fly??
The Phantom 3 radio control sticks are adjustable, you can make them longer for more accurate control. Learn about the gentle breakin of your flight battery, first ten flights, only fly down to 50% power capacity. After twenty flights, drain them down to 8% and charge back to 100%.

Find a nice quiet open area preferably out of wind to practice your flying.
Flying alone without distraction at first is what I found best.

Good luck and have a lot of fun, it's a wonderful hobby and past time.
You found a well rounded forum to assist you when you need help or any assistance in some technical issue as well, pertaining to the Phantoms and Inspire 1 models.

Share some video of your beginning flying escapades too. ;-)

You're Welcome...

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Nice bet you have awesome footage of the Petons. Had my honeymoon there wish I had a drone then (sigh)

Hi Jagdesh,
Well come on in, to the forum and extended Phantom family.
You have a lot to learn young grasshopper... Very much.
Reading the PDF manuals is a great way to brush up on your basics and get a general understanding of how these awesome Phantoms operate. As well it helps beat back the boredom of waiting for the Phantom to arrive. Also strongly advise you to read up at a few of the instructional first pilot webpages, here's a few to get you and others started...
http://dronebuff.com/how-to-fly-a-quadcopter/
http://myfirstdrone.com/how-to-fly-a-quadcopter/
Jamie and Adam even have a helpful page as well, (& they fly DJI)...
http://www.tested.com/art/makers/466372-how-get-hobby-rc-learning-fly-quadcopters/
Where they explain specific things to practice in the very beginning, as you get more used to the controls, and gain muscle memory in your fingers or thumbs. You going to be "stick thumber or finger pincher" when you fly??
The Phantom 3 radio control sticks are adjustable, you can make them longer for more accurate control. Learn about the gentle breakin of your flight battery, first ten flights, only go town to 50% power capacity. After twenty flights, drain them down to 8% and charge back to 100%.

Find a nice quiet open area preferably out of wind to practice your flying.
Flying alone without distraction at first is what I found best.

Good luck and have a lot of fun, it's a wonderful hobby and past time.
You found a well rounded forum to assist you when you need help or any assistance in some technical issue as well, pertaining to the Phantoms and Inspire 1 models.

Share some video of your beginning flying escapades too. ;-)

You're Welcome...

RedHotPoker

Thank you for your warn welcome. I greatly appreciate your feedback, i will sure put up some videos when i fly. Thank you once more

Reactions: RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4