First things First, thoughts please..

TCW

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'll start off by telling about myself. Always have been fascinated with flying stuff, and currently work in the aviation field for the past 25 yrs. now. I was heavy in fixed wing RC for years, but trying to raise a young family and realizing the money pit it was, I gave it up....till now! I was recently on a family vacation to the coast where one of the family brought his Phantom 2 for entertainment as well as getting some awesome family photos. This is when I became intrigued! So I have re-entered the hobby/madness as the proud owner of a P3P..I soon realized that my android device wasn't on the recommended device list so I have an I Pad Mini 3 coming, wifi + cellar, as I have scoured this forum and made my decision. So back to the thread title, what's the first things to do? I've read a lot here, watched numerous You Tubes, looked through the owner's manual ( very vague at best, the manual) and if anything, I feel more confused. Update firmware, or no? The P3P and RC, or just P3P, or only the RC, use the latest DJI Go App or the original Pilot App. Currently my objective is to simply learn to fly at a beginners pace, not looking for trick flying, max distances, cool video/pics just yet, but simply learn to fly safely and proficiently out of the box. I haven't even powered either the P3P or RC up yet, so I don't know what firmware is on it, however I just received it Aug 6, if the lends clue to what version may be loaded on them. Sorry this might seem rambling, or be in the wrong forum, but I thought I'd start here as I am asking for help. Thanks in Advance for any input..Tim

Check out this guide too:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/10tozj6qxe0xn96/DJI Phantom P3 Summary Guide.pdf?dl=0

The current firmware seems stable, so it would be a good idea to update. Here are detailed installation instructions:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-install-phantom-3-firmware-if-using-dji-go.50065

msinger,

Thanks for the links as they'll be helpful..So basically, out of the box, accomplish your firmware updates, follow checklists and then go flying? Should I be using auto take off and return to home features? Thanks

I've tried the auto takeoff just to see how it works. I prefer to be the one controlling my Phantom at all times, so I rarely use it.

It's a good idea to understand how RTH works. Read that section of the Phantom manual for more details. RTH is useful in the case of a lost signal, but it's not a good idea to let your Phantom auto land if you're in the landing area and are able to take control back before it lands. When landing manually, you are able to land in the most ideal spot and can do so more smoothly than the Phantom.

Reactions: snowghost
Hi, I'm in the same boat as you, flew rc aircraft and cp heli's for a number of years, gave it up , then brought a phantom, iv'e had mine since june and haven't had any problems, iv'e done all the updates without issue, I never use auto take off the truth is you just don't need it, its a doddle, I also hand catch mine, its safe if you're carefull and save debris being thrown about also the was from the blades unsettles the phantom when close to the ground, make sure you break in the battery properly and don't desend to quickly or you can shut it down

Reactions: Dave Ward
What happens when you hold the left stick down for a few seconds, doesn't it shut down the motors?, maybe I got that wrong

NEAL, that will only happen if your Phantom stops descending for 3-5 seconds. Only a CSC will kill the motors instantly.

OK, thanks, I've always come down slowly because of that, hear special many people losing their p3 because of csc

Left stick down and CSC are not the same thing. You have nothing to worry about :)

Ok everyone, good things to consider. My I Pad Mini 3 will arrive tomorrow, so I'll get going then, updates, checklists, then go fly. Also, do you recommend staying in beginner mode for awhile? What's it do, basically limit your ceiling and distance? Sounds desirable to me until i gain confidence. Also, is there instructions as to "breaking in" your battery? Tim

I don't think you need to limit yourself by using beginner mode. Just use common sense, and remain at the speed, distance and altitude you feel comfortable with, and gradually increase as you feel more daring and when you're ready. Although I've been flying a quad and a hex for a while, I set beginner mode the first time I went out with my P3P, and then I thought there was something wrong with it, as it kept stopping. Of course, I'd reached the beginner mode distance limit, but wanted more!
Keep an eye on your battery %. It's all too easy to get absorbed in flying only to be confronted with an unexpected (and scary, first time) RTH because you went flat. Don't be tempted to try ATTI for a while, it's quite a different feeling.

Finally, have a ball! It's a great machine. Good luck.

The P3 is remarkably easy to fly. Go through the checklist offered above to ensure you have everything in order. I had been flying a cheap X5C toy before which I think did a LOT to prep me for using the RC controls. I had my brother practice on that before I allowed him to fly the P3 and it seemed to help him as well. Other than that, this thing is amazingly easy to fly.

I usually keep a good height like 75' to 100' just to make sure I don't run into trees or high lines. I'm starting to get to where I'll fly lower for certain shots but not sure I completely trust the VPS yet. Seems like it loses elevation even though the app thinks it hasn't.

Have fun, you will love this hobby.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl