Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

First spill, stubborn shell clips and screws, tips?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by SLAYYER, May 30, 2016.

1. SLAYYER

TLDR, I was rushed and didn't take my surroundings in to account as much as I should have and didn't use a way point or home lock function that probably would have prevented the crash. I hit the side of a friends house and landed in some rocks.

I broke 3 props which I am not worried about since 4 are $15 on Amazon. The seem on the shell was split open and I needed to push some clips back over to the other side and looks good for the most part except for 2 spots around 2 of the motors. There must be a clip that I am not seeing correctly or that I am unaware of but I cant seem to get it to close. See here

I feel like I could fix whatever it is that wrong with those clips around the 2 motors but there is another problem. So I tried taking the shell off at the friends house since he has more than enough tools to do it. I got all of the screws out except 3 of the 4 that are seated in the deep whole near the landing gear. I am afraid that they will strip and I will be in a worse position than I currently am. I am guessing I might be able to buy a new T6 or 8 (whichever I need) with a longer shaft and bigger handle to get some more leverage. Does anyone have any tips from experience to share with me?

#1 SLAYYER, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. ryantrax

It looks like the screw threads just pulled lose from the screws at the motor. Try unscrewing the screws and screw them back in properly, that just might do it. As far as tools to use Dynamite makes some excellent quality tools that I use, here is a pic of one of them:
    [​IMG]

3. SLAYYER

I tired unscrewing them and screwing them back in. It worked on one but still couldn't position the shell quite right for the others at the time. I'm sure with some more tinkering I can get it. I'll go shopping around tomorrow at maybe a hardware store or an auto shop for that driver. Is it a T6 or T8 that I need?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

4. ryantrax

T8 for all the screws except for the small ones on the end of the arms are T6

5. ryantrax

Oh and motor mount screw are 2.0mm hex.

6. ryantrax

This is a good disassembly video:

7. SLAYYER

I appreciate the help! Hopefully things go smoothly tomorrow. That's actually the video I pulled up at my friends house.

8. ryantrax

Good luck! Be careful of the GPS cable when opening.

SLAYYER likes this.
  9. SLAYYER

I'll have to watch the video more closely to see what you are talking about before doing anything.

10. ryantrax

11. SLAYYER

12. ryantrax

13. SLAYYER

Ohhh I like that. I have the Allen key version already. I'm guessing my hardware shop will be able to hook me up with some quality stuff. If not I will pick these up. Thanks!

14. SLAYYER

I got a driver from my hardware store. Wasn't as big of a handle as I would have liked but it offered a bit more grip and leverage than the other one I was using and I was able to get them out with some pressure and slow twists. Now to pop the top and re seat it.

15. SLAYYER

I think you had this backwards. The T8 is for all of the screws except the ones on the very ends.

16. ryantrax

Thats what I said. T8 is bigger than T6

17. SLAYYER

Oh whoops, I guess i was reading that wrong. Disregard that. I am still having trouble fitting the shell together around the motors. I just made a post with some pictures. Any ideas? Trouble putting shell back on around motors.