First run in with neighbor.....and the law

hovering over my house within earshot would be disturbing the peace. I have it from the horses mouth so to say. And whose to say I'm shooting at a rattle snake and a ricochet doesn't take out a drone hovering over my house? As I said, I love my drone and will fight for drone rights, but I value my peace, quiet and privacy more.

I wouldn't though. I live in the country where I can fire off firearms legally. Someone flies over my house, even hovers for a minute or two fine, but if it becomes what I consider out of line, .00 buck from a coach gun time. I've had this discussion with the county deputies whose jurisdiction I fall under.

I'm not sure what country you live in (I'm in the USA). We fly under the rules a regs of the FAA. The FAA has just recently made it a federal offense to disturb any drone or operator while the drone is in flight. If I'm flying and you come push me, that's a federal offense. If you shoot my drone down while I'm flying, that to is a federal offense and a civil offense. You would probably spend some time behind bars and receive a fine on top of replacing my drone.

Look, I would never hover over anyone's house, I have a bit more respect than that. I just want to spread the word and make people aware of what's really going on.

Maybe I wasn't clear about the disturbing the peace.

Disturbing the peace with sound/noise requires, in a court of law, a measurement. You would need to measure the decibels being emitted from my quad and then compare this to your local laws. I guarantee the sound from a quad at 3-400 feet is no where near that level.

Meant county, sorry. Trust me, it can be gotten away with unless you are a total dufus. But I LOVE DRONES, I don't want to see any shot down, I just don't want idiots flying them looking at teenage girls in a swimming pool.

I love drones too and I would never ever think of flying close to somebody's house. But I swear if someone was a nuisance with one by my house and hovering in close proximity you can bet it will be in the crosshairs of my 12x5x50 trigicon attached to my .25 caliber edgun air rifle.There would literally no escape.

The shoot em down cowboy theory is just so funny.

You guys should be worried about the news copters flying over at 500 feet with 2-3, HD high zoom cams and inferred to go along. Now those are capable of invading your privacy. It only takes a fly by to capture your whole house and with the inferred, you can see who is inside and what they are doing.......

Do you guys shoot at those helis:)

Again I mean no disrespect here. I'm trying to see the other side of things and want to hear your views.

The shoot em down cowboy theory is just so funny.

You guys should be worried about the news copters flying over at 500 feet with 2-3, HD high zoom cams and inferred to go along. Now those are capable of invading your privacy. It only takes a fly by to capture your whole house and with the inferred, you can see who is inside and what they are doing.......

Do you guys shoot at those helis:)

Again I mean no disrespect here. I'm trying to see the other side of things and want to hear your views.

I'd think there would be reason for a news helicopter.

I haven't flown my P4 in weeks because it's too dang hot. I installed the last firmware update and took it out for 9 minutes until the battery was low. As I landed, a strange guy pulled up and looked curious and asked how far that goes. I said it can go around 3 miles on a good day and I started to approach him thinking he was friendly and was going to talk. He immediately revved away from me and got all sketch so I backed up. He took his phone out and started looking for my address obviously. I said my address is XYZ, I'm not doing anything illegal. He was recording me and said so are you recording people? You ar huh? And then took off. This was around 8:30pm.

I literally flew straight down my street block. I live on a hill/mountain so I have an excellent view and clear line of sight. I probably didn't get much more than 1/2 mile away. I live in a community that basically backs up to a wash and wide open desert but have to pass a few houses to get ther, so I really don't fly over any houses and when I rarely do its at about 350' and long enough to fly over.

At about 10:30pm I get a knock on the door which wakes my 2 and 4 year old kids up. It was the police. Dude called 911 and reported me. The cop was pretty cool and said he had to just take my information down and give me a warning. He said it would be best not to fly around there again because if they got called back, they would have to wrte me up for disorderly conduct and it would be up to the prosecutor if they wanted to pursue it. I told him that it's just a case of his word against mine, what if the guy just starts calling. Also, how is he or even you going to be abl to identify a small object 300+ feet in the sky moving 20+ mph as mine?

The guy claimed I was hovering over his house for 5 minutes taking pictures and video at 50' above his house. Mind you, my entire flight was not even 10 minutes, I did zero hovering, I never hover over houses, and I wasn't even cording that flight.

I can't believe I was told if they get called again I am getting a ticket.

If I were you I would have told the officer flat out that I was not breaking any laws and I will not stop flying just so you don't get another call. And if you do write me up on a false charge it does not matter if the DA wants to follow through with it (doubtful) or not, as we will be going to court with you as a defendant in a lawsuit. I would then call the department and file a complaint explaining the FAA has authority here pointing out that they cannot prohibit a Cessna from flying over some guys house (it makes a lot more noise than a P4). If you make noise I guarantee they will quickly backpedal. I am a former Deputy Sheriff and we were instructed to be very careful about using color of law because my department lost a significant lawsuit due to a Deputy wanting to save paperwork. With that being said, I would recommend you fly over 200" if going over neighbor's houses.

Reactions: liketogethigh
Thats why you re
Look at it this way, all a cop has to do is say you're being disorderly, impound your Phantom and put you in cuffs. Then you get to deal with the ugly aftermath.
Thats why you record every encounter.

Would you also consider the sound of children playing within earshot, perhaps hovering near your fence, to also be disturbing the peace? Maybe a ricochet could deal with the annoying kids too? I'm not sure relying on legal advice from Mister Ed is a good choice. :)

hovering over my house within earshot would be disturbing the peace. I have it from the horses mouth so to say. And whose to say I'm shooting at a rattle snake and a ricochet doesn't take out a drone hovering over my house? As I said, I love my drone and will fight for drone rights, but I value my peace, quiet and privacy more.

I've called the cops on loud neighbors a few times in my life. I thought we were being serious, not playing make believe.

Not make believe. Not that I would personally hover over anyone's house but a drone hovering >100' over your property isn't all that different than a couple of teenagers hovering next to your fence. No matter what the horse said you're not justified in shooting either just because you can hear them.

I've called the cops on loud neighbors a few times in my life. I thought we were being serious, not playing make believe.

Guy's lets take a breath and chill before you post anymore on this .
Nuff said :)

I wouldn't though. I live in the country where I can fire off firearms legally. Someone flies over my house, even hovers for a minute or two fine, but if it becomes what I consider out of line, .00 buck from a coach gun time. I've had this discussion with the county deputies whose jurisdiction I fall under.
Under FAA rules, is illegal to shoot/take down a powered flying object. That's why only LEO has the right to have and use those drone killing devices.

No comment per THE MAN
Comment all you like but watch what you post .
It keeps on being personal than I will close this .

Reactions: J Dot
All I was saying in the post you deleted is that evidently some people don't mind being spied on or having their kids watched. Where I and Mr Ed are from it's not tolerated. But I don't think there's much left to be said and appreciate the job you do.

There has been 2 moderator warnings in here so lets play nice or not at all. Also, please have a little respect for the staff too. We do not get off on reprimanding people here, we are here trying to make the forum a better place. We are RC flyers just as you are and like things to be peaceful around here.

Make informative, educational comments, not confrontational, argumentative post.

Unknown.jpg

So, your solution is to file a false police report on something like Pedophilia!!? Holly crap, I cannot believe some of the comments made by our community here.
The whole idea and the way your process sickens me.
First we don't know if he'll ever here from this guy again, so based on what we know, a guy called the cops instead of pulling a weapon out or other means of dealing with his problem, because he "felt" it was his right, so in defense of yourself, you find it necessary to file a false report of something that can and should be devastating to a normal guy with kids?
Just shut up, I've never said this before to anyone on a forum, let alone this one where there are some great minds and good ppl, you have no shame and I'd hate to be the poor SOB that accidentally cut you off or hit your mailbox, what do you do to your dog when it has an accident? Shoot it?
Your a sad angry man, and anyone that condones or compliments this ridiculous behavior is an idiot.
I'd love to see how the cops and his lawyer handle your false claims, not only that if he lost his job because of this garbage, your directly on the hook for slander, as you should be, so when he wins and you owe him $2.5m for his next 10 years at his job, maybe that would give you time to think how.....stupid a remark like this is, what are you 10?

Ok, I'm out now, if you want to reply, and want a tiny chance in hell I'll even read it, make it personal message because....just yuck, yuck!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Perhaps you took his reply too literally - or perhaps, I didn't.... But when I read his post, and his suggestion, I firmly believed that it was "tongue in cheek" and not an actual, real piece of advice...

Whether it was actually real, or a joke gone wrong - I'm sure that most forum members would realize that filing such a false report as retaliation for this is a long way from being the best course of action.

He probably should have put the smiley face icon after his post in order to avoid this type of reaction - but I for one, assumed his post was a joke based on how ludicrous the advice actually was...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20