First Return to Home Flight

Reaction score
So I bought a new P4 for Christmas and have close to 20 flights under my belt. I purchased a set of parabolic antennas and was amazed at the increased distance of flight - flew 1.5 miles in direct line of sight. I could have kept going but still don't feel totally confident yet. That being said, I removed the parabolic antennas yesterday as I wanted to test the stock range around my house. It was a beautiful sunny day around 70 degrees F. I took off and proceeded on short loop around the neighborhood. I then flew parallel to the railroad tracks and pushed the bird out to about 4,500 ft. At this point, I completely lost FPV out of nowhere and about 15 seconds later got the return to home message. About 30 seconds later FPV was regained and I could see the P4 headed straight back to my location. Fewww, what a relief that was to see. I am feeling much more confident now with a successful RTH.

So here is where my questions come in. I've never experienced a sudden drop out of FPV like this. Usually the screen will flicker or it will drop out but regain connection within a second or two. I live in a fairly wooded area with a lot of homes and some small businesses. After reviewing my video, I noticed I flew fairly close to a large cell tower - probably 300 or 400 yards away. Could this have caused my sudden loss of connection? Also, is 4,500 ft a pretty good distance for my conditions on the stock setup?

I suspect that you may not have been high enough to prevent either the trees or possibly a building blocking your signal. Flying behind structures will kill your signal stone dead. Good antenna orientation and height are your friend and 4500ft is reasonable but I'm pretty sure you can get further than that.

I suspect that you may not have been high enough to prevent either the trees or possibly a building blocking your signal. Flying behind structures will kill your signal stone dead. Good antenna orientation and height are your friend and 4500ft is reasonable but I'm pretty sure you can get further than that.
Thanks, I was maintaining the FAA rules of 400 ft. Guess I'll have to just accept that distance for around here. Can't wait to try out a longer distance in the country without the trees or buildings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj