First real flight .... more or less ...

Reaction score
... in an open Space with GPS reception

Hi Guys,

I did take out my Phantom into the garden 6 meters ~ 20 feet wide by 20 meters ~65 feet long and flew 2 batteries.

Nice flying around, testing the sensitivity, the only nitbit is that my flight time was around 5-6 minutes only. Does that mean that my new LiPo batteries need to be formatted. I ahve to say that I was flying all time in GPS mode and it was a bit windy. Maybe that takes also more juice out of the batteries.

Anybody has experience what is the ambient wind speed limit for the Phanstom ?

I live in nearly 2000m height ~ 6560 feet over the sea level, ¿ does that have an influence as the Air is quite thinner then maybe at 500meter above sea level ?

I had a spare 1550 pelican case and the Phantom do0es fit in very nicely with the remote control as well as many spare LiPo batteries.

I will try to get on the weekend to the RC-Airport for more open space, but that is conditioned that my wife borrows me my car :lol:

I think I will also instal a red bright led on the battery door in order to see when it comes flying towards me.

After some training flights I will instal my oldie GoPro Hero first generation on it.

Thanks for reading and for any comments.

I know that helicopters have to work harder at higher altitudes. Not exactly sure about your battery issue though. Normally about 10 minutes is the average flight time.

Since you are new I suggest getting prop guards.

miskatonic said:
I know that helicopters have to work harder at higher altitudes. Not exactly sure about your battery issue though. Normally about 10 minutes is the average flight time.

Thanks. Yes I had ordered them but then I cancelled them as with Propguards the Phnaton doe not fit into the Pelican case # 1550 :?:

I will have to check my other case a 1620 of there is enought space for the Phanton with propguards.

Again thanks

rsfoto said:
miskatonic said:

Thanks. Yes I had ordered them but then I cancelled them as with Propguards the Phnaton doe not fit into the Pelican case # 1550 :?:

I will have to check my other case a 1620 of there is enought space for the Phanton with propguards.

Again thanks

The 1620 should work with prop guards if you lay the Phantom horizontally. I take mine off as I'm storing two Phantoms in the 1620. I do highly recommend having prop guards. It will protect the propellers and anything that it may run into as a newbie Phantom pilot like me. I know as I did some plant trimmings in my back yard. LOL!
Pellican_Case_for_Phantom.jpg

I live at 5200 ft altitude, and this weekend I'm at 8000 ft. I haven't really noticed any issues when flying the Phantom in terms of it having to work harder in either location. My batteries have all lasted the standard 10-12 minute amount.

I don't know the official wind shear amount, but somewhere on the forums it was mentioned no more than 20mph. Yesterday I flew in about 10, and the Phantom handled beautifully. I was actually very impressed.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

I told the store today NOT to cancel my order doe the prop guards and put a new order for another 6 LiPo batteries.

When and how do you really know the battery is at its end and you have to land.

I think my batteries need to be formatted so will fly as often as possible this weekend :)

Hi Guys,

Well I took the opportunity the last 5 days and flew as many as it is posssible with 2 LiPo batteries and it looks like they need some formatting time. I was able to do several videos of 10 minutes with each battery eg. the batteries after turning on and turning off with all the calibration and getting satelites etc. lasted about 13 to 14 minutes which I think is quite good.

I have a few more batteries now and will start to turn them around so they get better more and more flying time.

Some LiPo airplane flyers tolde me that charging at 1C is better then with a higher C. The batteries I have are all 2200mAh and allow a 2C charge. I am charging with the default Phantom charger at 3A but maybe will buy a bigger and charge then with 4A or 4.4 A.

What are the opinions here. How many cycles are you reaching until the LiPos are dead ?

Thanks for your comments.

RedFishChaser said:
rsfoto said:
miskatonic said:

Again thanks

I take mine off as I'm storing two Phantoms in the 1620.

Hi,

How long does it take to put them On and Off the Prop Guards. Will not with the time suffer the screws of the threaded Insert ?

Yes if it's windy and you're in gps mode your battery will run out faster as your Phantom will constantly be pitching into the wind I have some great footage of my Phantom doing exactly that on a windy day that being said 5 mins is a little short. And I wouldn't worry about the 2000m limit you will struggle to see your Phantom properly LONG before then and the thinness off the air won't be a problem either you wont get high enough for it to be a significant effect.

Brian

A couple of thought.

I have read that it takes 2-3 charging cycles for the batteries to settle in so it would be normal for flight times to get longer initially.

I bought one of the LED array lights to put on the front door purposefully to identify when the PH is pointing directly toward me at distance. I got the WHITE light so there would be no confusion with the red LEDs on the PH legs. I also imagined that the white light is more identifiable and penetrating than any color. It is absolutely visible out to the limit I can/would fly, even in bright sunlight.

One word on the LED. Mine came with the power lines soldered on the edge of the square board with double-sided tape. it stuck to the Ph front door just fine....BUT.....the solder joints, given the very small wires, are VERY fragile and pull off at the slightest catch. I fixed that by pulling off ALL the tape on the back of the LED, re-soldering the lines, then laying them across the back of the LED board and re-applying double-sided tape. This shortens the lines and might require some tinkering but the point is that pulling and catching on the power line will only pull on the lines stuck under the tape and NOT pull off the solder joint.

Good luck.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the good tips ;)

Here is my scariest flight just one week after beginning flying the phantom

http://astroforo.net/astro/dji/LaMagdalena-03b.wmv WARNING 30MB

The first attempt to get trough the iron gate was made opening both. Then I went through tho the one side closed as you can see.

Thanks for looking :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj