First purchase, P3a, P3p or P4?

I'm debating this exact question myself. So far I'm thinking the P3A but I think I will take the advice given earlier in the post and get a cheapo ($50) to learn on before stepping up. Whole lot easier to accept a $50 loss than $500+.

Once the price dropped on the Phantoms, I picked up a used/ 1 time charged battery/ like new P3P for cheap on ebay. Back in September I bought a P3A. The P3P is worth a couple hundred extra and then some just for the clarity of the signal to the tablet. It's much cleaner plus I shoot in 4K now and it really is nice and crisp. My Advanced has been sitting in the box for a month now because I love the Pro. I will be selling it soon because I'm very sold on my new Pro.

Reactions: konidair
If it's your 1st quad & you say it's for fun, videos & pics - I would go the P3A route especially as they are fairly cheap nowadays.

The 2.7k video looks great & also plays on most average pc & laptops - 4k video will struggle even to play (never mind editing) on anything but a high end pc/laptop.

I can't see much difference between 2.7k & 4k and that's watching on a 1080p tv - I suppose you might on a 4k tv..

Last edited:
I'm debating this exact question myself. So far I'm thinking the P3A but I think I will take the advice given earlier in the post and get a cheapo ($50) to learn on before stepping up. Whole lot easier to accept a $50 loss than $500+.

People think being a cheap quad at first is the way to go. I beg to differ. Cheap quads are frustrating to fly. Unless it has GPS and level hold. It's very easy to get discouraged from flying a piece of **** that is hard to control. Just buy a standard used for your "cheap quad".

Reactions: Rypper1
People think being a cheap quad at first is the way to go. I beg to differ. Cheap quads are frustrating to fly. Unless it has GPS and level hold. It's very easy to get discouraged from flying a piece of **** that is hard to control. Just buy a standard used for your "cheap quad".
Good point Ghost. I'll have to look into that.

I have been looking on this forum but problem is that I'm located in Ont, Canada so shipping can get a little high. Not to mention exchange and duties on top of it. Finding one local is hard with minimal options for sale. As you mentioned, buying used is definitely a risk.

thanks

Buy direct from DJI (Store.dji.com) There are no other charges. They bill you in USD..
Will be here in a week. DHL shipping.

There are some Canadian stores. Bestbuy, Staples. Drone Canada. You will pay 13% tax from then.

If you are near US border like me. (20 min. to US customs.) I ship into USP store on US side.
Just use your name and their address for shipping. Follow tracking. Go pick it up. They charge $5 for receiving it.

As of right now, I can't say I would have any use to shoot or watch in 4K (but who knows in the future). If I understand, both the P3A and P3P shoot the same still pictures right? At this point, I'm really thinking I should just stick with a P3 whether A or P, try it our for a bit to see if I'll use it enough and then see if I want to upgrade next year or something, sure by then another version will be out again. After seeing some of the NEW package deal prices some of these places are offering its going to be hard to beat. Its almost unfortunate for how much the prices have dropped and to what people have invested into them. Now if your trying to sell used you have to take a huge hit., almost better off to keep them at some point. Since I've been shopping around, I see so many asking more then what they are new now. Either way, I hope I decide on something ASAP, can't wait (although weather hasn't been good here yet anyway). Thanks guys (and girls)

The first amazon deal looks good.
What I do is price from dji store. As I know that is the final price. No tax. No duty. Then I compare to places such as Amazon, and add the tax on.

Amazon is a good place to buy from.

Looking at DJI's site, the pro is $999US (so roughly $1300cad taxes in and shipped). I guess there is always a chance of paying duties when crossing the border (adding once again our crazy taxes)so Amazon deals might be a safer bet. Looks like the place has perfect ratings too. Another option is to buy one from a place in Alberta which offers free shipping, then the taxes are just 5%

Here is it with a single battery:

DJI Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter w/ 4K Camera, 3-Axis Gimbal & Manufacturer Accessories + Water-Resistant Hardshell Backpack + 7PC Filter Kit (UV-CPL-ND2-400-Lens Hood-Stabilizer) + MORE: Amazon.ca: Camera & Photo

I'm going to give it a few more days (since weather is not looking to get nice here till next week anyway) to find a used package deal somewhere. If not looks like amazon it is.

Thanks

Yannick,

I suggest to look at the B&H Photos site. I got mine last week P3A from them and it was super fast shipping to my door.

I got the P3A for these reasons:

1. I have no 4K TV
2. I don't own a powerful enough PC to edit 4K vids (actually the same goes for 2.7K)
3. I took the 300+ bucks difference and bought extras like battery, case, pops etc.
4. I could have gone for the P3S but I wanted Lightbridge.

One thing that scares me with those Amazon deals is:

1. This guy is not an official re-seller (I saw this somewhere in the comments or reviews)
2. Not fulfilled by Amazon
3. If you have an issue, will DJI support it since he's not an official re-seller? (I saw something the seller wrote to someone to contact DJI)

It's up to you, even with exchange rate and duties (calculated by them at no extra cost to your door), it was cheaper for me to order from B&H rather then ordering from Best Buy and other Canadian retailers. Although those kits seem pretty sweet on Amazon, I was scared for support reasons.

Let me know if you need more info.

Marc

Last edited:
Thanks Marc. Where did you see those comments? Just tries looking and can't seem to find much. There is a phone number to contact them directly so I might try that first to see what they say. What does "not fulfilled by Amazon" mean?

Has anyone on here ever had any experience with buying a Phantom on amazon.ca?

Thanks

I just bought a P3A from some RC shop on Amazon for $650. Been shopping on Amazon for about 17 years. Never had an issue regardless of if it's fulfilled by Amazon or not. So if I'm not happy with my package, I send it back no questions asked. I haven't bought anything from a Best Buy or DJI type online store in forever. Why? You'll always find it cheaper on Amazon. Always.

I have been looking on this forum but problem is that I'm located in Ont, Canada so shipping can get a little high. Not to mention exchange and duties on top of it. Finding one local is hard with minimal options for sale. As you mentioned, buying used is definitely a risk.

thanks
I agree with you, I am also from Ontario ,(Hearst)Canada , nothing come cheap, no service, no hobby shops, no tech support. I bought my drone at Bestbuy on line big mistake. I am looking to buy a spare battery and some carbon prop for my P3 Advance, any suggestion where is a good place in Ontario . Thanks..

I agree with you, I am also from Ontario ,(Hearst)Canada , nothing come cheap, no service, no hobby shops, no tech support. I bought my drone at Bestbuy on line big mistake. I am looking to buy a spare battery and some carbon prop for my P3 Advance, any suggestion where is a good place in Ontario . Thanks..

Can I ask why buying at best buy online was a big mistake? Is it because they are more expensive? Do they ever go on sale there?

Maurice. Just order direct from JDI (store.jdi.com) If the order is $150 USD or more. Free shipping. Comes DHL. Takes about 1 week..
I have new battery and lanyard coming today. No tax or duties either.
They shipped it last Saturday. It will come to my door today.

This is my tracking.

Waybill: *********** Clearance processing complete at ONTARIO SERVICE AREA - CANADA Sign up for shipment notifications Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 08:24 Origin Service Area: SHENZHEN - SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC Destination Service Area: ONTARIO SERVICE AREA, ON - BROCKVILLE - CANADA
Estimated Delivery: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 By End of Day
1 Piece

Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Location Time Piece
22 Clearance processing complete at ONTARIO SERVICE AREA - CANADA ONTARIO SERVICE AREA, ON - CANADA 08:24
1 Piece

21 Arrived at Sort Facility ONTARIO SERVICE AREA - CANADA ONTARIO SERVICE AREA, ON - CANADA 07:07
1 Piece

20 Customs status updated ONTARIO SERVICE AREA, ON - CANADA 06:26
19 Departed Facility in CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 04:01
1 Piece

18 Processed at CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 03:07
1 Piece

17 Clearance processing complete at CINCINNATI HUB - USA CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 02:20
1 Piece

Monday, April 11, 2016
Location Time Piece
16 Customs status updated CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 14:03
15 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 21:28
1 Piece

14 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 21:21
1 Piece

13 Clearance processing complete at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 16:00
1 Piece

12 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 15:19
1 Piece

11 Customs status updated HONG KONG - HONG KONG 13:59
10 Departed Facility in SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 13:38
1 Piece

9 Processed at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 13:37
1 Piece

8 Clearance processing complete at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 13:34
1 Piece

7 Clearance event SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 10:09
1 Piece

Sunday, April 10, 2016
Location Time Piece
6 Clearance event SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 17:47
1 Piece

Saturday, April 09, 2016
Location Time Piece
5 Clearance event SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 18:29
1 Piece

4 Arrived at Sort Facility SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 18:28
1 Piece

3 Departed Facility in SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 18:27
1 Piece

2 Processed at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 17:54
1 Piece

1 Shipment picked up SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 17:21
1 Piece

I have bought a lot of things from China. Never paid anything after the checkout.
That includes my P3A.
Checkout converted from USD to CDN. That is it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj