First purchase, P3a, P3p or P4?

Reaction score
Looking to purchase my first phantom this week. Having never flown or owned one I'm really undecided on which one to get, P3A, P3P or P4. I'm really leaning towards finding a nice used package deal P3a or P3p with extra batteries and case. As much as I like the new features and look of the new P4 nut 100% sold on spending all the extra money then still have to buy the extra's.

Should it really matter if I look for a P3a or P3p or just look for the best package deal? Just looking to shoot video for fun and personal use.

Also, been doing some research but a little confused, does it really matter which model i get W323, W323A, or w323B?

Thanks in advance, can't wait to get one

I'm a P3P owner. If I was new and had no investment in the P3 series I would get the best. That's the P4.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Buying a used one is always a risk as you really don't know its condition. All owners usually say its in great condition. In case you intend to buy a used one, look for one on this forum.

These days we have good deals, see what best fits your budget. Check the price difference between P3A and P3P and decide whats right for you.

Wait at eBay for one of those 399 deal on p3S. After flying for awhile. Get p4 version B when the price drop and use the p3s as a practice/crazy weather-risky place flight

My suggestion

Reactions: Reed L
I have been looking on this forum but problem is that I'm located in Ont, Canada so shipping can get a little high. Not to mention exchange and duties on top of it. Finding one local is hard with minimal options for sale. As you mentioned, buying used is definitely a risk.

thanks

If money is an issue get the advanced in a package deal. It is the best bang for the buck. I would not go for a standard. Lightbridge is amazing.

I don't think the P3P's 4K video is worth the upgrade from a P3A. A lot of computers won't play that high of resolution without jerkiness.

There has been some discussion concerning FPV (goggle flying) with P3As being degraded. I don't have the answer.

Either way, I would highly recommend you buy a cheap $50 drone and learn to fly (and crash) it first. Money well spent.

Sagebrush

Thats the million dollar question! P3P lots of bang for the buck. P4 better build more tech stuff, the more you read the posts the better you will understand the advantages of both. What I recommend for you having not flown a copter before is to get a cheap $50.00+ syma x5cw and learn to fly before you take your phantom out. Phantoms are easy to fly but if you get yourself in a bind and lose some automation you will crash or lose it. O ya you will crash when you learn.

Money is not a huge issue, especially if buying a used package deal. I could buy a P4 but would have to wait on the extra's.

I've flown helicopters a few years back just never flown a quad. I'm pretty confident that I should be able to get used to a phantom fairly easily (taking my time of course).

I guess its just going to come down to what I can find at a descent price whether its a p3a or p3p.

I am also from Ontario, Amazon.ca has some real good combo's on P3P look for ZooomElectronics as a supplier, I believe they are based in Montreal. I have been looking for some time now and they have the best prices I could find in Canadian dollars and free shipping.

Money is not a huge issue, especially if buying a used package deal. I could buy a P4 but would have to wait on the extra's.

I guess its just going to come down to what I can find at a descent price whether its a p3a or p3p.
Kind of sounds like money is part of the equation. If money isn't the driving factor get the P4. It is the best. If you are trying to get the best deal get a package deal P3A or P3P they are the best value. P3A being best value in my opinion.

Well I guess what I'm saying is that my budjet is pretty much the cost of a new P4 so I would have to wait to get a couple extra batteries, case, lenses etc....If I can get a gently used package deal I would probably jump on it. By the looks of it a P3a might be to my best interest. Save some money and if really like them and use it enough, upgrade in a year..

I'm going to be very pleased with my Advanced. I was pleased with my Standard. I'd be pleased with a P4. All that said, the P3A is the best value bar none right now. It's not an argument. So if money is an issue, that your best choice. If it isn't, why are we talking about this? Get a P4.

My buddy, money isn't an issue. He bought his P4, three batteries, and he's waiting on the baddest case, CF Props. He's getting VR. That's when money isn't an issue.

Get a P3A unless you absolutely need 4K video. And you'd know if you do.

Reactions: cyrusthevirus
I have been looking on this forum but problem is that I'm located in Ont, Canada so shipping can get a little high. Not to mention exchange and duties on top of it. Finding one local is hard with minimal options for sale. As you mentioned, buying used is definitely a risk.

thanks
If you don't mind waiting a little bit for your copter, I would recommend MultiRotorHeli (No.1 Source for Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 Series in Canada). They provide excellent service and carry a fair amount of stock. I bought my Phantom 3 Advanced from then and it came in 4 day after I had ordered it.

My thoughts are to recommend a Phantom 3 Advanced unless you need the 4K video. They two models are identical other than the camera upgrade on the Pro.

I'm pretty confident that I should be able to get used to a phantom fairly easily (taking my time of course).
The Phantom is easier to fly than you imagine and you'll have a blast whichever way you go.
Batteries are expensive so factor a few into your calculations.
The P3 Advanced is an outstanding machine and the Pro only adds 4K video if you need that.
Advanced does pretty well with 2.7K video anyway.
P4 looks great but costs plenty more.
Only you can tell if what extra it offers is worth the additional $$ that could be spent on batteries etc.

When the P3 came in, it was so far beyond the P2 series, upgrading was a no brainer.
With the P4 and P3 (Pro & Advanced models) the differences aren't enough for the answer to be so obvious.

If you have a 4K tv or plan on getting one and want the best video capability, P3P or P4 is ganna be the way to go. You can find a great deal, sometimes almost half of what the P3P use to sell for. Future proof yourself, it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. The P3P is great and takes truly amazing video. You would hate to get a P3A only to want better video quality later. I would lobby to say it will hold your interest, I havnt heard anyone, at least in this forum ever say they lost interest and wished they had gotten the P3A. I have however seen MANY say they wished they had gotten the P3P though. Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

P3A, best value. Lately, the price of P3P has dropped and narrowed the gap with the P3A. P3Ps are now only about $100 more than P3A, whereas it used to be a $200 or more difference. You could buy an additional battery for $100. Regarding video quality, I only shoot in 1080 and a 16GB card fills up quickly. As someone else mentioned, shooting in 4K, many computers can't handle it. Good luck.

Reactions: cyrusthevirus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers