First Professional Video Shoot

Reaction score
OK, not asking for pay but it is a video being used by an advertizing company for a promotion. I wanted to do this primarily for the experience. I mostly fly by myself or with family around. Having to provide specific footage for a professional was a challenge I wanted to take. I wanted to see how I did under pressure etc.

Having had an incident with a lake I have been very cautious of flying around water. They needed footage of a river walk through a town. I flew right above the water way between trees depending on FPV as I couldn't have direct LOS where we stood. Then, we flew over a concert venue and I took it up to 360'. (new record) Lastly, down the old town square main street and back.

I flew over water, cars and went higher than ever before. The thing is, with other people involved I felt more empowered that usual and pushed the envelope more than I would have by myself. This was a very positive experience and it looks like I may get more offers from this ad company.

I know compared to others on this forum this is very simple flying etc. but for me it was a milestone. :D
Learning to trust the instruments and not fully depend on LOS isn't easy...

Geo

I was the same way when i started. Its completely different flying for your self and and doing it for others. They want it a certain way and you have to try new things. Iv learned over the years is to go out and push the limits. It a rush when you have people watching. You have to make sure that you have everything right. You will forget what you have learned and only concentrate on what they want. The hardest part for me was to stop looking at the Bird and watch the monitor. I think i have lost hair over stressing the fact i could crash my bird just because i wasn't puting enough saftey and trusting the FPV

Congrats on the video and confidence booster! Keep breaking those personal records.

Geoelectro said:
Here's a part of the video we shot. No sound or editing other than running it through Mercalli stabilization. I have the Rotorpixel 2-axis Gimbal so I get the Yaw effect in the wind.

https://vimeo.com/98823975

Geo

Phantom2Vision - Rotorpixel Gimbal

Not bad but......just some constructive points. You shot 96 seconds of video. You could have got the same point across in 20 seconds or less. You flew forward....too slow, you hovered and flew back. You'll need to edit it way down

Yes, I know. This was a "flight" segment that will be edited and combined with other segments. I'm thinking they should take the forward flight and fade out or cut during the climb. Someone asked to see some video from this shoot so I just posted this segment. I'm not doing the editing, just providing footage. I may take it later and put it together for my own use. Right now, I'm staying away from posting etc. until their presentation is over.

As sharp as you guys are I'm somewhat hesitant to post one of my finished vids. Maybe I'll put up the first one I made. I can always say, hey! It's my first attempt! :D

Geo

Geoelectro said:
OK, not asking for pay but it is a video being used by an advertizing company for a promotion. I wanted to do this primarily for the experience. I mostly fly by myself or with family around. Having to provide specific footage for a professional was a challenge I wanted to take. I wanted to see how I did under pressure etc.

Having had an incident with a lake I have been very cautious of flying around water. They needed footage of a river walk through a town. I flew right above the water way between trees depending on FPV as I couldn't have direct LOS where we stood. Then, we flew over a concert venue and I took it up to 360'. (new record) Lastly, down the old town square main street and back.

I flew over water, cars and went higher than ever before. The thing is, with other people involved I felt more empowered that usual and pushed the envelope more than I would have by myself. This was a very positive experience and it looks like I may get more offers from this ad company.

I know compared to others on this forum this is very simple flying etc. but for me it was a milestone. :D

Geo

Geo congratulations on your milestone and hope you to have more achievements in future.

having said that have you done any post shooting editing on the video? your image quality looks superb, I wonder if there has been any editing involved

mr.goodkat said:
Geoelectro said:

Geo

Geo congratulations on your milestone and hope you to have more achievements in future.

having said that have you done any post shooting editing on the video? your image quality looks superb, I wonder if there has been any editing involved
Only some mild YAW stabilization using Mercalli since I only have a 2-axix gimbal. Thanks for the encouragement!
I'm thinking of remaking my first edited video from the country. For this forum it's way too long (6-minutes) but OK for the intended audience. (family) I would like to edit it down to maybe 2 or 3 minutes and then I'll bring it here.

Geo

Geoelectro said:
Only some mild YAW stabilization using Mercalli since I only have a 2-axix gimbal. Thanks for the encouragement!
I'm thinking of remaking my first edited video from the country. For this forum it's way too long (6-minutes) but OK for the intended audience. (family) I would like to edit it down to maybe 2 or 3 minutes and then I'll bring it here.

Geo

wow, thought you had a 3 axis gimbal. Hmm, now that I look at the video, it looks like the buildings get a bit "wavey". I'm interested in the software. How does it stabilize? Does it crop down the video? Maybe zoom in?

I bought Mercalli back in March when I had the original P2V. That video was very jittery etc. so this was an attempt to help until I got a Gimbal. Unfortunately the more effect to need to apply, the more artifacts it might create. Now, with fairly stable video from the new Gimbal it only takes a light touch for the minor YAW. Mercalli also makes a stand-alone DeFishr which has the FC200 profile so I got that as well. Pretty amazing. Didn't use it on this video.

Its funny I had a videl of an old building in my town and one person made a comment about the curvature of the sides from the fisheye effect. I mentioned I had bought DeFishr and he said not to use it on that video. That made me think that there are likely times when the wide angle is better for an effect.

So much to learn!

http://www.prodad.com/home/products/vid ... ,l-us.html

Geo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31