First Posting,

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Bill and like so many on this group I have come here to learn. I am a vet and most probably older than many of you. I want to fly a drone because of the similarities that it has to my flying some years ago. Although I do not own one yet, I most likely will go with the Phantom 4. Reading everything I could get my hands on, I believe it to be superior to anything else out there and also a bit easier to control, I think?

However, due to some physical problems that I have, I need to ask two questions first. Can someone tell me if the left stick or speed/altitude control must be constantly engaged or pressed during flight or can the throttle be set to a certain speed thus freeing the control for just yaw?

My second question is a matter of programing; again I’m just guessing here. It sounds as though you can use a IPhone or notepad/tablet (anything with a touch screen) with the Phantoms radio controller, my question is how do you see anything with it ? I have had both my laptop and tablet outside as well as my phone, and even standing in the shade, I cannot make out much on the screen. Does the downloaded program assist with this? Most of the video from YouTube shows the pilot viewing the screen and using the touch to fly or follow a target but they do not show how exactly how they are able to view what the camera see’s. Any help or advice, comments would be most welcomed. Also if anyone knows of a YouTube link that offers more on the setup, it would be most welcomed. After all, there’s no sense in having it if you can’t fly it!

Regards to all,

Bill

Welcome to the forum.

To answer some of your questions, yes it is extremely easy to fly. As long as you are in P-GPS mode the Phantom will just hover in place if you are not touching the controls. Apply throttle and it will climb, release the throttle and it will hover at the new altittude.

What the camera sees is what you will see in the DJI GO app which works with either Android or Apple phones and tablets. The settings are pretty easy to figure out such as the max altittude and so on. If you go to DJI's website you will find a number of video tutorials.

Once you get the Phantom there are hundreds of people here to answer any questions you have. I've found most of my questions answered just by searching the forums.

Hi Ken,
It’s nice to meet you. Thank you so much for taking the time to help with my questions. I have a feeling that the Phantom does have some bit of learning curve to it but I’m hoping that this group will help with most of that. I’m in a pretty secluded area. If you were to tell people that you are working with drones, they would probably wonder why you want to fool around with bugs! <g>

Thanks again,

Bill

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4