Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

First post to say Thanks

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Moose408, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Moose408

I've had my Phantom 3 Pro for 4 days now and been flying a lot trying everything out. I'm only 12 flights in, but am feeling more comfortable everyday. Every question or problem I have had I have found the answer here at Phantom Pilots. It's a great resource.

Here's my progression so far.
    Day 0 - charge everything, upgrade to latest firmware, calibrate IMU, etc.

Day 1 - First flights, Beginner mode, 3 short flights in front of my house. Took some photos and video and realized afterwards that the video sucked, way too quick on movements.

Day 2 - Turned off Beginner mode. Three longer flight in my front yard and just flying up and down the street. Practiced flying patterns, boxes, figure eights. Video still sucks.

Day 3 - Go to a field a few blocks away, practice video doing slow pans, flying over the tops of objects and slowing panning down with the camera to keep subject centered. Not bad. Also realize I don't have to record the entire 20 minute flight, do smaller captures.
    Take it up to 400ft and out to the 900ft limit I have set. Keep wanting to see things just beyond the limit, but it is really hard to keep a visual on the drone at that distance.

Day 4 - Read a lot about fly aways and it freaks me out. Practice in Atti mode for an hour.
    Try waypoints, and Point of Interest.
    Spend another hour just practicing flying circles around objects trying to mimic Point of Interest, get close, but more ovals than circles, still have a little jerkiness sometimes, but overall really liking the smoothness of the videos.
    Keep running up against my distant limit, but planning on waiting a few dozen more flights before I increase it.

This has been leading up to flying to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico tomorrow and taking the drone with me. Hope to get some nice beach/ocean shots, maybe some whales if I'm lucky. I am getting more comfortable and confident, which scares me, don't want to get too confident yet. Hoping I come back with some decent video and a drone. :)

Thanks again for all the helpful advice posted by everybody here.

#1 Moose408, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Phantazmk likes this.
  2. Drogon

Sounds like you're on your way to some great shots. Good luck!

3. msinger

Approved Vendor

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! I like your break-in period :)

Moose408 likes this.
  4. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Moose. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Enjoy your new quad and fly safe!

5. alokbhargava

I like to see your patience and systematic working.

Moose408 likes this.
  6. 2nd2non

Now this is worth a sticky for other noobs to follow!

Btw- Search the forum for watchouts while flying in Cabo. Seems it's not ok at some beach spots.