First post flicker from water in premier help needed

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, I have checked the forums but there is lots of info and im confused by it all.

i have a Phantom Pro 3 and am having issues in almost every scenario, todays issue is this strange flickering/banding, not sure what to call it.

It seems to happen when I use Premier. In quicktime player from the raw file, the problem is not there.

I have opened a new project and not set the settings info, simply imported the video and made a new sequence from clip which should match the settings of the original.

I have exported a couple of different ways, info attached and cant get rid of the problem, as a joke i put it into imovie and the problem is not there!!

here are the films on youtube, I have attached jpegs relating to the issue
test 1
test2
imovie

Info for original file
info for premier sequence
info for exports

Many thanks for your help on this

Paul

Attachments

• original info.png
    original info.png
    365.3 KB · Views: 383
  • flick 1 info.png
    flick 1 info.png
    379.5 KB · Views: 360
  • flick 2 info.png
    flick 2 info.png
    373.4 KB · Views: 380
  • premier no change info.png
    premier no change info.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 384
Hi, this is my first post, I have checked the forums but there is lots of info and im confused by it all.

i have a Phantom Pro 3 and am having issues in almost every scenario, todays issue is this strange flickering/banding, not sure what to call it.

It seems to happen when I use Premier. In quicktime player from the raw file, the problem is not there.

I have opened a new project and not set the settings info, simply imported the video and made a new sequence from clip which should match the settings of the original.

I have exported a couple of different ways, info attached and cant get rid of the problem, as a joke i put it into imovie and the problem is not there!!

here are the films on youtube, I have attached jpegs relating to the issue
test 1
test2
imovie

Info for original file
info for premier sequence
info for exports

Many thanks for your help on this

Paul

Photos just will not show flicker which is more then likely caused when flying towards the sun causing shadows as the props past overhead. Using ND filters can block the flicker or tilting the camera down by 5° will help.

Thanks for the reply, Im not concerned with photos and meant to say I am using a graded nd filter.

Its the flickering issue with the water to the right hand side of the shot. Does not look like prop flicker.

Many thanks

Paul

Looking that it happens where there seems to be a bit of texture in the water mid say it's moire that your seeing because the camera has no low pass filter. Moire will happen in certain situations where there is a lot of fine detail. What were your camera settings? Your graduated ND filter will only knock the exposure down on the sky but may not affect the shutter speed enough to blur the details like Jason's suggested.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Stay away from Auto as you have no idea what the settings are. For that scene a ND16 or ND32, whichever will take you to double your frame rate will help. Not much you can do about blowing our the sky except for maybe some post work on it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Totally forgot about shutter speed, the 180 thing where you double to shutter to the frame rate, I shot on 50fps! I loved the graded ND filter would you avoid these and go for a straight ND filter?

And can you explain why it doesnt do it in quicktime or imovie?
Many thanks

Paul

Last edited:
Totally forgot about shutter speed, the 180 thing where you double to shutter to the frame rate, I shot on 50fps! I loved the graded ND filter would you avoid these and go for a straight ND filter?

And can you explain why it doesnt do it in quicktime or imovie?
Many thanks

Paul

Hi, could anyone tell me why the moire or whatever it is does not appear in the raw file, i can upload it if needed?

Many thanks

Paul

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers