First Post Dumb Questions

Reaction score
So, I just bought the P4 and it hasn't even arrived yet....so been spending time trying to educate myself. Great site by the way, hope to learn a lot. Looked for a sticky on "really dumb newb questions" but didn't find it, so please bear with me.

I might add also that I am mostly interested in what I will call "programmed flights", but I do have really wide open spaces away from any civilization to play in. I am very interested in the Litchi app and have signed up and actually created a mission in there.

So here is a start to my questions.
1. I plan on using my Android smartphone first, and then maybe an Ipad. But, not sure how my Ipad functions without a phone connection, and I don't have internet in my flying location. How exactly does the Ipad or Android communicate with the P4 - don't I need cellular phone or internet?

2. Any good Litchi threads going you might refer me to. I have a mission, but the few tutorials I have read spend a lot of time on making a mission and then jumps to "then we just fly it". Ummmmm....how do I get the mission in the P4 and lifted off to head to the way points and come home? I know this is probably really stupid sounding, but if you haven't done it, seems rather important.

Thanks, and I have a bunch more....but until I open the box, I am just itching to figure all this out.

Cheers

These Litchi videos should help get you started:

You don't need a cellular or an Internet connection with your iPad. You will just download the app to your iPad and your iPad will plug into the controller. all of the information displayed on your iPad is displayed through the app and the data is provided by the controller. My iPad mini has cellular capability, but I do not even have a sim card in it.

You don't need a cellular or an Internet connection with your iPad. You will just download the app to your iPad and your iPad will plug into the controller. all of the information displayed on your iPad is displayed through the app and the data is provided by the controller. My iPad mini has cellular capability, but I do not even have a sim card in it.
Ok, thanks, so it must be radio interface I guess? Anyway, I guess that makes it easier. So I downloaded the app to my android phone, can I put it on my Ipad without buying the app again?

The dji go app, which is the native app for your new dji drone is free, and is probably a better place to start.
Yeah I did buy the Litchi app because I intend to use the Litchi mission flight thingy, so I thought I had to????

Yeah I did buy the Litchi app because I intend to use the Litchi mission flight thingy, so I thought I had to????
Litchi is good and adds some extra features but as a new flyer you would be better off using the DJI Go app first and becoming familiar with all the functions of the Phantom and app before getting adventurous in Litchi.
You will need to use the DJI app in any case to register your Phantom with DJI (activation) before it will fly at all.

Litchi is good and adds some extra features but as a new flyer you would be better off using the DJI Go app first and becoming familiar with all the functions of the Phantom and app before getting adventurous in Litchi.
You will need to use the DJI app in any case to register your Phantom with DJI (activation) before it will fly at all.

Thanks, that is good to know. So, can I fly a Litchi Mission from DJI Go app? Or can I only do that through the Litchi app?

Thanks much for all the responses, very nice and helpful. Can't wait to get this thing!

What size SD card do you guys recommend? And...if you fly a "typical" mission, say 8 minutes in length with high res settings, what is the rough file size created?

64 GB is the largest card the P4 can use. You can buy one that is designed for extreme service without going all the way to a Pro card. A 64 GB Ultra micro sd can be bought for about $40. Your average one-flight video can easily be in the 2 to 2.5 GB range. I bought a 3 TB external drive to store them on. You can find one for around $130-perhaps less.

Greetings
I am new just as you are. I also got Litchi.
My drone came with a 16gb card and I have used that as well as a standard older 8gb card. Both worked just fine at the default resolution and transmission settings.
I did what Meta4 said and flew around my yard and in the house using dji go. There is a simulator in the dji go app that reacts pretty closely to the actual drone. There are you tube videos which help understanding both apps, and Litchi also offers free flight and photography courses through www.udemy.com which I found extremely helpful. You can pay for the more advanced classes, but what He gives away for free is way more than you need to get flying with confidence
( Phantom Filmschool sample course - Udemy )
This is the instructor: Laurence Seberini ( Laurence Seberini | Aerial videographer| Udemy ) He is very easy to follow and imho, an great instructor. I plan on paying for the continuation classes
I found these threads (actually continuation of the same one) great for me as a newbie:

$1500 just flew away and kept going
Oh... The things I do to retrieve my crashed drone.

Ive used litchi to plan and implement simple flights following Seberini and a user here "Dirty Bird"

I have upgraded a couple things since I got my drone:
1. started with an android phone, LG G-Vista, which works just fine, but for a bigger screen I now use Asus ZenPad 10 Z300. It barely fits the remote control holder.
2. I got a second battery
Hope this helps,
Dave

Greetings
I am new just as you are. I also got Litchi.
My drone came with a 16gb card and I have used that as well as a standard older 8gb card. Both worked just fine at the default resolution and transmission settings.
I did what Meta4 said and flew around my yard and in the house using dji go. There is a simulator in the dji go app that reacts pretty closely to the actual drone. There are you tube videos which help understanding both apps, and Litchi also offers free flight and photography courses through www.udemy.com which I found extremely helpful. You can pay for the more advanced classes, but what He gives away for free is way more than you need to get flying with confidence
( Phantom Filmschool sample course - Udemy )
This is the instructor: Laurence Seberini ( Laurence Seberini | Aerial videographer| Udemy ) He is very easy to follow and imho, an great instructor. I plan on paying for the continuation classes
I found these threads (actually continuation of the same one) great for me as a newbie:

$1500 just flew away and kept going
Oh... The things I do to retrieve my crashed drone.

Ive used litchi to plan and implement simple flights following Seberini and a user here "Dirty Bird"

I have upgraded a couple things since I got my drone:
1. started with an android phone, LG G-Vista, which works just fine, but for a bigger screen I now use Asus ZenPad 10 Z300. It barely fits the remote control holder.
2. I got a second battery
Hope this helps,
Dave

Thanks, and yes I am listening to the free lecture from Phantom Film - I really like the way he presents stuff, no drama and to the point. I am suppose to get the thing today, so looking forward to this weekend.

Just thought I would chime in after first flight.....and first impressions for whatever that may be worth.

I don't want to be a whiner, so I will start on a positive note - this is a lot of technology packed into a small box. I guess I am kinda old, but for those of us who grew up with toys you had to push around by hand, this is stunning to say the least. I did watch several tutorials, plus the advice I got on this site, etc., I would say I was relatively ready to fly, and my first simple lift off and back and forth etc., in probably a 100 foot radius went quite well.

My issue is mostly with the difficulty in seeing the Ipad screen - it was full sun and most of the time I didn't have a clue what I was looking at, but since I was mostly interested in just flying around for a bit, not a big issue. But I will just say I am probably going to lean heavily on planned missions because of this, especially in terms of camera control.

Speaking of camera control, I was pretty sure I ran across a setting that said essentially "automatically record" so I didn't bother to push the record button, and of course I got nothing, which was pretty disappointing. Pretty dumb I know, but still.....

Anyway, fun time and I am really looking forward to figuring this thing out some more and mostly interested in Litchi missions since I can't see the screen. Any comments on this (is it just me???) or something else I could do? Also, is there any way to program photo stills, for example I would like to program a flight for a particular interest that are just -90 degree vertical shots about every 3 seconds along a route?

Thanks!

@LJCF, we were all newbies at this hobby at one time or another. I agree that the technology is a lot to get used to at first, but you'll get there. I think most of us learn something new every time we fly, and that's a good thing. You may want to check out msinger's site Phantomhelp.com. It has boatloads of information to reference, including what sun/glare shields are available to make screen views better. Just be sure to check the correct Phantom you have in the selection area at the top of the site. And, msinger is one of us, so you'll see his input frequently on the Forum. Happy Flying!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

@LJCF, we were all newbies at this hobby at one time or another. I agree that the technology is a lot to get used to at first, but you'll get there. I think most of us learn something new every time we fly, and that's a good thing. You may want to check out msinger's site Phantomhelp.com. It has boatloads of information to reference, including what sun/glare shields are available to make screen views better. Just be sure to check the correct Phantom you have in the selection area at the top of the site. And, msinger is one of us, so you'll see his input frequently on the Forum. Happy Flying!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks, that is a good website reference. Finally got a flight with video and ran during overcast which helped tremendously to see what was going on. Defintely need to find (or make) a sunshield of some kind.

I am even more enamored with Litchi after flying a couple missions. Is there a Litchi specific forum or thread on this site - I didn't see it if there is?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20