First post and a question!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am an underwater photographer, and just purchased a P2 and H3-3D. I have it all assembled, updated all the firmware, and have flown it. I am taking it to Grand Cayman next month to shoot over water video of a dive company for a promo.

I am incredibly excited about doing this, and it will be A LOT of fun.

I am certainly NOT a Captain of the obvious, so feel free to poke fun at my question, I have thick skin.

When I power up the system, and gimble initializes, and the Hero points straight down. The gimble does work keep the hero steady.

How do I get the Hero to point forward?

Can I change the angle the Hero points in flight?

Thanks in advance, I am happy for any feedback, have a great weekend?

There is a lever on the bottom of the controller that changes the tilt of the gimbal. This should be in the instructions.

bstuke said:
Hello everyone,

I am an underwater photographer, and just purchased a P2 and H3-3D. I have it all assembled, updated all the firmware, and have flown it. I am taking it to Grand Cayman next month to shoot over water video of a dive company for a promo.

I am incredibly excited about doing this, and it will be A LOT of fun.

I am certainly NOT a Captain of the obvious, so feel free to poke fun at my question, I have thick skin.

When I power up the system, and gimble initializes, and the Hero points straight down. The gimble does work keep the hero steady.

How do I get the Hero to point forward?

Can I change the angle the Hero points in flight?

Thanks in advance, I am happy for any feedback, have a great weekend?

Got it! I see that on page 15 now.

It doesn't seem to work though. I'll look through and see if I can find some troubleshooting info.

Thanks!

OK got it.

I:
Powered up camera in the gimble
Powered up the P2
Powered up the controller
Gimble initialized and camera pointed down
put camera in record
Tried the gimble axis, nothing
Put the P2 in idle
Put the P2 in flight
Tried the gimble, nothing.

I did not use the interference board, I will try that next.

Gimble settings in the app are 50, 0, 0.

I put the interference board in but no change. Anyone have any thoughts?

There has been a lot of posts regarding your problem. It seems as though that lever on the bottom of your controller has a shaft that is suppose to push into slots on a potentiometer and it sometimes doesn't center or go down for enough to turn the pot. Some people have had success with just pushing down towards the bottom of the case as they rotate the arm. It's a poor design but it can work. I took my controller apart and lined up the slots on the top of the pot to the shaft that came down from the arm you use to do the tilt function. I would find some threads that go into a lot more detail about the tilt problem. There is also some radio controller calibrations you can fool with. Good luck.

Use the Phantom Assistant and look at X1 when you move the lever on the back. If it doesn't move, it could be an issue with the controller and you may need to adjust the lever to get it to work. If it does move, then you should calibrate X1 and then try again. In fact, make sure you have calibrated all of your controls.

Awesome stuff thank you! My single Captain Obvious brain cell sprung into action and I was thinking that the movement of that lever had no resistance at all.

I will go searching and see what I come up with.

The lever on mine also had no tension. I have since switched to a different controller.

I'm not saying you are doing this, but be careful not to fly before you are ready and have gone through the instructions and setup assistant. You would not be the first to lose or damage a bird from lack of thoroughness - don't be another one.

bstuke said:
Awesome stuff thank you! My single Captain Obvious brain cell sprung into action and I was thinking that the movement of that lever had no resistance at all.

I will go searching and see what I come up with.

bstuke said:
OK got it.

I:
Powered up camera in the gimble
Powered up the P2
Powered up the controller
Gimble initialized and camera pointed down
put camera in record
Put the P2 in idle
Put the P2 in flight
Tried the gimble, nothing.

Let me correct you on another issue:
A) power up camera
b) POWER UP CONTROLLER before powering up P2
c) power up P2

perform this start up procedure this way not P2 first

Re: Gimbal positioning - Go to assistant software and make sure gimbal is "on" - then calibrate x1 (gimbal control) slowly

EMCSQUAR said:
A) power up camera
c) power up P2

Re: Gimbal positioning - Go to assistant software and make sure gimbal is "on" - then calibrate x1 (gimbal control) slowly

Thanks for the feedback, noted.

The potentiometer is the problem. It is not making good contact with the lever, and is actually buggered up pretty good. I'll see if DJI has a fix. If not I will try to modify it. Darn thing is brand new, it should work properly after spending a grand!

Welcome to the world of DJI.

bstuke said:
EMCSQUAR said:
A) power up camera
c) power up P2

Thanks for the feedback, noted.

The potentiometer is the problem. It is not making good contact with the lever, and is actually buggered up pretty good. I'll see if DJI has a fix. If not I will try to modify it. Darn thing is brand new, it should work properly after spending a grand!

I'm in the same boat as you. Week old and lever won't seat in correctly. I've seen a few fixes...ie raise inside board and put cardboard to raise it up, or extend the piece so it makes contact.

Currently as of now I just squeeze down then move the lever. Good luck!

lardaz95 said:
Just for your information, your not allowed to fly your phantom at the Grand Canyon.
Good thing I am going to Grand Cayman.

Before trying to modify your controller I would try and get your dealer to replace or have DJI replace it.
There are a couple of DJI reps that hang out on the this forum:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2048910&pp=100&page=112
His name is Tahoe Ed and the post is #11135

Their job is to facilitate problems users are having among other things.
You could contact them to help also.

Tom

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20