First photos/video with P4-Running in the Desert

Reaction score
DJI_0001%20-%20Version%202_zps0sbv4agk.jpg

Hi all,

Just had my P4 in the air for the first time, decided to take it along with me for some running in the desert. The P4 strikes me as fairly intuitive and easy to fly out of the box. I had some difficulty getting ActiveTrack to lock on unless the aircraft was within 20 ft of me, which was somewhat disappointing although the poor light may have been partially to blame. Also, I discovered some of the other limitations of ActiveTrack such as the inability to track a moving object from the side (only directly in front or behind the subject of interest) and the inability to orbit around the subject. I am hoping that these functions may be added in a subsequent software update as they would open up many more creative possibilities.

Overall, a successful first flight and I have to say that this is a wonderful aerial photography/videography platform.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• DJI_0001 - Version 2.jpg
    DJI_0001 - Version 2.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 425
I'm no expert on this, but from what I've read I, suspect the problem you're having with Active Track maybe a combination of the poor light, and the fact that the clothing you're wearing tends to blend with the background colours. Also, you should be able to orbit a moving subject by moving the right stick to one side or the other once you're locked on and following.

Nice pic. :)

Your main problem appears to be lack of ambient light for Active Tracking.

Your main problem appears to be lack of ambient light for Active Tracking.
Agreed. Here's what the Phantom 4 manual says about the lighting when using ActiveTrack:

P4.png

Per Wikipedia, 400 lux is sunrise/sunset on a clear day. It appears the sun had already set in the above video, so it was most likely < 300 lux at that time.

Lux.png

Agreed. Here's what the Phantom 4 manual says about the lighting when using ActiveTrack:

View attachment 47854

Per Wikipedia, 400 lux is sunrise/sunset on a clear day. It appears the sun had already set in the above video, so it was most likely < 300 lux at that time.

View attachment 47855
Good point, thanks for attaching that graph. I suspect that the dim lighting was a large part of the issue. Although I tried using ActiveTrack again today and as soon as I walked through the shade of a palm tree ActiveTrack lost me again. It's a nice idea, but it's certainly got its limitations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers