First Phantom 4 flight - what happened?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I should really introduce myself as this pretty much my first post here, but can I get some help before the formalities? I bought a second hand P4 today - upgrading from the P3A. Just managed to get a flight in before the sun set and the camera appeared to get stuck facing the leg. I panicked and RTH. It felt like the bird was unstable but as I reflect, I think this may just be that FPV was messed up.

Video:
forgive the quality but the video files seems to be corrupted (hoping this is just a bad SD card).

Can anyone advise on what happened? Have I been ripped off, or is this something I can probably fix through IMU and gimbal calibrations? Not the first flight I was hoping for :(

Thanks for any advice

Hi all,

I should really introduce myself as this pretty much my first post here, but can I get some help before the formalities? I bought a second hand P4 today - upgrading from the P3A. Just managed to get a flight in before the sun set and the camera appeared to get stuck facing the leg. I panicked and RTH. It felt like the bird was unstable but as I reflect, I think this may just be that FPV was messed up.

Video:
forgive the quality but the video files seems to be corrupted (hoping this is just a bad SD card).

Can anyone advise on what happened? Have I been ripped off, or is this something I can probably fix through IMU and gimbal calibrations? Not the first flight I was hoping for :(

Thanks for any advice

The camera getting stuck in one place sounds to me like a physical disturbance. That happened to me after a crash. I had to unscrew something. And for the picture quality I think it might need to be adjusted to 4K on the camera settings.

As for the rip off part. I avoid buying any electronic device as a second hand.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

FPV was not in, it just appears to be on, because the camera is in a fixed position. Just realised I left out a vital piece of info. I tried to calibrate the gimbal mid-air to level out the horizon (as I have done countless times with my P3A). It got to 72% and froze, so I exited Go and reopened and then went on my way. Could a miscalibrated gimbal have caused it to jam like that????

Hi all,

Video:

Thanks for any advice
That gimbal is broken. Even if I tried, I couldn't get my p4 to look at the leg, esp like that. Sorry man, you got ripped. But, try the calibrations just to be sure. Also, try in follow mode vs fpv mode...

Sent from my SM-G935T using PhantomPilots mobile app

FPV was not in, it just appears to be on, because the camera is in a fixed position. Just realised I left out a vital piece of info. I tried to calibrate the gimbal mid-air to level out the horizon (as I have done countless times with my P3A). It got to 72% and froze, so I exited Go and reopened and then went on my way. Could a miscalibrated gimbal have caused it to jam like that????
I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever been able to calibrate in mid flight. Could be confusing g it with imu calib though...

Sent from my SM-G935T using PhantomPilots mobile app

You're to calibrate the gimbal on a flat surface. Was the IMU and compass also calibrated prior? How did it fly on your test flight before purchase?

It flew well in test flight but it was only a short test. I haven't calibrated the IMU yet, but after another calibration of the gimbal - all seems well. Flew for a good 2 hours today and couldn't replicate the problem,

The only issue I seem to have now is it's propensity to tip over at landing. My P3A could land anywhere, anytime - solid as a rock. I have tipped this thing every time I've landed it (on softish surfaces thankfully). It's almost like it gives itself a little throttle while I'm in the hard down position - just kicks it up slightly. Anyone know of this issue/any fixes?

Thanks,

Reactions: Dave Adams
It flew well in test flight but it was only a short test. I haven't calibrated the IMU yet, but after another calibration of the gimbal - all seems well. Flew for a good 2 hours today and couldn't replicate the problem,

The only issue I seem to have now is it's propensity to tip over at landing. My P3A could land anywhere, anytime - solid as a rock. I have tipped this thing every time I've landed it (on softish surfaces thankfully). It's almost like it gives itself a little throttle while I'm in the hard down position - just kicks it up slightly. Anyone know of this issue/any fixes?

Thanks,

Hand catch is where its at lol.

Hand catch is where its at lol.
Apparently so. I just can't believe that the P4 is harder to land manually than the P3A/P3P. It literally seems to thrust off the ground and tip over while Im trying to cut to motor. Has nobody else experienced this. If the P4 was your first bird, I could understand why you might think this is normal - but it really was much much easier to safely land the P3A

Reactions: MacCool
My Phantom 4 on RTH plops down with authority. Likewise landing it with me on the controls. I bring it down fast to about 3 feet, then slow it down, but once started on that last three feet I don't let up on the stick.

Hand catching it works, I've just never found it that useful.

Thanks MacCool. You think it might be the vision positioning system causing some feedback from the ground and I'm just not used to it? Can anyone with experience of both the P3 and the P4 confirm that the landing properties make the newer model MORE difficult to guide in to safe and controlled manual landing?

I'll try a hard down from 3ft as soon as the weather lets up and see if it seems safer.

Try landing it in ATTI mode. See if it might be related to the drone trying to hold a position via GPS as it lands. ATTI will take GPS out of the equation.

If you're sure that it's the Phantom and not your landing technique, then I think I'd start over with the setup process...reinstall the current firmware, calibrate the controller sticks, calibrate the IMUs, and calibrate the Vision Positioning System.

Last edited:
Ease off the stick just before landing and let hover a few inches above ground then land slow. This lets the ac get its positioning. I hand catch mostly (mainly because of the same thing, tipping over on every landing) but have been landing manual lately and noticed that easing off just before landing then slowly lowering it I have not tipped it over. Watch it in the air. Descend as if you were landing then let go of stick. The ac will "adjust" its height up or down slightly.

I haven't tried a few inches from the ground but I've tried a few feet. I came to a dead stop and then paying very close attention I pulled down in a straight smooth landing. Completely level surface and zero wind. The P4 skidded a good 8 inches forward before the motors cuts out! I'm going to have to send this in for repair. I simply can't believe this is normal behaviour !!!! The scope of the problem isn't apparent from the drone footage due to the gimbal, but on my next flight I'm going to film it from my SLR camera. Also going to try my p3a controller. I'm a competent pilot and I'm literally afraid to land this drone! :(

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj