First person control

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the dji world, so new in fact that ups is bringing my machine tomorrow am. That said, I'm seeking experienced advice on what equipment one would buy in order to control the drone first person. I'm using the unit for inspecting roofs that cannot safely be walked on and first person control would make this little monster a game changer. Any thoughts

it's good out of the box but if it's for inspections I'd say use the biggest and brightest tablet that you can with it. and a nice stable tripod to put it on.

it's good out of the box but if it's for inspections I'd say use the biggest and brightest tablet that you can with it. and a nice stable tripod to put it on.

I thought they didn't stream without some sort of ground station? Sorry for the ignorance but looking at accessories on amazon was a very confusing hour for me and this post was the frustrated result.

just your tablet or phone will get a sun shield, it will connect to device via cable on p3 pro and advance on p3 standard an 4k so p2 via wifi, i will do a slow pass thru it on video then use your multiple shots on camera settings to pic the bad areas

Hello, I'm new to the dji world, so new in fact that ups is bringing my machine tomorrow am.

Iron,

I've used 5-6 different FPV devices on my P3Pro. The two I use the most are the Nvidia Shield and the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (8"). Both have great processing power with no lag in your video. As far as brightness goes, the S2 blows everything else I've used away. That could end being quite important to you in that line of work. JMHO.

Jerry

Thanks a ton!
You're welcome. Just remember what was said earlier about a bright screen. Many tablets become an instant mirror when you walk outside. For your stated purpose, once you decide on a tablet you like you should probably research sun shades as well. There are probably more than 100 threads here about "which tablet is best" so you should have plenty to read to help you decide. Good luck.

Iron,

I've used 5-6 different FPV devices on my P3Pro. The two I use the most are the Nvidia Shield and the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (8"). Both have great processing power with no lag in your video. As far as brightness goes, the S2 blows everything else I've used away. That could end being quite important to you in that line of work. JMHO.

Jerry

Just picked up the the tab a 9.7". Hopefully that will do the trick!

Hello, I'm new to the dji world, so new in fact that ups is bringing my machine tomorrow am.

Iron,

Another thought, I'm not a big fan of prop guards but they may be worth having in this line of work. I've used my bird to inspect the roof's and eaves of the buildings on my property and sometimes you get pretty close to the structure. I could see where they might benefit you in tight spaces. The snap-on ones work pretty well, just be extremely careful with using the proper screws and tools when installing them.

Jerry

Reactions: Oso
Prop guards for your specific application might be a decent idea. Get the ones that can be quickly removed so when you aren't flying in close proximity to objects you can take them off. I recommend not using them unless you need them. Won't rehash that argument here.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Reactions: rene van der meer
Iron,

Another thought, I'm not a big fan of prop guards but they may be worth having in this line of work. I've used my bird to inspect the roof's and eaves of the buildings on my property and sometimes you get pretty close to the structure. I could see where they might benefit you in tight spaces. The snap-on ones work pretty well, just be extremely careful with using the proper screws and tools when installing them.

Jerry

Great idea! Picking some up.

Not going to preach, as there are numerous threads on this....but this sounds like a commercial operation. Are you aware of the FAA requirements on getting what's called a 333 exemption? And having a fully licensed pilot fly your drone when used for commercial use? If not, I would search for 333 and do a lot of reading. Many operations choose to not get this, but it is the law at this time. The regs are currently under review and will probably be modified later this year, but that's up to the FAA.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Prop guards for your specific application might be a decent idea. Get the ones that can be quickly removed so when you aren't flying in close proximity to objects you can take them off. I recommend not using them unless you need them. Won't rehash that argument here.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2
Prop guards can prevent accidents, but you can still hit hanging items like branches. I almost lost my AC once touching a tree.
I am not sure what happens to the AC if you hit something hard like a chimney or roof. It might react very violently and get out of control.

I am not sure what happens to the AC if you hit something hard like a chimney or roof. It might react very violently and get out of control.

Rene,

In a situation like Iron is describing, he'll be flying slow, especially while inspecting structures like you mentioned, a chimney. A bump into the chimney with prop guards will most likely just bump him away from the chimney, a bump without prop guards will most likely take the bird down. IMHO, prop guards do help quite a bit when flying very close to structures.

Jerry

Not going to preach, as there are numerous threads on this....but this sounds like a commercial operation. Are you aware of the FAA requirements on getting what's called a 333 exemption? And having a fully licensed pilot fly your drone when used for commercial use? If not, I would search for 333 and do a lot of reading. Many operations choose to not get this, but it is the law at this time. The regs are currently under review and will probably be modified later this year, but that's up to the FAA.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thanks for the heads up. I was aware that there were some "sticky" FAA rules on the use of drones commercially but hadn't dove in completely. After spending some time today doing research, it looks like I can use the drone as long as I don't sell the product, without having to obtain a pilots license as well as the 333 exemption. It would be walking in a very gray area but according to a friend who does professional video and utilizes multiple UA's locally, it doesn't seem like the authorities here are keen on enforcing oddball FAA guidelines/laws when nobody is actually in danger. I think they'd rather tackle crack heads. That said, the FAA is supposedly putting together an flight operator certificate that will replace the need to be a full blown pilot in order to operate. Once/if that is in place I'll have no problem utilizing the drone to the fullest. Hopefully sooner than later. In the meantime I will be drafting a letter (I found a great template) to send to the FAA to seek exemption. Some say it takes up to 6 months to get a response though.
As a side note, I did contact a company that will petition the FAA for you and claims to have a representative at the FAA who handles their filings exclusively. The killer though is the $1500 they want for the service. Nope.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20