First P3P fall experience

Have you had a drop yet?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters
Reaction score
After a few flghts I felt safe to remove the propeller guards, mostly because I was thinking of flight high altitudes, however I decided to fligh on my yard. I was on atti mode, didn't realize the wind was interfering and moved my phantom towards my neighboor's house, at this point I panic and didn't know what direction to give on RC. The fall was only from a meter and a half hight, little loud.
My heart stopped, my instinct was shut off the remote in hopes it would stop the propellers. It did stop, but I'm not sure if that was the reason.
Picked it up, all dirty from the flower bed with the tip of a propeller broken. When I turned it back on it had a message in red saying something like motor obstructed. I panicked even more, anxious to make it run again.
It started fine, checked the camera, it was fine with just a little dirt around it.
Then I brought it in, removed all the propellers, ran the engines on full power for a little, replaced propellers and it seems to be working just fine.
Lesson learned, until I know what I'm doing I'm not removing the propeller guards again.

Ps.: I know how to turn off the Phantom and I do know how to use atti mode, it was a gust of wind that caught me off guard, like I said It was a moment of panic and I know that should not happen.
I believe the guards would've saved since it could've bounced back, it was not going fast at all. It was not even five seconds when I was able to grab the phantom back.

My biggest question is: Does the phantom turn off engine if it senses the propellers stuck?

I appreciate constructive comments, like I said, lesson learned. Thank you for all advices.
Share your story, that's the main idea of this thread.

Last edited:
So you dont know how to turn the engines off ?? That's scary

Prop guards would not have helped in your panic state of mind. In fact you would have had broken prop guard and prop any how.

Why would you be flying in atti mode when you dont even know how to shut down the motors. Inexperience is no excuse, for not knowing the basics about ur craft that ur flying.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why would you be flying in atti mode when you dont even know how to shut down the motors. Inexperience is no excuse, for not knowing the basics about ur craft that ur flying.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I must have missed the part where the OP states he didn't know how to turn the motors off, sounds like he fumbled the controls when he panicked to move the copter away from neighbors house is what I read?

I must have missed the part where the OP states he didn't know how to turn the motors off, sounds like he fumbled the controls when he panicked to move the copter away from neighbors house is what I read?
He says he turned the RC controller off in hopes it would turn the rotors off. If the rotors stopped when you turned the controller off, the thing would just plummet out of the sky when it looses signal, so yes, you missed it.

First, dont fly in atti mode until you have orientation and especially reverse orientation down.. only use GPS mode. I'm an experienced pilot and can do it easily but I dont like flying in atti mode unless no GPS is available. Second, read ALL the documentation that came with the phantom before flying, all the fine print, the boring parts, etc.. It contains little things (like how to shut down motors) that you need to know before you fly. Third, as many on here preach, buy a $50 quad to practice and learn orientation on, everyone likes the Syma X5c but there are many kinds available. I dont want to sound like I'm talking down to you, but there are a good many mistakes that were made here.. Do it right and you will have many hours of immense enjoyment from the Phantom, cut corners and do it wrong and you have only expense and misery.. Good luck and happy flying

After a few flghts I felt safe to remove the propeller guards, mostly because I was thinking of flight high altitudes, however I decided to fligh on my yard. I was on atti mode, didn't realize the wind was interfering and moved my phantom towards my neighboor's house, at this point I panic and didn't know what direction to give on RC. The fall was only from a meter and a half hight, little loud.
My heart stopped, my instinct was shut off the remote in hopes it would stop the propellers. It did stop, but I'm not sure if that was the reason.
Picked it up, all dirty from the flower bed with the tip of a black propeller broken. When I turned it back on it had a message in red saying something like motor obstructed. I panicked even more, anxious to make it run again.
It started fine, checked the camera, it was fine with just a little dirt around it.
Then I brought it in, removed all the propellers, ran the engines on full power for a little, replaced propellers and it seems to be working just fine.
Lesson learned, until I know what I'm doing I'm not removing the propeller guards again.

First off Happy New Year! Sorry about your incident but unfortunately this has nothing to do with removing the propeller guards and more with you not reading up on your basics. You got lucky that you didn't destroy your camera. Do you really think your propeller guards would have saved your camera?

He says he turned the RC controller off in hopes it would turn the rotors off. If the rotors stopped when you turned the controller off, the thing would just plummet out of the sky when it looses signal, so yes, you missed it.

I still don't read where he states he "turned off the RC controller" I'm hearing music from the twilight zone in my head now?

I still don't read where he states he "turned off the RC controller" I'm hearing music from the twilight zone in my head now?
The OP said, "My heart stopped, my instinct was shut off the remote in hopes it would stop the propellers."

One more thing ..you stated ....one of the propellers was broken and you started the motors again ?? Then you went inside and removed and replaced the broken prop.....NEVER EVER start the motors with a damaged propeller
Read the manual, ask questions .. Be safe ...

After a few flghts I felt safe to remove the propeller guards, mostly because I was thinking of flight high altitudes, however I decided to fligh on my yard. I was on atti mode, didn't realize the wind was interfering and moved my phantom towards my neighboor's house, at this point I panic and didn't know what direction to give on RC

Well, obviously from making these statements you're gonna get a lot of judgeyness about what you've done here... and given the circumstances, deservedly so.

Prop guards do nothing to restrict your ability to go up to the FAA guideline maximum of 400 feet AGL (assuming you are in the USA)... I had flown MANY times up to this altitude with prop guards installed.. of greater concern to me is that you were thinking about flying "high altitudes" without really being prepared to operate your craft and be a responsible pilot... this is the type of behavior that spawns all those news reports and causes cities/towns to produce anti-drone specific legislation...

Prepare yourself... you're gonna get a ration of flaming for demonstrating poor choices and not being a responsible pilot.

Happy new year to you!
The propeller guards in my opinion would've saved the aircraft from crashing, therefore protecting the camera and everything else.
It helps when flying close to walls.
Thank you for your comment.

Hello there.
When I said high altitude I was referring above small trees in my backyard, like it shows I am still reading and practicing and not taking risks since I am a beginner.

Hello there.

Thank you for your response, I only started because it was a very small piece, I didn't try to fly, just trying to see if engine was working alright.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    885.9 KB · Views: 538
you know I'm kind of new at this too I have never crashed but the question was does the motors stop if a prop breaks and I never saw a answer to the question. just because there are new people don't mean they don't know how too fly. lot of people ask veterans so the can learn before it happens to then I'm in a field of work where it takes older people to teach younger one how to do a job safe should be the same here with older phantom pilots remember you started some where too.

I guess the so called "easy to fly" logic of modern quadcopters has brought in lots of numb's, the high purchase price sure didn't stop any !
newbie.jpg

Answer: No the motors don't stop if a prop breaks,,,,read your manual and get aquainted with the CRC motion

Last edited:
well if your looking for some adivice.... when new to flying your quad.... you should seek out a very large clear area to practice your skills.... learn how to fly in each mode... learn how to fly figure 8 patterns until you are good at it... don't take risks that are not productive... it will get easier and easier for you... your objective is to get proficent with operating your quad.. not crashing and causing damage ( money spent $$$) and have some fun with your quad... you'll get there but take your time or it will cost you money and frustration... again... take your time and reduce your risks... flying risky is asking for trouble... like flying under tree's... getting too close to objects, including yourself... and no... if you stuff a prop the motor will not shut off unless one of the components burns out... like a motor or esc.... in a grand crash they will self destruct right before your eyes...
if you have a great crash and can get to it remove the battery as best and as fast as you can without getting yourself hurt...
again... take your time and enjoy your quad....

Reactions: ObiDon
dixter's advice to " learn how to fly figure 8 patterns until you are good at it.." is spot on. I have been teaching people to fly RC airplanes for over 30 years. Nothing is better in erasing disorientation issues than flying figure 8's. As you get better and better at it start to rotate the figure 8 as it is oriented to where you are standing. Then reverse directions every couple of cycles. Once you can do this without thinking start to add speed. After some time you won't even think about orientation, and flying we be as natural as riding a bike.

Reactions: ObiDon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31