First no video downlink, now P3P fails repeated update attempts. Help!

My Phantom 3 has not updated properly for a good couple of firmware versions but I have put it down to using the beta SDK back in the summer for a beta test. The app reports the correct verion and it installs the update but constantly tries to install the update from that point onwards so I have to remove the file from the SD card when done, otherwise when I turn it on it tries to install the same update over and over again.

But on the recent upgrade to 1.5.3 I completely lost video link even with the channel hack. I resolved it by relinking the RC, have you tried that?

I tried all the steps above and no change in my situation. One interesting thing did occur when I formatted the card using the RC. It generated a hidden MISC directory on the SD card. In that directory was a LOG dir and inside that was a .txt file that had additional info. I don't know what to make of that file, but I've attached it below for your perusal.

I'm also attaching a screen shot of the root directory of the SD card after formatting on the aircraft. There are several hidden files; could they possibly be interfering with the installation? Is this all because I'm using a MAC? This is driving me crazy!

Screen-Shot-2015-12-15-at-9.46.59-AM.jpg

Attachments

• P3X_FW_LOG_AB.txt
    26.6 KB · Views: 330
How did you get that level of detail mine will just say successful or failed?
Normally you only get the P3X_FW_RESULT_AB.txt file, which simply says success or fail. The file I am indicating is a log file, P3X_FW_LOG_AB.txt, which is inside the hidden MISC directory. You have to set your computer to show "hidden" files to see it.

Reactions: sdharris
Try this. Format your SD card in your PC using usb2.0 ports and not 3.0.
Do not use fast format. Leave the allocation file size alone - do not select default.
Copy the bin file to the root, and try upgrading again

Normally you only get the P3X_FW_RESULT_AB.txt file, which simply says success or fail. The file I am indicating is a log file, P3X_FW_LOG_AB.txt, which is inside the hidden MISC directory. You have to set your computer to show "hidden" files to see it.
Well, you can stop with all the formatting stuff. It's not a SD card or FW zip issue. Your updates are failing because it's not detecting a couple pieces of hardware. You'll notice in your log_ab, [15 00] and [08 00] are not detected. I don't know what hardware it is, some think it's the camera and gimbal.

Looks like it's going to need to go to DJI for repair. See this thread.
Professional - help FW update fails every time. | DJI Phantom Forum

Sorry Kevin

Is it possible that you have an Advanced camera installed instead of the Pro??
DJI Forum|[00042483][08 00][00] device not detected.

What I gather from crashed P3A and P3P's is that the P3 body is universal. What this means is that the firmware only differentiated by the camera. Try this. Maybe disconnect the camera and do the update and see if you get the same error on the text file. Another is try and update the firmware with an the advanced firmware.

Last edited:
When my phantom first arrived I got no video until I updated the transmitter firmware through the DJI app. After the update it beeped constantly until I recalibrated the sticks using the DJI app....hope that helps

Is it possible that you have an Advanced camera installed instead of the Pro??
DJI Forum|[00042483][08 00][00] device not detected.

What I gather from crashed P3A and P3P's is that the P3 body is universal. What this means is that the firmware only differentiated by the camera. Try this. Maybe disconnect the camera and do the update and see if you get the same error on the text file. Another is try and update the firmware with an the advanced firmware.
I'm positive I have the P3 Pro. I've generated 4K video. I'm reluctant to 'disconnect' the camera and possibly void any warranty I might have with DJI. I just checked again and the camera is actually working. I can record stills and video to the SD card, remove the card and view them on my computer; the AC just doesn't transmit any video to the controller.

Well, you can stop with all the formatting stuff. It's not a SD card or FW zip issue. Your updates are failing because it's not detecting a couple pieces of hardware. You'll notice in your log_ab, [15 00] and [08 00] are not detected. I don't know what hardware it is, some think it's the camera and gimbal.

Looks like it's going to need to go to DJI for repair. See this thread.
Professional - help FW update fails every time. | DJI Phantom Forum

Sorry Kevin
TrynFlyn,
I was afraid of this, but expecting it. As I stated before, I am able to record still photos and video to the SD card. When I've flown it with these problems, the gimbal looks rock solid in the recorded video; I just can't see live video or any recorded items on the DJI GO app. I suspect the problem is in whatever component(s) are involved in transmitting video to the controller. I'm going to try a cold IMU calibration as some on this forum say it fixed this issue.

Failing that, I'll have to send it back to DJI. What's the procedure for returns? I bought this P3 back in May, am I still under warranty?

Thanks again to you and all the others for continued assistance.

Kevin

TrynFlyn,
I was afraid of this, but expecting it. As I stated before, I am able to record still photos and video to the SD card. When I've flown it with these problems, the gimbal looks rock solid in the recorded video; I just can't see live video or any recorded items on the DJI GO app. I suspect the problem is in whatever component(s) are involved in transmitting video to the controller. I'm going to try a cold IMU calibration as some on this forum say it fixed this issue.

Failing that, I'll have to send it back to DJI. What's the procedure for returns? I bought this P3 back in May, am I still under warranty?

Thanks again to you and all the others for continued assistance.

Kevin
The warranty periods vary by component here:
Warranty Period of Main Parts | DJI
you start a warranty claim via live chat, email or phone call with DJI

I think trying a cold IMU calibration is a good idea. At this point I would try uninstalling the GO app and reinstalling, as well as relinking the remote too the bird. can't hurt.

Since you skipped 1.4.1 and went straight from 1.3.2 to 1.5.3, you may have missed a few important upgrades that were included in 1.4.1. That was the FW that added the autonomous features. Now when trying to go to 1.5.3, it isnt seeing the 1.4.1 adds, and is listing them as "device not detected" which leads to a failed update.

Normally once you go to 1.5.3, you can only go back to 1.4.1. Since you didn't go to 1.4.1 first, and haven't yet successfully installed 1.5.3, perhaps try to install 1.3.2. If successful, go to 1.4.1 first, and then to 1.5.3.

At this point it is worth a try, though I'm thinking that the bits of 1.5.3 you do have will prevent 1.3.2 from installing.

That's very strange.. it's the second P3P on this forum that show same problem with updating TI DSP and TX Fpga (they seem disconnected from the main processor).
I think you need to send back to DJI.. I start thinking that step to fw 1.5 directly from 1.3 is creating some problem to the Video downlink circuit.
Not very clear indeed...

Did you update the firmware on your RC(transmitter)? What you describe is exactly how mine acted before I updated the firmware of the RC. The new version of the DJI go app requires the updated firmware in the RC to see a picture....

It appears more likely that skipping 1.4.1 and going straight to 1.5.3 is what has led to your issues. I re read your first post and saw that you already tried to go back to 1.3.2 without success.

Since you are running out of options short of sending it in, maybe take a risk and try the old service bin that used to work back in the 1.1.9 / 1.2.x days. Using it then allowed us to revert to prior FW at a time when that was not otherwise possible. Perhaps you will get lucky and it will allow you to install 1.3.2 so you can then go to 1.4.1 and 1.5.3. Note that a few people have said they have tried it recently and it no longer worked.

Ahhh, welcome back F/W 1.1.9 | DJI Phantom Forum

When my phantom first arrived I got no video until I updated the transmitter firmware through the DJI app. After the update it beeped constantly until I recalibrated the sticks using the DJI app....hope that helps
Good info. @Kevin H. , maybe try this first before doing anything more risky. I always thought that since the RC is off during the update that it would not matter, but it seems that it did matter in Nick's case.

Last edited:
@Kevin H, Have you tried to go back, just to 1.4.1 ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj