First no video downlink, now P3P fails repeated update attempts. Help!

Reaction score
Well, here's my tale of woe.

Just recently my P3P stopped sending video from the bird to the controller. Everything else worked fine; I could even take videos and snaps, I just couldn't see what I was taking videos or pictures of. I was at version 1.3.20 on the bird and the controller, and 2.3.0 on DJI GO.

After searching for help on this forum, I tried to install the 32 channel hack, which some said would fix assorted video problems. I installed the .DJI.configs file on my Android Nexus 7 successfully, but it didn't make any difference. I still only had eight channels and no video downlink. Even those eight channels looked pretty weak, all less than -90 dBm on the channel graph in DJI GO. I tried repeated restarts of all components with no luck

I next tried to update the aircraft firmware to 1.5.30 on the bird. This where things went from bad to worse. I've done several FW updates in the past and never had a failure, always successful. Until now. 1.5.30 failed repeated attempts so I went back to 1.3.20 - FAIL! Now I can't get any updates to install on the bird. Interestingly, when I examine the version on the DJI GO app it says the aircraft is now at 1.5.30.

My question for the forum is twofold: first, any clues on how I can get the updates to work again. Second, assuming I get the updates working, any ideas on how I can get the video downlink working again.

This forum has always been very helpful and I'm hoping you all can help me avoid having to send the unit back to DJI.

I'm using an Android Nexus 7 II. It was running v5.something when all this started. Part of my debugging was to update it to Android 6.0.1. My controller is still running 1.3.20.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Kevin H.

The AC is likely updated if the GO app says 1.5.3. What did the .txt file say about the update? If it is at 1.5.3, you can only roll back to 1.4.1 can not go back to 1.3.2. maybe try going to 1.4.1. Have you tried a different USB cable? I think I would update the GO app and the RC firmware also.

Reactions: Kevin H.
TrynFlyn,

I did up date DJI GO to 2.4.3. I'll try going backwards to 1.4.1, but I'm not sanguine. Will report back.

No joy updating the aircraft to 1.4.1. Same problem: I get the D D D D ... sound for about 30-60 seconds, then the status light goes red and failure ensues.

For updating the aircraft using the SD card I don't need the USB cable nor do I use the RC so those things shouldn't matter at this point, right?

Kevin

No joy updating the aircraft to 1.4.1. Same problem: I get the D D D D ... sound for about 30-60 seconds, then the status light goes red and failure ensues.

For updating the aircraft using the SD card I don't need the USB cable nor do I use the RC so those things shouldn't matter at this point, right?

Kevin
Correct. What does the .txt file on the sd card say?

Here's a copy/paste of the .txt file. You can see my earlier successes. The successes are from before I started having this problem. The failures are all from today, 12/12/15. Not a lot of useful info in this file I'm afraid.

Result: Success.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:11 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.03.0020.bin
Upgrading ...

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:11 remo-con disconnect======
Upgrading ...

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:13 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.05.0030.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Failed.
Reboot the aircraft and try to upgrade the firmware again.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:14 remo-con disconnect======

Packet: P3X_FW_V01.04.0010.bin

So was your GO app at 2.3.0 or 2.4.3 when the camera view stopped working?
It was 2.3.0 when the camera stopped working. I updated to 2.4.3 today to see if that helped. It didn't, but that's what's installed at present.

Okay. It's strange that you said the Go app reported you were at 1.5.3, but I don't see any successful 1.5.3 logs.
Do you have a different SD card? Try formatting it in your computer, not the AC, and re download the 1.5.3 firmware. Make sure it is unzipped and .bin file is the only file on the SD card. try update again.

Okay. It's strange that you said the Go app reported you were at 1.5.3, but I don't see any successful 1.5.3 logs.
Do you have a different SD card? Try formatting it in your computer, not the AC, and re download the 1.5.3 firmware. Make sure it is unzipped and .bin file is the only file on the SD card. try update again.
OK, I'll try these recommendations. I, too, thought it was odd that it looked like 1.5.30 was installed. The first time I tried installing 1.5.30 it went for about 15 minutes before I got the failure indications, so most of the FW might have made it. I dunno, weird.

And thanks for helping out. You're making lots of good suggestions.

Kevin H.

Perhaps also try using a different battery if you haven't already. I once had that same "reboot" error over and over which stopped with a different battery. It may have been a coincidence and unrelated I do admit, but if all else is failing it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
Perhaps also try using a different battery if you haven't already. I once had that same "reboot" error over and over which stopped with a different battery. It may have been a coincidence and unrelated I do admit, but if all else is failing it's worth a shot.
I've now tried three different freshly charged batteries with no success. I've tried three different SD cards, all re-formatted, no success. Grrrrr.:mad:

Are you sure the .bin file is unzipped and there are no other files on the SD card? Not trying to insult you at all.

Are you sure the .bin file is unzipped and there are no other files on the SD card? Not trying to insult you at all.
Believe me, no offense taken at all.

When I download the update file from DJI.com, it appears in my download directory as P3X_FW_V01.05.0030.bin, not as a zip file. The file size is 65.9 Mb. I'm using a MAC Mini and I believe it unpacks/unzips it automatically. Do I need to unzip the P3X_FW_V01.05.0030.bin file further?

Oddly, when I download v1.3.20 or 1.4.1, it comes into my download directory as a folder with two files in it: one is the update guide pdf, the other is P3X_FW_V01.03.0020.bin. Again, it seems the MAC unpacks the .bin file.

I have not tried to unzip the .bin file itself. Should I?

Kevin

I also read somewhere that often sd cards formatted on a mac wont install the updates, maybe try to format it on pc or on the drone,
Might also be an idea to not only format the sd card on pc but unzip and use pc to put it there.

BTW it should be formatted to exfat

No need to try to unzip it if it is not showing as a compressed file. I was just looking for a obvious simple solution. I asked because another long time member had trouble over and over
Phantom 3 Professional Firmware v1.5.0030 | Page 20 | DJI Phantom Forum
Have you tried verifying that your SD card reader on the gimbal works? Can you format the card on the AC and look to see if it created any folders on it?

re: formatting SD card on the aircraft (AC).
I erase all the files on my SD card, then I plug the USB port on the gimbal into my computer with a USB cable. I insert the SD card and power on the AC. After the gimbal does its thing I begin hearing a D...D...D...D... sound. Not the D D D D sound you get when it's updating, this is one D every two seconds. Nothing else happens. I go to Disk Utility and format the SD card using exfat. Then I download the .bin file to it. Nothing changes so I power down the AC remove the USB cable and power the AC back up with the SD card in. The bird starts the update process; I get the D..DD, then the D D D D for about 10 seconds, then it fails.

Not sure if I did the formatting on the AC correctly; I'm glad to take direction if there's a better way. I regret that none of these suggestions are working out. I want to keep trying if you have any new ideas.

Thanks,

Kevin

re: formatting SD card on the aircraft (AC).
I erase all the files on my SD card, then I plug the USB port on the gimbal into my computer with a USB cable. I insert the SD card and power on the AC. After the gimbal does its thing I begin hearing a D...D...D...D... sound. Not the D D D D sound you get when it's updating, this is one D every two seconds. Nothing else happens. I go to Disk Utility and format the SD card using exfat. Then I download the .bin file to it. Nothing changes so I power down the AC remove the USB cable and power the AC back up with the SD card in. The bird starts the update process; I get the D..DD, then the D D D D for about 10 seconds, then it fails.

Not sure if I did the formatting on the AC correctly; I'm glad to take direction if there's a better way. I regret that none of these suggestions are working out. I want to keep trying if you have any new ideas.

Thanks,

Kevin
Okay...I don't know about formatting the SD card in the AC when the AC is connected to your computer via USB the way you described. It may work fine, or not. I'm a Windows user.

Are you downloading the FW from the DJI website directly to your card in the AC? or from the DJI website, to your computer, then copying to the SD card in the AC?

You said you can connect to the AC with the GO app, correct? Try formatting the SD card thru the Go app. If that works, download the FW to your computer, and copy it to the SD card using the SDXC card slot (and adapter) on your mac. If you cant use the GO app, at least try formatting and copying the FW to the card using the card slot on your MAC. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but make sure the file is unzipped and the .bin file is the only thing on the card.

Good luck - may the force be with you

Use the 16g SD card it came with and make sure its formatted by the phantom.
Then make sure the unzip file on the ROOT of the card. Let it update for 20 minutes (even if it fails) and make sure you have more than 50% batt in both Bird and Remote Control.

Use the 16g SD card it came with and make sure its formatted by the phantom.
Then make sure the unzip file on the ROOT of the card. Let it update for 20 minutes (even if it fails) and make sure you have more than 50% batt in both Bird and Remote Control.
Great point....I agree. Try different formatting suggestions in last post and let it go longer as Mako suggests

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31