First negative neighbour experience....

Just to clarify the long line over houses is not part of my flight path, it's a result of not killing the dji pilot app between flying locations
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438872514.650273.jpg

I had my first negative stranger experience the other day.
I was attempting to get some slow shutter speed long exposure shots in low light, and was in a field, A women pulls into the car park, and asks me if the "drone" had a camera on it. Which I of course replied yes.
She then accused me of flying over hee house and spying on her, even after I showed her the overlay of my flight path on the map she was still ranting at me about it, telling me I did fly over her house, threatening to call the police etc.
After trying to reason with her, I got sick, I told her to call the police and that I would gladly wait with her. To which she made some excuse about having to go pick her daughter up.
She then left, telling me I was some combination of various four letter words, and if I came back her husband would see to me! I found this threat mildly amusing being 6ft 3 inches, 18 stone and an ex professional boxer :)

Each night now, I have been back to the same spot, removed the camera from my !1 (so that I cannot be accused of invading privacy) and spent at least one battery flying backwards and forwards over her house (with more than 50m between) :)

I tried to explain, I tried to reason, I even presented proof - if she was too ignorant to see her folly, then fool on her.

If her husband turns out to be 6ft 4, 18 1/2 stone and an ex professional boxer be sure to let me know before anything kicks off, the boxing on TV these days is absolute rubbish, havn't seen a decent fight since the like of Tyson/Nas/Lewis :)

On a more serious note I wouldn't bother to coax her by flying over her house even with or without a camera, its not worth it really, give her the benefit of the doubt in that she may well be genuinely distressed about the situation and not just bieng a killjoy - Adam

Reactions: IflyinWY
I have a HTC M9 but cannot get smooth video feed so I use a Galaxy Tab S with google play services reset to its default version, that allows for a buttery smooth experience. With google play services updated its lags like mad over time and after about ten minutes of flight locks up the tablet completely.

I hope the issue is resolved with the new DJI Go app when us android users get the update - Adam
Your TAB S experience is exactly what I had with a brand new TAB S. For me though, even down grading the Google services didn't improve anything, glad yours is working for the time being. Fortunately I bought mine on Amazon, returned it with no problem and went to the iPad mini. I prefer android for a lot of little reasons, but for my p3p the iPad mini works flawless so far. If DJI fixes the android app someday I may go back to the tab s. I really like that it had a card reader, convenient for viewing the video/photos I take. The screen was incredible.

Your TAB S experience is exactly what I had with a brand new TAB S. For me though, even down grading the Google services didn't improve anything, glad yours is working for the time being. Fortunately I bought mine on Amazon, returned it with no problem and went to the iPad mini. I prefer android for a lot of little reasons, but for my p3p the iPad mini works flawless so far. If DJI fixes the android app someday I may go back to the tab s. I really like that it had a card reader, convenient for viewing the video/photos I take. The screen was incredible.

Yeah i also went into developer options and limited background processes to 1, that may have helped the issue.

I just cannot bring myself to buy an apple product ever again, im holding out for the Shield Tablet 2 - Adam

If her husband turns out to be 6ft 4, 18 1/2 stone and an ex professional boxer be sure to let me know before anything kicks off, the boxing on TV these days is absolute rubbish, havn't seen a decent fight since the like of Tyson/Nas/Lewis :)
y - Adam

This made me chuckle.

Completely off topic, but this is why I have starting following MMA instead. The Conor McGregor vs. Chad Mendes fight a few weeks back was incredible. Actually the entire card was quite good. Even when boxing was at its best, I don't remember multiple good fights on a card.

I don't have any patience for idiots. If they come at me I think I would tell them to call the cops because I don't care to listen to them accuse me of any wrongdoing. I know my laws and I'm not going to be interrupted and have my time wasted, not to mention put people at risk because I am diverting my attention to some *******. I have zero tolerance for uneducated people. The media is to the blame, along with some stupid pilots.

Last edited:
I fly mostly on my property. I also go to a local park close to me. I try to go at times children or families are not there. I am careful and don't get into their space or close to them if they are in part of the park. If too many when I arrive, I just leave. BUT, if I'm flying and doing nothing wrong, I will not tolerate some *** coming up and giving me any crap. If they have a question, I will answer if they are civil. I don't owe them anything just as I need no explanation for why they are there. If they want to push it, I will land, secure my stuff and meet them face to face. I don't take crap. Never have and don't plan to start now.

Probably growing weed in his back garden?

A
Decided to test out the latest FW update on my P3P tonight at around 9pm (UK), sent her up from my back yard as I have done many times before and cruised round the estate at altitude keeping constant LOS.

I will honour his distress and no longer fly it around my home as I really dont want to upset anyone, but I would have preferred it if he put his point across is a less agressive manor. I really cannot understand why he was so angered, maybe he is hiding something.... - Adam
y groy growi

It amazes me how some people try to use the police to mediate disagreements between them and their neighbor. Almost like the police are our neighborhood "parents". My next door neighbor once called the police because one of my security cameras included part of her property in its field of view. The police responded and complimented my security system. This same neighbor never says anything about my P3 flying over her property. Probably because she doesn't want to be on record for another false report about "criminal activity".

It amazes me how some people try to use the police to mediate disagreements between them and their neighbor. Almost like the police are our neighborhood "parents". My next door neighbor once called the police because one of my security cameras included part of her property in its field of view. The police responded and complimented my security system. This same neighbor never says anything about my P3 flying over her property. Probably because she doesn't want to be on record for another false report about "criminal activity".
Let her house get broken into and she will probably want to see your security camera footage.

My state (Texas) it will soon be legal to open carry. Might have to strap a Glock to my hip if this type of behavior keeps up. As the saying goes...an armed society is a polite society!

If I'm not mistaken, here in the US it's a federal offence to interfere with the pilot of an aircraft. The feds want to treat us like an airplane or helicopter, the same protection laws should carry forth.

Adamation, perhaps you have the same type of laws protecting you. If someone does take your controller and crash your bird, you may be able to have them tossed in prison.

I do believe you handled the situation quite well. Thanks for not making the news. :)

Reactions: Adamation
If I'm not mistaken, here in the US it's a federal offence to interfere with the pilot of an aircraft. The feds want to treat us like an airplane or helicopter, the same protection laws should carry forth.

Adamation, perhaps you have the same type of laws protecting you. If someone does take your controller and crash your bird, you may be able to have them tossed in prison.

I do believe you handled the situation quite well. Thanks for not making the news. :)

I'm going to look into that right now! thanks for the heads up - Adam

I've been flipped off twice, and one time this neighbor asked if I was the one controlling "that white UFO" and i said yeah.
Then he said next time he sees it flying he's gonna flash his private parts and then started laughing. I seriously hope he was kidding

This made me chuckle.

Completely off topic, but this is why I have starting following MMA instead. The Conor McGregor vs. Chad Mendes fight a few weeks back was incredible. Actually the entire card was quite good. Even when boxing was at its best, I don't remember multiple good fights on a card.

I love MMA, been following since about 2004-2005.

Just a thought but I would venture to say that most people flying these quads are not pilots, kind of like security guards are not cops. They are hoobyists at best. More likely a violation of someone comes on to your property and does not leave when told to do so. You can always piss on his shoes and thank him for his input.

Just a thought but I would venture to say that most people flying these quads are not pilots, kind of like security guards are not cops. They are hoobyists at best. More likely a violation of someone comes on to your property and does not leave when told to do so. You can always piss on his shoes and thank him for his input.

"If I'm not mistaken, here in the US it's a federal offence to interfere with the pilot of an aircraft. The feds want to treat us like an airplane or helicopter, the same protection laws should carry forth."

The above snippet refers to the fact that the FAA has determined our UAVs are "aircraft" and we are the operators or pilots of the craft. It is a Federal offence to interfere with the operation of an aircraft.
If the FAA says we are "aircraft" in order to legislate our hobby, they damned well better offer us the same protections other "aircraft" are entitled to as well.

And yes, we are all pilots:

pilot

Also found in: Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
pi·lot
(pī′lət)
n.
1. One who operates or is licensed to operate an aircraft in flight.
2. Nautical
a. One who, though not belonging to a ship's company, is licensed to conduct a ship into and out of port or through dangerous waters.
b. The helmsman of a ship.
3. One who guides or directs a course of action for others.
4. The part of a tool, device, or machine that leads or guides the whole.
5. A pilot light, as in a stove.
6. A television program produced as a prototype of a series being considered for adoption by a network.
tr.v. pi·lot·ed, pi·lot·ing, pi·lots
To serve as the pilot of (a plane, for example).
2. To steer or control the course of: piloted the visitors around the city. See Synonyms at guide.
adj.
1. Serving as a tentative model for future experiment or development: a pilot project.
2. Serving or leading as guide.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav