First negative encounter this evening

Reaction score
I found a large field where the corn had been cut and cleared - county property that is leased to a farmer - a really great place to fly because it is more than half a mile in length, a quarter mile wide and has a couple of trees where I can practice orbiting.

So this evening I was flying, chasing deer, just enjoying the flight. Followed a deer to the wooded edge of the field and decided to pop up over the trees to see if they were going through. From about 150' up I brought the P3 back to me over a couple of homes, landed and started to pack up.

As I have everything in the case and am ready to leave I see a guy coming toward me from the tree line - I politely ask how he's doing this evening and I get a reply "I was doing fine until you flew that POS over my property". He then starts berating me about did I have permission to be there and with all that space why was I over his property.

I explained that I was on county property - not private - and that I had flown over his property while bring the P3 back to land. He let me know that if he saw "that thing" again "we would have issues". I tried to, as politely as possible, explain that I hadn't done anything wrong, that I had the right to fly my quad - he just repeated that "we would have issues"

Now the instigator in me wants to go back to another corner of that field, go up to 400' and park it over his house - but I will be good and do my best to not fly over his house again. But if I start having gimbal issues, or stress cracks, or even a broken camera - I now know where I can fly where I will probably end up with a new bird :)

Reactions: Trumple
So far I've run into four people and all the reactions have been positive. I'm loaded up with positive responses for the inevitable negative nancy, though.

I found a large field where the corn had been cut and cleared - county property that is leased to a farmer - a really great place to fly because it is more than half a mile in length, a quarter mile wide and has a couple of trees where I can practice orbiting.

So this evening I was flying, chasing deer, just enjoying the flight. Followed a deer to the wooded edge of the field and decided to pop up over the trees to see if they were going through. From about 150' up I brought the P3 back to me over a couple of homes, landed and started to pack up.

As I have everything in the case and am ready to leave I see a guy coming toward me from the tree line - I politely ask how he's doing this evening and I get a reply "I was doing fine until you flew that POS over my property". He then starts berating me about did I have permission to be there and with all that space why was I over his property.

I explained that I was on county property - not private - and that I had flown over his property while bring the P3 back to land. He let me know that if he saw "that thing" again "we would have issues". I tried to, as politely as possible, explain that I hadn't done anything wrong, that I had the right to fly my quad - he just repeated that "we would have issues"

Now the instigator in me wants to go back to another corner of that field, go up to 400' and park it over his house - but I will be good and do my best to not fly over his house again. But if I start having gimbal issues, or stress cracks, or even a broken camera - I now know where I can fly where I will probably end up with a new bird :)
I believe legally you need to have permission from the lease holder. Did you have permission from the county to fly there?
And frankly, if I saw you chasing deer, I'd have a few words with you too.

I believe legally you need to have permission from the lease holder. Did you have permission from the county to fly there?
And frankly, if I saw you chasing deer, I'd have a few words with you too.

Lighten up Francis! Chasing Deer is better defined as filming them from 50'+ in the air.

And the location I was standing, where I took off and landed, was not leased - just the fields. And none of it was leased to him.

Last edited:
Lighten up Francis! Chasing Deer is better defined as filming them from 50'+ in the air.

And the location I was standing, where I took off and landed, was not leased - just the fields. And none of it was leased to him.
Ahh, well that makes a world of difference. Did you have permission from the leaseholder of the property where you were chasing the deer?

Reactions: dirkclod
Times are a changing, a new law coming into practice here is we will need permission from everyone we fly over, every house we fly over.

This includes "everyone" like a football game, the beach, the list goes on. The man says "We can't have a 15KG machine fall from the sky and perhaps cause serious injury".

I'm not sure of what weighs 15kg that I have on the shelf but he's still talking about a quad.

Ahh, well that makes a world of difference. Did you have permission from the leaseholder of the property where you were chasing the deer?

You know that not all state are like Washington so get off your soap box.

Chasing Deer is not defined as filming them scott ..more like harassing wildlife or is here in MS !
Don't matter if ya have permission from a land owner or not as the deer belong to the state and if ya caught
then you be ....Lightened up....Francis :)
Just saying.

#GoodnNuff and @dirkclod -- let me apologize for my poor choice of words when I said that I was "chasing deer". We have all seen videos posted here where someone flies over horses, cattle, elk, etc -- filming the animals. I spotted a group of deer in a field and flew to them, they spooked and I followed them to the tree line - end of story. They spooked the same way as if a bike rider would have passed by on one of the nearby bike trails.

When I fly my P3, I am paranoid to a fault - I stay away from people as much as possible, have only had it beyond LOS once, try to keep it above the trees and out of harms way. I have reviewed both my local city and county ordinances, talked with the county police - there are no regulations concerning UAS's on county property -- so permission is not needed.

I have flown the Phantom ~85 times in my neighborhood, county parks, fields, state parks, and other locations around the state and this was my first negative interaction with someone. Generally people want to watch the video, I take pics and email them later, they ask questions and I answer as best I can. In this case - one guy had issue with the P3 flying over his property - not his house, or him or his kids - his property.

So in the end -- Yes, Lighten Up Francis....

Reactions: unclejas
Ya that will Lighten ya up about $2000.00 here .
You flew to them and not the same as just spooking them by riding by them .
And again I was just saying scott !

Reactions: GoodnNuff
#GoodnNuff and @dirkclod -- let me apologize for my poor choice of words when I said that I was "chasing deer". We have all seen videos posted here where someone flies over horses, cattle, elk, etc -- filming the animals. I spotted a group of deer in a field and flew to them, they spooked and I followed them to the tree line - end of story. They spooked the same way as if a bike rider would have passed by on one of the nearby bike trails.

When I fly my P3, I am paranoid to a fault - I stay away from people as much as possible, have only had it beyond LOS once, try to keep it above the trees and out of harms way. I have reviewed both my local city and county ordinances, talked with the county police - there are no regulations concerning UAS's on county property -- so permission is not needed.

I have flown the Phantom ~85 times in my neighborhood, county parks, fields, state parks, and other locations around the state and this was my first negative interaction with someone. Generally people want to watch the video, I take pics and email them later, they ask questions and I answer as best I can. In this case - one guy had issue with the P3 flying over his property - not his house, or him or his kids - his property.

So in the end -- Yes, Lighten Up Francis....

What state are you in Scott?

Chasing Deer is not defined as filming them scott ..more like harassing wildlife or is here in MS !
Don't matter if ya have permission from a land owner or not as the deer belong to the state and if ya caught
then you be ....Lightened up....Francis :)
Just saying.

The state may think it owns the those animal.

@jason
The state may think it owns the those animal.
They don't think they do when they in MS . I know Jason
Now this has gone OT and my fault so just leave it alone Jason

Reactions: kminton327
I live in Virginia -- and from the 10 minutes of research I have done there is no law against "chasing deer". The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries "suggest" that you avoid "the urge to chase, herd, flush or make noises" while filming or photographing

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlifewatching/respect-wildlife.asp

But there was a really good article talking about To Shoot, or Not To Shoot, the dogs chasing a deer....

And I'm not offended by any of the posts/conversations here -- way too **** old and skin's way too thick to get offended by posts on a message board. :p

Reactions: johnnyu
@jason
They don't think they do when they in MS . I know Jason
Now this has gone OT and my fault so just leave it alone Jason

I'm pretty sure the state has the legal right to _manage_ the wildlife, not own it.

What is the Public Trust Doctrine?
The Public Trust Doctrine holds that wildlife resources are entrusted to the government to be managed for the public. Government does not own these resources, but they are entrusted with their long-term management and care.

I'm pretty sure the state has the legal right to _manage_ the wildlife, not own it.

What is the Public Trust Doctrine?
The Public Trust Doctrine holds that wildlife resources are entrusted to the government to be managed for the public. Government does not own these resources, but they are entrusted with their long-term management and care.
What ever ya say tcope .
Like I said this has went OT and sorry scott for that .

A picture sends 10 words, I've been taught this here from we know whom :)
clint-nod.gif
we.jpg
looking at ya.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj