First loss of control and return to home.

Reaction score
I went out a ways... I kind of knew it was too far. Alert hit my iphone and a RTH started. I had already set my RTH height at 90 feet to clear pretty much anything I could run into. There was a point that when I could hear it I felt a sense of relief and when control came back I still let it fly it's self back and land just because I was so impressed and thrilled I did not have a fly away.

I fly out all the time now around 3 miles soon as rth kicks in I set down remote and just have a smoke and wait for it

I fly out all the time now around 3 miles soon as rth kicks in I set down remote and just have a smoke and wait for it
Guessing that's w/ your advanced? How's that autel do on long range?

I used to use RTH when I lost track of my bird :) Lateron I learned how to use radar and never lost directions.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

As it came into view there was an odd beauty of it. I could have cancelled and I thought what the heck. Just watch it.

Starlink_20160710_101419_Manual_Moment(2).jpg
Guessing that's w/ your advanced? How's that autel do on long range?
nope that with my pumpkin my p3a with dbs mod cant go as far real close tho

Reactions: Ohiowoodsman
I've RTH'd over 100x. RTH is like moving the stick. Just another routine control.

If you're far, it's a good idea to take it out of RTH early and fly it home because you can fly home at double the speed and thereby save battery (no, it doesn't work like gas mileage where you can save gas by driving 55)

Welcome to the site!

I've RTH'd over 100x. RTH is like moving the stick. Just another routine control.

If you're far, it's a good idea to take it out of RTH early and fly it home because you can fly home at double the speed and thereby save battery (no, it doesn't work like gas mileage where you can save gas by driving 55)

Welcome to the site!
What is the set rth speed anyways? Never really paid attention to get an estimate

I have a P2V - and my RTH speed in calm winds is about 16, but with a head wind it is about 14 and with a tailwind it's about 18 mph. A P3 would be a bit faster...

Well I might as well tell you about my first RTH event. It was with my Standard, and I was flying in 20 mph winds trying to get to the top of a mountain to video a cross up there. It was actually the very first long flight I attempted. I had not yet learned about the little Radar screen, and what the blue triangle meant. I took off and started for altitude. I had to get up to at least 400 feet to clear the mountain. Soon the wind decided to have its way with the flight path. I very soon lost control as the aircraft moved farther and farther downwind. It soon reach about 800 feet downwind at 300 feet of altitude, and I could not for the life of me figure out which way it was pointing to get it back home. It just kept going farther and farther away in crazy circles as I over controlled. It never even occurred to me to look at the **** screen. I panicked, and decided to just get it on the ground wherever it came down. It was flat desert land, so there were no trees or buildings. Just some big bushes. With my lack of experience, I did not realize that if I just got off the controls, it would hover in place. I actually started running in the direction of where I thought it would land. At my age, that was not an easy task. But I was in full panic mode. . By that time I had chased it about 600 feet from the Home Position. I was out of breath and could not go any more. At some point, I remembered the RTH button and hit it hard. Soon I looked up and saw my $500 toy going past me over my head. I thought, where in the Hell is it going now. I'm getting too old for this crap! I just started walking back to the truck with the controller dangling at the end of my arm. I lost sight of the aircraft and wondered if I would ever see it again. When I finally got back to the truck, and Home Position, there was my aircraft sitting on the ground waiting for me. I swear I heard it say, "What took you so long?" Now I always use the RTH feature when returning from long flights.

Well I might as well tell you about my first RTH event. It was with my Standard, and I was flying in 20 mph winds trying to get to the top of a mountain to video a cross up there. It was actually the very first long flight I attempted. I had not yet learned about the little Radar screen, and what the blue triangle meant. I took off and started for altitude. I had to get up to at least 400 feet to clear the mountain. Soon the wind decided to have its way with the flight path. I very soon lost control as the aircraft moved farther and farther downwind. It soon reach about 800 feet downwind at 300 feet of altitude, and I could not for the life of me figure out which way it was pointing to get it back home. It just kept going farther and farther away in crazy circles as I over controlled. It never even occurred to me to look at the **** screen. I panicked, and decided to just get it on the ground wherever it came down. It was flat desert land, so there were no trees or buildings. Just some big bushes. With my lack of experience, I did not realize that if I just got off the controls, it would hover in place. I actually started running in the direction of where I thought it would land. At my age, that was not an easy task. But I was in full panic mode. . By that time I had chased it about 600 feet from the Home Position. I was out of breath and could not go any more. At some point, I remembered the RTH button and hit it hard. Soon I looked up and saw my $500 toy going past me over my head. I thought, where in the Hell is it going now. I'm getting too old for this crap! I just started walking back to the truck with the controller dangling at the end of my arm. I lost sight of the aircraft and wondered if I would ever see it again. When I finally got back to the truck, and Home Position, there was my aircraft sitting on the ground waiting for me. I swear I heard it say, "What took you so long?" Now I always use the RTH feature when returning from long flights.

Haha love this story. Suprised it fought the winds in RTH mode. I saw a Video of someone who got RTH and it just could not fight the wind to get back.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20