First Litchi mission: the route flew correctly, but it didn't track the POI

Reaction score
Website
www.stevenmichelsen.com
I set up and ran my first Litchi mission today. Intending to start simple, I set up a rough circle about 200 feet in diameter, with 6 waypoints, in the middle of an open field. The last waypoint was right next to the first. I set one POI at the spot I was standing. All waypoints were set to "gimbal pitch: Focus POI" at POI #1 (the only one).
I ran the mission. It flew the route as planned, the camera pointed forward the entire time! It ignored the POI altogether.

What am I doing wrong here? What am I missing?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve:

It sounds like you've set it up correctly. I'd click on each of your waypoints and ensure they all have that setting.

If you've got a Litchi Mission Hub account (its free), you could make this mission public and share the link. I'd take a look at it.

SB

SB,
Yes, each waypoint shows the same: FOCUS POI - on #1.

OK I sorted out how to get a mission shared. Here's the link...
Mission Hub - Litchi

Steve:

It sounds like you've set it up correctly. I'd click on each of your waypoints and ensure they all have that setting.

If you've got a Litchi Mission Hub account (its free), you could make this mission public and share the link. I'd take a look at it.

SB

Last edited:
How can I upload it the mission hub? I am signed on to the hub on my tablet.

I think all you would have to do is get on Litchi's Mission Hub page and sign in and your mission would be there. (Once there, click: Missions/Open)

I usually set my flights up in Mission Hub first and then open them up with my iPad before I fly.

SB

If you have signed up for an account at Litchi, enter than info in the setup on your tablet. It will then sync to the cloud. You can then log into the mission planner on their website, set the mission to public,and then email out a link.

On the screen showing your mission, do each of the little triangles at each waypoint point toward the POI? Also, what height did you set the POI to? That will affect the gimble angle.

Reactions: Sagebrush
The mission looks just fine. What version of firmware are you running on your P3? Is it current?

I think he fixed it before he posted it.

SB
Actually NO I didn't fix it! I see that the arrows all point in the correct direction on the linked version of the mission, but on my tablet they are still all pointed in the direction of movement! Here's a photo of the tablet... what's going on here??

BTW never mind that stray waypoint shooting off to the right.
Litchi_mystery.jpg

Try making a change on the web site, then save it. Should sync back to the tablet. Once that is done it should work fine. I say that because the mission, as is on the web site, is correct.

Try making a change on the web site, then save it. Should sync back to the tablet. Once that is done it should work fine. I say that because the mission, as is on the web site, is correct.

I FOUND THE PROBLEM.

The answer was to set the "Heading mode" in "mission settings" to "User controlled".
Suddenly it's all better. In my defense I would say that there seems to be no such setting on the hub website, and I suppose that "user controlled" is not the default heading mode in Litchi on the tablet.

The interesting thing here is that it is possible (if you try hard enough to screw it up) to create a perfectly workable mission on your laptop at flylitchi.com/hub, sync it to your tablet, and have it NOT work on your tablet! It seems that the "missions settings" in Litchi on the tablet overrides one's waypoint settings, when it comes to where the camera is looking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sagebrush
Ok i was wrong again. The mission settings needs to be set to "waypoint defined" to get the camera to look at the aimed POI, not "user controlled". I tried both; only "waypoint defined" worked. Though I didn't get a chance to test it, I suppose that "user controlled" gives the pilot yaw and gimbal tilt control of the craft as it follows its mission?

Waypoint Defined: The bird will point in the direction specified at each waypoint and it will slowly interpolate that direction as it progresses from waypoint to waypoint.

User Controlled: The bird will fly the course but the yaw (rotation) is controlled by stick on the RC during the mission. This emulates "bird on a wire" camera motions where the camera tracks on the wire but the cameraman controls the aiming of the camera during its travel along the wire.

See the full description here:
Help - Litchi
Heading Mode: Defines the heading of the aircraft during the mission. Choose between "Toward next Waypoint" ("Auto" on iOS) where the aircraft will point toward the next waypoint, "Initial Direction" ("Initial" on iOS) where the aircraft will keep the heading it has when the mission is started, "User Controlled" ("Manual" on iOS) where you are able to control the heading of the aircraft during the mission using the left joystick left/right (mode 2) or "Waypoint Defined" ("Custom" on iOS) where the aircraft will use the heading defined at each waypoint. Using "Waypoint Defined" ("Custom" on iOS) also means that the aircraft will smoothly transition from one waypoint's heading to the next.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31