First job.....

Reaction score
So, i got contacted by a real estate agent asking me to shoot a house that's in restricted area, class d near airport, I'm gonna fly below 100ft, so do i still need a waiver from FAA, or can i fly since ill go low....i think i need, but being my first job, i just wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing...(by the way I'm part 107 holder)
1518050803434.png

You should know as a 107 holder that you need a waiver to fly in controlled airspace, regardless if you're only flying 100' I used to live in that area and although it's D airspace, you're at one of the busiest general aviation airports in the country!!!

Thanks man, like said, i kind of knew that i need, but i got confused that some apps are saying you need authorization, and some says waivers...is it the same?

So, i got contacted by a real estate agent asking me to shoot a house that's in restricted area, class d near airport, I'm gonna fly below 100ft, so do i still need a waiver from FAA, or can i fly since ill go low....i think i need, but being my first job, i just wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing...(by the way I'm part 107 holder)

You'll need the required Airspace Authorization/Waiver even if you intend to fly at 1' off the ground. No part of Part 107 ever states "If you stay below a certain altitude you do not have to abide by FAA Federal Regulations."

Keep in mind you have to think "What if".... What if you lose control and the aircraft goes into RTH? What if you get disoriented and fly higher/farther than you intended?

There is NO grey area about this. Flying is flying is flying.

Thanks man, like said, i kind of knew that i need, but i got confused that some apps are saying you need authorization, and some says waivers...is it the same?

If you go to this link and spend some time in there it will pretty much help to answer many of your Part 107 Waiver questions:

FAADroneZone

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
You'll need the required Airspace Authorization/Waiver even if you intend to fly at 1' off the ground. No part of Part 107 ever states "If you stay below a certain altitude you do not have to abide by FAA Federal Regulations."

Keep in mind you have to think "What if".... What if you lose control and the aircraft goes into RTH? What if you get disoriented and fly higher/farther than you intended?

There is NO grey area about this. Flying is flying is flying.

If you go to this link and spend some time in there it will pretty much help to answer many of your Part 107 Waiver questions:

FAADroneZone
I have read many times about staying a 100 ft. from a house. Don't jump me, I stay way more than that. What I'm getting at is about privacy, home owner's rights. WV. is coming up with some writing in that line. We have trees taller then that. No plane would fly that low. It would make things more simple if everything below 100 ft. wouldn't need to apply for a waver. That would free up a LOT of paperwork. Seems common sense. Part 107 guys could do their work and free up the government red tape. A Plane would hit something at a 100 ft. before it would hit a drone.

I have read many times about staying a 100 ft. from a house. Don't jump me, I stay way more than that. What I'm getting at is about privacy, home owner's rights. WV. is coming up with some writing in that line.
No worry my friend no jumping going on here :)

This thread isn't contesting "Privacy" and the distance from homes etc. It's purely discussing flying in Controlled Airspace.

...We have trees taller then that. No plane would fly that low. It would make things more simple if everything below 100 ft. wouldn't need to apply for a waver. That would free up a LOT of paperwork. Seems common sense. Part 107 guys could do their work and free up the government red tape. A Plane would hit something at a 100 ft. before it would hit a drone.

If they did that then people would be saying, "What if I stay below 150....175........ Where do you draw the line? It's already there at 400'.

Keep in mind a lot of us "work" daily in the 200' - 400' area making a living. Remember Part 107 encompasses a lot more than just Real Estate photography circling a home at 75' AGL taking pretty pictures for Realtors.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
I have read many times about staying a 100 ft. from a house. Don't jump me, I stay way more than that. What I'm getting at is about privacy, home owner's rights. WV. is coming up with some writing in that line. We have trees taller then that. No plane would fly that low. It would make things more simple if everything below 100 ft. wouldn't need to apply for a waver. That would free up a LOT of paperwork. Seems common sense. Part 107 guys could do their work and free up the government red tape. A Plane would hit something at a 100 ft. before it would hit a drone.
You're preaching to the choir for the most part. State privacy laws and FAR 107 requirements are apples and oranges. The feds are pretty specific about 107 requirements, trees or no trees. Comply or risk fines, that simple.

Reactions: BigAl07
I agree with all above, multi-month wait to get authorization in Delta if you are luck. Fortunately one of my Delta sites is only towered 5 days a week, so I can fly on the other 2. Also, ATC at my local airport opens at 7AM, so I can fly before 7am when the sun rises early enough (not currently during Winter)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves