first incident

Reaction score
in a rush on lunch time to get footage of the ice we have had accumulate in
the trees around here, and i clipped the top of a tree and the phantom v.3
fell down thru some branches, i could retrieve it easily as it was only 100' away
from me.

i broke a prop, so i replace them all and rebooted, but got no satellite indicators
on my phone. (the phantom blinked green like normal)
the gimbal and camera worked, i could tilt the gimbal and view the camera on
my phone.
inside i did a more thourough inspection, and found one of the wiring plugs going
into the top of the camera/gimbel assembly had a wire pulled out, and another one
loose. so it looks like i am going to get to know my phantom intimately, sooner
instead of later.
are these wires going to be able to go back into the connector ok?

2ndly, i noticed that i have 2 wires coming down the legs of my phantom, the compass from
what i read. after this incident i noticed one leg looks normal, but the other one i am not sure
if it's normal, but all i see is the end of a wire, with nothing attached., sort of tucked inside the
leg. my hunch is i am missing another compass component? which will be impossible to find
since everything in/under and around the tree is encased in snow and ice!

here's a pic of the loose wire on top of the gimbal,
any thoughts on repairing myself?
i did not start the motors, for fear i had no satellite signal, even though i had normal blinking
green lights.

i have a picture of where the wire is pulled, but not of the leg. can post later

Attachments

• IMG_20141215_131812_663.jpg
    IMG_20141215_131812_663.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 565
dutch said:
and here is the dreaded video hurts to watch

Sorry for your crash...lesson learned right. I really like the video perspective of snow and trees. I think most have been caught in a video running to a downed Phantom...;)

Just had a similar hit(s) over thanksgiving, tree jumped up to my altitude and took me out. Like you, I got caught up in doing the video and forgot the surroundings. Minor damage to the shell and two props destroyed, dusted off and good to go. Here's to your next crash being less painful.

Buy the replacement wire set and change it out.

wire set ordered, not too bad, really.
i did get lost in the video, but i was watching the phantom and thought i had goosed it
to get up over and miscalculated... another rookie mistake.
i have no instincts to shut the thing down though... it shut itself down.

i just hope the lack of satellite strength showing on my phone is from those wires,,

am i safe to say that without the app running on the phone, with the proper indicators
with the lights, it's still safe to fly?
maybe it's time for atti mode..........

I was wondering if you were flying FPV, but I guess this was a Vision and you were dual tasking between the phone and the copter. I know if I were flying ANYWHERE near trees I would have my eyeballs on the copter.

i have not flown in FPV yet,
but, as i watched it go over towards the big pine tree,
then compared to watching it on video, it's amazing at how
bad my depth perception is watching the phantom, either live or
thru the app. my old eyes are getting bad i guess!
i really thought i was higher than i was.

I guess it is a timely lesson to all of us rookies - give yourself more altitude than you think you need. The angle of observation from ground to bird can be very deceiving.

Rick

I use to race motorcycles in my local harescramble series. Those dang trees will jump out and get you when you least expect it. I am glad your phantom is not broken bad. I just flew my P2V+ for the 1st time today. Flew my P1 a lot and was comfortable. Now with the P2V+ i am nervous.

I bet you were running a sub 4 second 40 yard dash there at the end.......Looked just like me though the 1st time I downed my P1. I was Usain Bolt!!!

StangLuvr said:
I bet you were running a sub 4 second 40 yard dash there at the end.......Looked just like me though the 1st time I downed my P1. I was Usain Bolt!!!

oh god no, too old, and with these new hips i'm not even supposed to run!

lesson learned, and hopefully this new wire/cable is all the damage, but i did break a prop tip off..

and my compass looked in tact, and the other wire is the antenna... all good to go i hope!

Meta4 said:
It might help to use tweezers to replace the grey gimbal cables.
The other wire you mention if your antenna and quite normal
thanks for that idea, i did take the gimball off it's rubber isolators,
and took the plug out and stuck the wires back into the plug/connector
and attempted to reconnect into the gimbal, i thought it was good and
turned everything back on but still have no phantom battery indicator or satellite
indicator in my app on the phone. all else displays good, wifi indicator, tx battery,
and the SD card. camera/gimball works well, phantom fires up, blinking green,
with no props on in the house it blinked green like normal, and motors worked
as expected.

Prylar Bek said:
Wow. Doesn't take much to bring them down!

Man that's for sure. great video, that pine tree ***** will bring you down everytime. Hehe...that's why they use them for xmas tree toppers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik