First Impressions & Pic

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for all the info I've learned here. I thought I'd share my first impressions and photos:

I appreciate that this thing flew out of the box. The manual is a little hard to read, but the video tutorials are great.

I've been into and out of RC for 20 years... including 3 failed attempts to love gas powered heli's. I really wanted a well-sorted way to get in the air, see what the new technology looked like, and gauge how addictive (very!) it was going to become. I know some people have had issues, but the stabilization and intelligence in this thing is amazing, and it's a great way to bring more people successfully into the hobby. Mine has been amazingly durable so far - I hit a palm tree I was foolishly trying to make laps around, my wife nailed a wooden fence, and it ate its share of dirt on the first day or two. I'm still running the battered original props!

My only real gripe is the status LED... I'm red-green colorblind, so the status light is pretty much useless. I can mostly infer what it's telling me by count and pattern, but that could have been easier. In an age of cheap displays, surely there is a better way than trying to count and time a stupid blinking light. The red-green underbody lights don't help me much either - swapping them out will probably be project #1.

I haven't bought a GoPro yet, but I couldn't resist trying to get a few pics. This was taken with my cell phone electrical-taped to the GoPro mount and a time lapse app. :D Cheers!

Attachments

• tt_img_00030 (Small).jpg
    tt_img_00030 (Small).jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 531
Welcome

Good first shot. Very impressive.

For video, you will need to balance your props and use an isolation mount. Search the forum for more info

Darren

Thanks Darren!

I have two new sets of balanced props waiting to go, been saving them for when I sort out the camera. 90% sure I want the GoPro Black (although people here have some interesting alternatives)... may pick one up this weekend.

Dave

asynchronism said:
Thanks Darren!

I have two new sets of balanced props waiting to go, been saving them for when I sort out the camera. 90% sure I want the GoPro Black (although people here have some interesting alternatives)... may pick one up this weekend.

Dave

There is no alternative to the GoPro.

The Phantom was designed to carry it, there are accessories designed for it specifically and the Phantom specifically. Going with something else is a mistake.

If you wanted to go with something else, you should have purchased a larger bird.

D

What?!? There's a video floating around with one hefting a DSLR...

You are right about the GoPro - it seems like a no brainer, especially the low weight, and considering some of the gimbal choices.

It is really interesting to see some of the other stuff people have made for other small cameras, though... I have a lot of CNC equipment, and briefly considering making a proper mount for my Galaxy phone last weekend. That stuff is probably best saved for my next (larger) multi. Plus, apparently, my wife has rules... it's okay to endanger a $400 camera, but not a $400 cell phone.

I have seen the DSLR on the Phantom but that was a waste of time as the weight gave you no battery life and the stability was shot.

I have seen a few other camera solutions for the Phantom but all seem to be a waste of time....however with that said everyone may not be in position to fork over $400.00 for a GoPro but it really is the only way to go with the Phantom.

eckoner said:
I have seen the DSLR on the Phantom but that was a waste of time as the weight gave you no battery life and the stability was shot..

I was joking there! I've done some quick lifting experiments - the little Phantom might be able to lift it, but doesn't nearly have the kind of power to control any sort of payload like that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl