First Golf Course Video

Reaction score
Here's my first attempt at doing a video from tee to green. Possibly one of the first times I've ever made from the tee to green in one shot!

Got some footage of a Par 5 to edit now..

http://youtu.be/NKF12X1c6uo

Very impressive! I am trying to contact a local course to do the same thing as a promotional video on their website.
Can you tell me about your setup and what format the camera was recording in?

I just received my phantom this week and took it out for it's inaugural flight this evening. I have never flown before, RC or tethered and this thing is incredibly easy to fly! I just need to work on getting in tune with orientation but I was hovering anywhere from a few feet to way up where I couldn't see it.

Putting on the Hero tomorrow....this is utterly fantastic.

Tim T.

Hi Tim, did you look at the 18th hole video as well as I think that one is slightly better. I think the 15th is too slow. I'm using a GoPro Hero3 Black 1080 25fps (Pal) (although that one might have been 30fps (NTSC) with a Zenmuse H2-3D and Immersion FPV TX to a diversity 7" monitor mounted on my Futaba T8J TX.

I did not look at 18th hole but I will. Gosh, a lot more stuff to add...is this like a hole to money in? Why Futaba?
How do I get nice, constant slow forward movement, just a careful hand on the joysticks?

I'm going to do 1080 at 60fps since I have NTSC.

Tim T.

The stock TX is, in my mind & quiet a few others, very poor. The RX board is so small in the Phantom. The Futaba has dual antennas so less risk of a loss of connection but its safer if flying vertically up. Try a vertical climb above your head with the stock T and you'll lose connection. You can also program the Futaba TX to get more control. I've just programmed the yaw so when videoing its not as jumpy

Nice videos, golf courses are good for phantom videos. I live next door to one and they approached me to do a video for them. My main issue is the getting paid for it as its just a hobby and illegal here unless you have the correct license and I am not willing to spend that sort of money for just a one off type job.

Here is a little video I shot there, not any hole in particular just general flying around a few holes nearby.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkjNGQ04Q8c[/youtube]

Since then I have flown a few holes as a test flight for a full course preview but not sure if I will do it or not as yet. Maybe just for free and work something else out in terms of payment :lol: Just that I have some good ideas on how to make a very good course flyower along with on screen animations and such but doing too good a job would then likely attract more attention if my name is included so not really worth the risk. As its just coming out of winter now the course isnt in its best condition and so the full course preview if I do it wont be till later on.

They also want me to do a few other things and I will be seeing the manager again this week to see what sort of arrangements can be made. The above video was shot just line of sight and no gimbal so with FPV and gimbal results can be much better then that.

I may do a small video for them simply for permission to shoot more videos out on the course with some friends and its a handy place to fly where its cool for me to fly as long as I dont upset any golfers.

Cool video Matt. I'm doing some practice at my local club. Once I'm qualified then I'm going to see if any clubs will pay. Just need to get some footage for a portfolio. Here's the 18th on the same course.

http://youtu.be/F5DRIJl8748

Another video from Louth Golf Club. This one is overall coverage of the club

MKheng said:
Cool video Matt. I'm doing some practice at my local club. Once I'm qualified then I'm going to see if any clubs will pay. Just need to get some footage for a portfolio. Here's the 18th on the same course.

http://youtu.be/F5DRIJl8748

I could easily get into this aspect but in Australia the costs of getting a license to do this commercially is around $10,000 atm. Being an ex golf professional I have lots of good contacts around at the local clubs and will be doing some videos with a few of my friends that are playing the tours still, simply being given permission to fly along with making a public video they can embed or link to at no charge is fine for me atm.

I really do this purely as a hobby though and if it was more accessible for commercial use I would have a go at it but Im not willing to spend that sort of money for something I would only do part time. The laws are also forever changing and complete BS here atm so I dont think its worth the hassle or risk. I do like editing and flying multi's so could use the hobby into some extra income but not in our current system most likely.

I have made offers to several different places with the idea of a "donation" to my business. That is not charging for the video. Also, I emailed the regional FAA asking about it. They gave me a blow-off answer to check with my local FAA office. Apparently they don't know it is illegal. And, the nearest office is over 20 mils away. What they don't know won't hurt me.

Tim T.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers